Where To Find Monograms?

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 12:45am by SILVERCAT

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:36am
post #1 of 14

Hey y'all -- I have a cake coming up this weekend and I am putting a monogram on it. I got the monogram by going to my Microsoft Word and picking out fonts I liked, blowing them way up and colorflowing them.

My question is: That worked well for me this time, but there are times I want a really pretty monogram but I cannot seem to locate a font I like. I've seen monograms on searches but you have to pay big $$$ for them -- is there an easier way???

13 replies
calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #2 of 14

Try Dafont.com, many of the fonts there are free. Be careful about downloading too many though. I have a mac and verify each font to make sure that there are no issues but with a pc I would be extra cautious because of crashes. HTH

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:41am
post #3 of 14

Are you looking for computer font's? Try acidfonts.com they are free I think........................... icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 14

No, not necessarily computer fonts, just pretty monograms I can flow for cakes. To date I've been using my computer fonts which are okay, but there's nothing like a really pretty monogram!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #5 of 14

I have a really cheap scrapbook program on my computer that has a ton of font on it! I pick out my font adn go from there with it! I did the writing on my daughters cake and my anniversary cake.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:13am
post #6 of 14

I know what you mean about monograms. They are kind of interlinked. You can really get that with a regular font. I've been looking too, and all the monogram stuff is $$$. icon_mad.gif

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #7 of 14

This might be a stupid question.
I see 3 intials at times.
What do the middle stands for?

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #8 of 14

In a Nicholas Lodge book I had borrowed (Sugarcraft 1, maybe), he uses pretty font but traced each letter onto a square of wax paper so that they could then be arranged together (linked) and then draw them together on another sheet of waxed paper. Then do the color flow. Does that make any sense?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

This might be a stupid question.
I see 3 intials at times.
What do the middle stands for?

Usually when there are 3 initials, the first one is the brides, the middle one is the groom's last name, and third is the groom's.

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deester

In a book I had borrowed (Sugarcraft 1, maybe), he uses pretty font but traced each letter onto a square of wax paper so that they could then be arranged together (linked) and then draw them together on another sheet of waxed paper. Then do the color flow. Does that make any sense?

I have all three sugarcraft books (been hooked on book 3 lately icon_biggrin.gif ), I should know that!! I also noticed that Toba had some great ideas for monogram how-tos in her book. What I did was find a font I liked and individually did the letters in color flow, then gilded them in gold. With the gold dust roses it looked fabulous!! icon_lol.gif

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 14

I'm just glad you knew what I was talking about icon_confused.gif !!

I haven't tried anything out of that book yet, but I aspire to someday! The color flow collars (?) are amazing - I can only dream....

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks mgdqueen !

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 14

Here's that monogrammed cake I spoke of.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-320653.html

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:45am
post #14 of 14

AWESOME, cake thanks for sharing with us you finished it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%