Some Of Your Favorite Things???

Decorating By lilkimberb Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 3:54am by all4cake

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #1 of 15

Well I got a birthday gift from my boss and co-workers and (drum roll) it was a 50.00 gift certificate to our only real cake decorating store!!!! I am just starting to decorate cakes and I am wondering what is something you couldn't do without? I have lots of tips and pans. But what are some other must haves?? I am so excited I recieved a KA mixer for my birthday as well.

TIA for all you suggestions

Kim

14 replies
lilkimberb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:23am
post #2 of 15

Now I can't get that stupid song out of my head!! And it is almost time for bed. AHHHHHHHH icon_mad.gif

lilkimberb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:35am
post #3 of 15

anyone?????

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:41am
post #4 of 15

Hey Kimber........being new to the decorating scene too I can tell you I have invested in lots of tips, pans, cakeboards, doilies, americolors of all sorts, lots of disposable icing bags, and a few books. What I am going to start purchasing now is the luster dusts etc....Do you have a nice selection of the luster dust stuff yet?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I am glad they gave you a gift certificate so you can go get what you need. icon_smile.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:44am
post #5 of 15

I have a wish list of cake things I want so when a Michaels coupon comes out, I just glance at my list. A few items on my list (various prices):

1. good turntable
2. impression mats for fondant work
3. cool cookie cutters
4. edible markers (for decorating fondant)
5 more cake pans
6. luster dust
7. more Americolor
8. Airbrush
9. pearl mold (fondant pearl maker)
10.scrapbook paper so I can cover my cakeboards

I also add on my list as I read about them on CC.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #6 of 15

Tug is correct listing a turntable as a must have! I forgot that is one of the very first things I got and am so glad I did. The fondant pearl maker would be a good thing to get because they run upwards of around 25.00 I think. The Impression mats are another thing I need to start collecting. There is sooooooooo much! icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:50am
post #7 of 15

I would say good turntable, I got the wilton professional one (not tilting) and it didnt work well, but wilton was kind enough to send me a new one that is fabulous (the old one was missing a part--didnt know that at the time though)..... I love Americolors (but not sure if the cake shop you are going to has them).......and I think I would probably buy stuff for fondant work (rolling pins--if you need one, impression mats, etc etc).

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:56am
post #8 of 15

happy birthday lilkimberb! and im new to cake decourating too. i kick myself because ive spent way too much money on cake supplies and i haven't really started baking much! but one thing that i should have gotten and would of been very very useful is a turntable!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:10am
post #9 of 15

Happy Birthday and I have to agree with the other ladies that a turntable is a must. I actually bought mine from a bakery that sells cake supplies in MS and they make their own turntables and I got it for $16 and I LOVE it. I would get a good roller for fondant and other fondant tools (such as smoother, cutters, etc.) The Wilton Fondant Mat is a huge help for me when cutting ribbons and other straight lines because of the lines on the mat with the inches already meausred out. Pearl Dust is a good thing to stock up on because if you have it you will use it.

I bought the cake leveler and used it for a about the first year but now i just cut with a knife.

Oh, I would get large cooling racks (non stick). I started out with two small ones (like from Walmart) now I have 4 of those and 4 of the large ones. Racks would be 2nd on my list. icon_smile.gif

HTH
bj icon_wink.gif

adrisss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adrisss Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:14am
post #10 of 15

Books, Books, Books,

Ebooks

Dvds and decorating videos is what has help me a lot in my cake decorating, you can learn so much

and cake and cupcakes stands, to display them

aslo a must have is a tool box

and I also bought an organizer cart to have all my equipment and pans organized.

icon_smile.gif

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:49am
post #11 of 15

i agree with what everyone above has said, but a few other things i can't live without are my little pairing knife, its great for cutting fine details when you are using fondant. if you are going to buy luster dust (which is a must have) then i would recomment lots of little paint brushes, i never seem to have enough of them as well as some little pots to mix it in. i buy the little weekly pil containers as they are a good size and have a lid then you just add more liquid when you want to use that color again...

cheers

and happy birthday

kylie

lilkimberb Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to invest in a turn table. And look around for some other stuff. I did buy some of the dusts off of CC. And they work GREAT.

Thanks everyone

Kim

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 15

Definitely a turntable first...

I love my cordless Dremels...airbrush...

I don't think you can have too many spatulas or small bowls

maybe, you can talk an employee out of a couple of those dangly things called clip strips...they're great for hanging your bags from for drying and storing.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:28am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I love my cordless Dremels....

all4cake, how do you use your dremel in cake decorating? Sounds interesting.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #15 of 15

for cutwork in molded sugar...sanding gumpaste pieces(like the edges of the shoes)...for drilling holes in plastic dowels for running wiring for lights and things...they're handy for all kinds of things

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%