Comments On Pictures

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm by mvigil

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:24pm
post #91 of 145

adven68

I just meant that the uglier my cake is, the more praise I need to go on....
Never meant to say that pros shouldn't get them, obviously they deserve it a whole lot more.

I have to say that I'm always a bit reticent to add a comment to the most fabulous cakes just because I don't know how much it would mean to get a comment from someone as "cakeignorant" as me. So I only commented on a few ones and then I think to myself " Your not even worthy of commenting this cake"

anyway, I didn't mean anything bad. I love everyones work, patience, knowledge, humour, stories etc.

It's just great being here! icon_smile.gif

[/quote]

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #92 of 145

Here's what gets me..... when i first joined...it seemed like ok great...a gallery to put pictures...comments were nice to get etc.

But now...omg what controversy...
First it was we weren't commenting enough
then we weren't saying the right thing
then they are too short....or insincere...
or too harsh or patronizing
And apparently we shouldn't save a pic without commenting....no wonder people aren't commenting enough in the gallery....how can you possibly follow the right rules???

Its a gallery....put your pictures there...if you get comments great...if you don't ...why worry about it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:40pm
post #93 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

Here's what gets me..... when i first joined...it seemed like ok great...a gallery to put pictures...comments were nice to get etc.

And apparently we shouldn't save a pic without commenting....no wonder people aren't commenting enough in the gallery....how can you possibly follow the right rules???

Its a gallery....put your pictures there...if you get comments great...if you don't ...why worry about it?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
You know ..... that says it all in a nutshell! thumbs_up.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:42pm
post #94 of 145
Quote:

WOW--- well this certainly wasn't my intent (with my posts)......but I guess I will not say anymore on the subject!

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:46pm
post #95 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by minie

I think it's sad that some people don't see a difference between those who do it for a living and those who do it for fun.

If you don't know the person's history, then it is not possible to determine whether they do it for a living or simply for fun. I have seen novices that are simply better at what they do than many pros....and vice versa. That being said, I also think that an ol' pro might need a push now and then....some just get burned out and a positive comment may help them get through a rough patch....not everyone is sure of themselves...even at a professional level....hence, the perfectionism of some and the "I could have done better" attitude of others. (myself included icon_smile.gif )

However, I do not condone the empty compliment. My philosophy is to not say anything if it is not positive...unless you specifically ask for advice.

Well said. Just what I was thinking.

ge978 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:51pm
post #96 of 145
Quote:
Quote:

WOW--- well this certainly wasn't my intent (with my posts)......but I guess I will not say anymore on the subject!

Ok..see what i mean though...you can't say anything here without upsetting people....it was not directed toward you or anyone else in particular. Iwas simply stating how i felt about the whole "comment on a picture" thing

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:57pm
post #97 of 145

Okay. . .

1. Just comment on the pictures that you'd like to comment on. Don't just comment so that you can become a gallery supporter.

2. If you want to be critiqued, and don't get angry if someone gives their honest opinion.

3. If you'd like to give constructive criticism, do so in a respectful manner.

4. Don't fret over people not commenting on your pictures; there are many variables that must be taken into consideration.

5. Keep uploading pictures. No matter how great or not-so-great, we will all learn SOMETHING (whether something to do or not do) from it.

thumbs_up.gif I think that's what we've learned from this thread; now let's end it.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:02pm
post #98 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneK

took me ages before I was accepted as a gallery supporter....but eventually I just got notified.

Sometimes if a person has said they had trouble with a certain aspect of there cake I will give them a tip which has helped me.

Lots of times, I will find a cake wonderful...maybe not for it's execution but for other aspects of it...the imagination, the colours, the overall design..even if it is obviously done by a beginner. Sometimes, you can see huge potential as a decorator even if the person has a ways to go with certain techniques...

More than not, I have spent entire evenings trying to leave meaningful comment on pages and pages of uploaded cakes and I know this is true of other gallery supporters.. we don't just look at obviously fabulous cakes done by star members..we look at all the cakes but it takes a while to get through them when so many are uploaded per day.

I feel sort of bad that we can't get through them and because of that, some of you guys think your cakes aren't worthy of comments..NOT TRUE...just a matter of having the time to do so..

