If This Doesn't Make You Laugh.......

Decorating By JodieF Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm by kjgjam22

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:19am
post #1 of 62

...nothing will! icon_biggrin.gif

Last week several wonderful CC'ers gave me the recipe for Toba Garrett's Chocolate Fudge Cheesecake Cake. I was going to make it for a function last weekend, but it got cancelled due to horrible weather. I'd made the cheesecake, so I had tucked it in the freezer.
Anyway, I'm going to the ICE conference with a bunch of my co-workers tomorrow, so I thought I'd make this outrageous cake to surprise them (hauling it 300 miles...fun, fun). So, yesterday I come home from work and get out my mixer and ingredients to make the fudge cakes. I need my 10 inch pans. Where are my 10 inch pans???? Well, no luck....tore up the kitchen. I probably loaned them out. No biggie...head to the store..there's no such things are owning too many pans, is there? FIVE STORES later I find 10 inch round pans. Yikes!

I head home, barely avoided a 4 car collision. I catch my breath and start in on the cakes. Cream the butter, add sugar....knock 10 pound container of sugar on the floor, where most of the spilled sugar goes down the heating vent, which is stupidly right under my feet. Stop mixer, get vacuum. Clean up worst of the sugar. Woo hoo...there's enough sugar that didn't hit the floor to make the cake. Take another deep breath. Add dry ingredients, fetch eggs and buttermilk. Buttermilk container slides out from under arm and flips mid-air. Buttermilk lands on the dog, who, of course, is licking up sugar that I'd missed with the vacuum. Dog isn't happy about cold buttermilk and starts to shake then runs for the living room and dives under the couch. Stop mixer. Drag dog from under couch. Bath dog. Get out mop. Mop the trail dog left in living room, dining room and kitchen. Pull out pre-heated stove to get at the buttermilk that went under it. Praise heaven that I had bought 2 quarts of buttermilk!
Hubby arrives home....takes one look at my face and heads immediately for the bedroom. Coward! icon_razz.gif
Back to the cake.....add buttermilk...turn on mixer, which immediately throws buttermilk into my face and straight down my shirt. At this point, who cares???
Cakes made it to oven, smelled heavenly. Managed to get them out of pans without breaking them. Miracles DO happen!!! Take shower to clean off buttermilk while drinking a very large glass of wine!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

61 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:24am
post #2 of 62

ROFLMAO!!!!

I can see it all....SO Funny!

glad it all worked out in the end

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:30am
post #3 of 62

OH that is funny! Good to know we all have our DAYS......you poor thing!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:30am
post #4 of 62

thanks for sharing that. i don't feel so bad about my bad day now!

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:31am
post #5 of 62

TOO FUNNY!!
Don't forget to let your friends know how indebted they are to you for bringing it along!

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:31am
post #6 of 62

ROFLMAO....at least YOU can see the humour in it all. I'd probably be steaming mad, give up and drink all night!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:33am
post #7 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Hubby arrives home....takes one look at my face and heads immediately for the bedroom. Coward! icon_razz.gif

ROFL!!! That part made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair!!!

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:33am
post #8 of 62

How funny! I feel so sorry for you. Do you know the whole time I was reading this, I thought you were going to say you found your pan in the freezer. I've done that before! icon_eek.gif

wesmanfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wesmanfamily Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #9 of 62

Oh you poor, poor girl. What we go through to feed our addiction!!! (Cake decorating) So glad it all was ok in the end though!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #10 of 62

Please tell me that somehow you keep a hidden camera on at all times. icon_lol.gif I think sometimes I'm the only one having those kind of days.
I'm so glad the cakes turned out fine.

newcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:35am
post #11 of 62

I am glad that you can see the humor in it too. i would have been in tears by the time my hubby came home. thank you for the chuckle though!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #12 of 62

That's what I thought...your pans were in the freezer....! Are they??

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:37am
post #13 of 62

I would have given up at the 2nd store lol

JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:43am
post #14 of 62

Nope...still haven't found the pans. I'm so bad about loaning things out and never getting them back!
Believe me, I had a few choice words to yell, but when the buttermilk hit my face and down my shirt all I could do was laugh. The hubby came carefully out of the bedroom to make sure I wasn't having a breakdown!

