I Would Love To Start A Business "someday"...(Long

Business By MommyBunny Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 2:10pm by mgdqueen

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 23

But I have noticed alot of people lately esp, thinking I am doing this for my health.

Church wants atleast 3 cakes donated for the fish fry cake wheel, every friday for like 7 or 8 weeks for a special lay down.

My bday is next week, so there's another one.

A coworker EXPECTS one on the 9th for her bday.

We have a lady retiring today and I made her a cake for the party. My idea, so I wasn't thinking about charging anything. It is a pot luck. A co-worker came into medical records and asked me to do a cake up another employee that is having a baby next month. YIKES!! I told her I didn't know how much to charge...she said "you can't charge us, you are donating it to the party." YIKES again.

For a first time in a long time, I was at a loss of words.

I am not sure what do say, I don't like drama but i am being taken advantage of.

Thanks for letting me vent.....any thoughts?

Patricia

22 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 23

Yeah, you need to start charging! Maybe the church, donate the first week and then let them know what they will cost from that point on.
Let the others know that you'll work up a design and price and get back with them.

Julie

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Quote:

I told her I didn't know how much to charge...she said "you can't charge us, you are donating it to the party." YIKES again.

WOW! That takes alot of nerve! Unfortunately, I think the only thing you can do is firmly, but politely tell people that you won't be able to do these cakes for free. I know this is hard, I've had to do it myself, but if you don't you'll probably end up like I did for awhile....I didn't even enjoy doing them, it was more of a chore. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 23

Wow, what do you mean you can not charge? I would tell all involved that you will begin charging for all cakes (except for a gift at your discression) March 1. If they complain let them! Cakes are expensive and time consuming and you are being taken advantage of.
Sorry but you will have to be firm and strong on this one!
Tracy

princess_tonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_tonya Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 23

I would tell her, "Yes I can charge you, I was planning on bringing some meatballs for the party, so if you would also like the cake, you can pay me xx dollars for it."

Good luck. Try and remember that you do this for fun and not let these people get to you.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 23

Are you married? My husband FORBADE me to do cakes for free. See if your husband is tired of footing the bill and the mess and the loss of your time and see if he will FORBID you to do them for free to!

"I'd love to, but my husband has told me that I am NOT allowed to do cakes for free anymore. It is too taxing on the household and he feels that HE deserves compensation."

I can NOT believe some peoples nerve to EXPECT you to make a cake. I would never do it for people so ungrateful! I love love love doing things for other people, I can have a million things to do and will drop everything to do something for someone else, but when people just EXPECT that you will do it, that isn't the same. Phooey with all of those people. Get your friend a nice card, do NOT make her a cake, you are under no obligation to do so. For all of these events would you pay for a gift for that person in the same value as what the cake costs you? Now factor in electricity, cleaning, your HOURS to make the silly thing, now how much is the "free" gift? Comes out to $30-50 depending on what you are making, and even for my closest friends I don't spend that much on a gift for them.

If it helps I FORBID you to do cakes for free. Tell them Alice will get me icon_lol.gif
[/b]

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 23

Then what is everyone else "donating" to this employee's party? You are going to have to start saying no, I know its not easy, but say you cannot afford to do it for free. Its one thing if you are doing it because you want to, another when its just expected of you. Don't feel guilted into it, why should you be spending out of your own pocket? There is no excuse at an office either, when everyone only has to chip in a couple of dollars to cover the cost (and if people don't want to do that, then why should YOU be footing the bill?!)

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 23

I agree with Princess Tonya, at the next potluck, bring another dish, NOT CAKE. You are under no obligation to provide cake at every gathering. Maybe this will get across the point, that while you enjoy doing cakes, you don't enjoy doing them for free ALL THE TIME!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 23

make up a price list and whenever anyone starts to talk about cake donations..you can quietly hand them the list with a great big smile!

eventually they will get the hint

MommyBunny Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 23

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

I get it!!!! Charge them!!!!

Actually, I love a couple of ideas....I will tell everybunny..."Alice says I have to charge." That way I am not making the decision. icon_lol.gif Alice did.

And the sheet for the prices and walk away...again no drama. icon_lol.gif

And no more cakes to pot lucks, lets drive them crazy, how about cole slaw?