Heck, I know I am long-winded but the length of this is icon_redface.gif

I agree wit you! In addition, CC has been fortunate enough to have a large number of newcomers in the past few months and many of them will upload a quantity of pics of their past cakes so they can have the pics all in one place and get feedback. This will sometimes move the pics through the viewing faster and then some don't get commented on. Truly, if all the people who save a pic to their favorites and don't comment, would comment we'd make a serious dent in the backlog. As for what to comment, I'm like JaneK, go with your gut.... if wowwww is the first thing that pops into your head, then say it! I'm sure we can all figure out what you're trying to say with that one word. Newbies and experienced alike, we all need each others support and that in my mind is what the comments on photos is all about.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:10pm
post #99 of 145

[quote="stephanie214"]
Couple of reasons why the pages fill so quickly is due to members loading a lot of pictures at one time or loading different angles of their cake(s). Yes, I was guilty of that also until I learned to stack the different angles on the main picture so that I only load the one picture now...slow at learning that trick icon_biggrin.gif
quote]

Wish there was a tutorial for stacking pictures into one shot. I have a photo program and have never been able to figure out how to do more than crop and resize. icon_smile.gif

I try to comment when I see a cake I like. I don't always have time to spend more than a few minutes reading the threads on the home page. Usually on Sunday afternoons I find I can look at the last uploads. One thing I don't do is when I use a search for ideas is I put them in my favs without making a comment. I will try to do better as I have done mnay of those type searches. It always amazes me the talent on this board. What we all have to remember is that Our firts cakes weren't perfect either. If you want a good laugh some day go back and find pics from your first cakes. I found some from when I self taught myself enough to make my girls birthday cakes when they were little. Let me just say some of the pics I found were from 1975. I didn't take my Wilton Classes untill 2000. I also still keep my class cake pics in my book. It kind of keeps me grounded.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #100 of 145

whether...old or young....beginner or expert....newbie or spend too much time here icon_lol.gif ...talented or not......if youre uploading pictures for comments then do what i've seen several do ....upload your picture....then start a thread about the picture you uploaded....then all your bases are covered! thumbs_up.gif

and now....we can argue over that!!

and I think what ge was trying to get at ...is no matter what who where or how....something is always picked apart and debated around here! dare I say mix vs scratch?? licensed vs homebaker??

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:22pm
post #101 of 145
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Ok..see what i mean though...you can't say anything here without upsetting people....it was not directed toward you or anyone else in particular. Iwas simply stating how i felt about the whole "comment on a picture" thing

GE I am not upset at all! What I meant was the intent of the original poster (and mine as well) seemed to be getting lost...and I wasnt sure if I was helping or hurting the cause so I figured I would just bow out....I did not in any way feel targeted....everyone has a right to their own opinion! I just didnt want people to think that I was trying to establish "rules" I just happen to be one of those people who love comments....it just makes my day, maybe because I am a SAHM and this is my outlet to talk to other adults...who knows (clearly I need to get out more)!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:32pm
post #102 of 145

I just got a compliment on a cake and now I wonder was it someone that came across my cake and wanted to say something or was it a Gallery Supporter that was suppose to comment.

I don't know if I want to post more pictures. It makes me feel funny that someone is commenting because that is what they volunteered to do.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:36pm
post #103 of 145

For the newbie starting out. Do you think they really want your honest opion....NO!!!
Their feelings would be so hurt.
For the person further on in their career...You tell them what your honest opion and they are floored.
Not every one of those comments are sincere...Why lie? My mom told me and I tell my kids....NEVER LIE AND DON'T HURT SOMEONES FEELINGS!!!
If someone ask for constructive comments then don't be offended if you get squashed.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:36pm
post #104 of 145

I think the original poster (correct me if I'm wrong!!) just wanted to let people know that it would be nice if they commented on the cakes that they liked because there are so many cakes being uploaded all the time.

Not sure where the "controversy" is in that, but it has nothing to do about being sincere, or critiquing the cakes. Just leaving a comment.

Which brings me to the "rules" of leaving comments. There are no rules on how to leave a comment!!!! You don't have to leave intensely scripted replies that account for every detail of the cake. I am not a literary expert. If I like a cake, then I say so. End of story. To those that like extensive detail and want thorough assesment...then say so in your cake description, and I hope you get it. icon_wink.gif

I don't think this is a debate of any sort, and I don't think it should turn into one. It was just an observation to encourage everyone to take a moment and maybe look at the new uploads to see if there's a cake that catches your eye. That's all. The thread actually helped quite a few people realize that there's a recent upload feature to those that weren't aware of it.

Encouragement can help us stay motivated, and it helps us bond as decorators. It's not to justify our work. A compliment is a good thing.

What's wrong with letting someone know that you appreciate their work? Those that don't want any comments can always chose the feature to disable that part of their gallery.

Sorry for the long post.
Angie

nglez09 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:41pm
post #105 of 145

These threads always end up like this. thumbsdown.gif Scratch vs. boxed, freezing vs. not freezing, home bakers vs.. . . .