The cake is INCREDIBLE, btw.....I just hope it TASTES good enough to be worth all the trouble!!! *lol*

Oh....that sucker weighs 12 pounds!!!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:43am
post #15 of 62

I kept waiting for you to say that you found your cake pans in the pre-heated oven.

I'm glad that things turned out and I hope your friends appreciated all the trouble you went through to bake a nice surprise for them!!

~Annie

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:51am
post #16 of 62

All I can say is that they better eat every last bit of that cake or I know someone will be force feeding them!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Very funny story...thanks for sharing. I'll try to remember this the next time disaster hits!

-Michelle

JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:10am
post #17 of 62

oh...as to my friends.....one of them was feeling down today, so I e-mailed them all the "cake saga" to give them a laugh. I immediately got back "Is that cake for us?? Please tell us it's for us! What kind is it? Are you bringing it to Chicago?"....*lol* I didn't tell them what the cake was though. icon_rolleyes.gif I think I've spoiled them!
I made Snickers cookies to take for the drive....no trauma there though!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:14am
post #18 of 62

Great story! I have felt this way so many times too!

So now, you HAVE to share this recipe...my mouth is watering!

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:21am
post #19 of 62

So funny. Its good to know everyone has days like that. I agree with mconrey my mouth is defiently watering. Hope you post the recipe...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:38am
post #20 of 62

You tell a great story...thanks for the laugh! icon_lol.gif

JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:40am
post #21 of 62

Well, it won't let me attach a Word document......*grring*

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #22 of 62

I am so sorry you had such a horrible time! It is always surprising how many things can go wrong once it starts. icon_eek.gif

When you get a chance, be sure to post what everyone thinks of your creation--because it sure sounds delightfully yummy! (And enjoy your trip!)

JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #23 of 62

Adobe sure made that a pain in the behind....icon_surprised.gif
Here you go....I hope it makes sense.

The cake is gorgeous, over 4 inches tall, weighs 12 pounds. It's got to be rich and totally decadant. The Chocolate Buttercream is the best I've ever tasted. I posted a different thread about it weeks ago.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #24 of 62

I'm glad to see that others have their bad days, although, I must say, you handled it a lot better than I would have!! I'm glad it all turned out well in the end!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:02am
post #25 of 62

wow, that sounds like the night i had. let's see. went to make buttercream dream, got everything out to make it, slopped two sticks of butter into the mixer bowl, turned that bad boy on medium and then threw in the crisco. crisco went flying all over the kitchen, on me, the tea kettle, walls, floor, (not the kids, whew). started adding in the 2 pounds of confectioners sugar, but forgot to put the mixer to low, confectioners sugar snow storm in the kitchen, sticks to the crisco i failed to clean up. this time, 17 month old twin boys are covered in snow and think it's funny. decide to get a sponge and damp paper towel (i am a paper towel addict) and clean up the crisco and the sugar (including the babies).

finally get the buttercream made and need to turn it black for a fbct. stick my hand in the black coloring (then subsequently, the yellow, brown and blue. i was making a ducky in a basket with easter eggs) and now i have what looks like a coloring book for a hand. how do you get gel color out from under your fingernail anyway?

finished my fbct and decided to sit down, on my butt and go ahead and indulge in some chocolate chip cookies and a few minutes of cc.... ahhhhh!

thankyouverymuch, i'll be here all night. don't forget to tip your waitress and try the pork!

JodieF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:07am
post #26 of 62

*lol* who knows? Maybe I get my patience from being a mom for so many years...or from teaching computers to 3-11 year olds....or from dealing with 55 teachers every day whose EMERGENCIES turn out to be paper jams or loose cords!
I'm just hope I get a little GOOD karma from all of that mess!

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:15am
post #27 of 62

Thanks for the recipe Jodi! That is going to be my next birthday cake for myself! YUM!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #28 of 62

That was funny! I thought for sure though that you were gonna say after all that that your 10" cake pans were in the freezer with cheesecakes in 'em.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:08pm
post #29 of 62

Thanks for sharing!!!! You tell great stories I could actually the scene! icon_lol.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:13pm
post #30 of 62

At the risk of sounding 'racy', I'd have scrubbed the cake and followed your husband to the bedroom and called it a day! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%