I went to the pot luck around 12, and everyone raved about the cake, one lady asked what bakery made it and another another gal, said "Patty cakes made it". The look of shock was crazy. They thought it was store bought. I told her no this is better than store bought, it's "Patty made".

Patricia

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 23

When people come begging for cakes especially fornon-profit organizations; I politely state "Sweetie, when I can get eggs, butter, flour, sugar, vanilla and especially chocolate for free. You can get a free cake."
HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefAngie

When people come begging for cakes especially fornon-profit organizations; I politely state "Sweetie, when I can get eggs, butter, flour, sugar, vanilla and especially chocolate for free. You can get a free cake."
HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING!

OMG I love this...can I steal it and put on my web site? You can't believe the amount of "FREEBIES" I get asked for!

lol

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 23

I know how easy it can be to fall into this pattern. I started making cakes in November, and I brought one practice cake to our safety meeting at work that month.

Then I brought another practice cake to the December meeting.

At the January meeting, one of the guys looked at me and said, "Where's the cake?"

I just told him in a comically haughty tone of voice, "Those were PRACTICE cakes. I don't NEED any more practice." Everyone got a good chuckle and I was off the hook for providing the goodies every month.

It's easier if you use humor to break the tension when you turn them down for their free sugar fix. thumbs_up.gif

meihana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meihana Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 23

Yup, I had to suck it up and stop making cakes for every one of my personal get-togethers... because people got the idea that since I could make them for my personal parties so easily, that they somehow cost no money. I actually had people show up to my last get-together and say "Where's the cake?" It finally hit home. I explained that they cost money and take a lot of time. I stopped getting the "can you just throw a quick cake together for my next _____?" questions.

Be tough. Your work is worth the money!

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:25pm
post #15 of 23

People will never understand that it takes time to make and decorate cakes. I have the same problem. It's not that the ingredients are THAT expensive, but our time is valuable!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 23

Boy, oh boy do I feel your pain right now!

I've been doing "practice" cakes every weekend for the past 2 months. When I tell people how long they have taken me to do ("I spent 5 hours on this yesterday and another 2 hours this morning"), they don't jump right up and ask for freebies as much. I know it will take me less time to make them as I get better at it, but I'm learning to stress to people the "cost" of making these cakes! (In a very friendly and fun way, of course.)

At your office, I would say that your contribution could be a "discounted" cake and tell them you are charging less than you would to another customer. I started charging some of my friends $25 for my practice cakes, and they must call me with feedback after their event (if I wasn't in attendance) and save me a piece to taste.

Thanks to everyone who posted- you've made my day! icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 23

I used to tell people I'd be happy to donate my time doing the baking and decorating if they "donated" the ingredients.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 23

In order to make sure these people know that you are now charging, you HAVE to make up a price & flavor list. That way, it shows them you are serious & professional.

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiBakes

I used to tell people I'd be happy to donate my time doing the baking and decorating if they "donated" the ingredients.

That's perfect--I love it!

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:17am
post #20 of 23

I started charging everyone. Even my parents pay for their birthday cakes (that is just the supplies cost) but still. Money does not grow on trees.

dkjjsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkjjsmom Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #21 of 23

My daughter and I have been doing this just a short time and we aren't comfy selling cakes yet. We know all the flaws, yet no one else seems to notice, thely seem perfectly happy. We will make a free "practice" cake for an event once a month but tell everyone who asks that since we are still practicing we will sell cakes for ingredients cost plus $10 "labor" but they need to know they are getting a "pratice cake" and it might not be perfect.

MommyBunny Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:02pm
post #22 of 23

Here we go again...I walked into school this morning and told them I wouls be brining cakes by in the morning for the fish fry. Shannon said "don't forget about the PTO meeting tuesday", Marybeth said, "that's her bday, so shes probley not coming." Shannon said "Oh, she's coming she's bringing the cake."

I have never opened my mouth until them. I said.....be proud of me......

Alice said I had to start charging for my cakes!!!

Yes, I said it and Shannon said you can't charge for your cake, I said well, guess I am not getting one. (But everybunny knows, I will have one at home. icon_biggrin.gif

I did good!!!

Patricia

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:10pm
post #23 of 23

Good for you!!! Now stick to your guns! When you WANT to do a cake, you decide. It's not for somebody else to decide who and what you donate to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%