. . .isn't it funny? They are like politics in the cake world! Republicans vs. democrats, Iraq vs. neutrality. . .

What was the original intent of the thread?

nglez09 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #106 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

it would really help us out if the general population would leave a comment on cakes they like - especially if you save it to your favourite photos - lots of the uncommented photos are saved in people's favourites, and that to me is really sad icon_sad.gif . It only takes a few seconds to make a comment, not much longer than it does to save it thumbs_up.gif ! So, please don't let so many talented cake decorators get ignored - thanks everyone, this is a great community thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

That's all that needs to be said. If you like a cake so much that you add it to your favorites, why not just give it a quick praise? thumbs_up.gif

That's all. I think the points have been made. . .now let's just end it. thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:48pm
post #107 of 145

Back to the business at hand.......I have tried to leave comments on cakes but for some reason when I click on the photo it takes an obessively long time to load. Hence I have given up. That brings me to another point, please donate.

ge978 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:49pm
post #108 of 145

Why do we have to end it? icon_confused.gif So far...its not turning nasty...and its a debate. Why can't we all just discuss it without it being ended or locked?

Sometimes I think it helps when everyone can discuss a subject from different angles and give opinions. And everyone has the option to stop reading the thread.

khoudek Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 8:50pm
post #109 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I just got a compliment on a cake and now I wonder was it someone that came across my cake and wanted to say something or was it a Gallery Supporter that was suppose to comment.

I don't know if I want to post more pictures. It makes me feel funny that someone is commenting because that is what they volunteered to do.

As a Gallery Supporter, I just want you to know that we don't have to comment on cakes. We like to look at the cakes and as a Supporter we then actively comment so people know we appreciate their work. It isn't a homework assignment to us. So take the compliment at face value. It is truly meant.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:00pm
post #110 of 145

IMHO, and this is the way I was brought up, you be grateful for anything that comes your way. Compliments included. One of these days, when I become computer literate, I will post the few cakes I have done. IF I receive and comments good or bad, long or short. I will be thrilled.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm
post #111 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

I'm a gallery supporter, but I would never make a less-than-honest comment on a cake. All my comments are completely sincere. I hope others can say the same!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #112 of 145

Janette wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

When I was in art school, and I am sure this is the same way for musicians, and dancers and anyone creative who has gone through formal schooling.....we were critiqued on our work. Our teachers were paid to critique us. Pieces were examined and good points commented on and weak areas were pointed out. This was so we could get better.

Getting a "real" critique is extremely uncomfortable and most people have never been through the ropes.

But either way....think of it as a way to improve your piece, because that is why I volunteer.

khoudek Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:14pm
post #113 of 145

As a side note. I don't know if this posting has anything to do with the number of photos commented on in the past few hours but..... the number of uncommented pages has gone from 11 to 4. Thanks to everyone who took the time to not only view someone else's work, but to let that person know you appreciate his or her efforts!!! Great job!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:22pm
post #114 of 145

ditto to HollyPJ!! and khoudek!!!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:32pm
post #115 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

As a side note. I don't know if this posting has anything to do with the number of photos commented on in the past few hours but..... the number of uncommented pages has gone from 11 to 4. Thanks to everyone who took the time to not only view someone else's work, but to let that person know you appreciate his or her efforts!!! Great job!

I was just going to post about this! Whether or not you agree with my original post, it has made a difference - from 11 pages last night (around 550 pictures with no comments), down to 4 pages now (around 200 uncommented pictures). So thanks to all of you who made an effort! To those who think the role of a Gallery Supporter is to make pity posts on pictures - you couldn't be more wrong! Our role is to make sure every cake is viewed, very recently we had a new member who uploaded 400+ pictures over a few days, and that caused so many pictures from other members to be lost amongst them - so, so many beautiful cakes were left uncommented.

No-one forces us to make comments, just as no-one is forcing anyone else - and yes, if you don't like anything about a cake, then you don't have to comment! My intention when originally making this post, was to highlight a situation that, unless you were a gallery supporter (so you had access to all the uncommented photos), most people would be unaware of - that's all, plain and simple thumbs_up.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 9:45pm
post #116 of 145

Hi,

This is an important post about the speed of your computer

Waiting for photos to upload can be very frustrating. If you have dial-up service only, you're going to have to wait a long time no matter how many servers Cakecentral adds. That's just the sad fact of dial up! (I hope the high speed internet fairy visits you all soon icon_smile.gif ).

I have high speed internet, and sometimes it takes a while to load pictures, especially during peak hours, but often it happens quite quickly.

There are things that could be affecting your internet speed that you're unaware of.

The following is from Discover magazine's (a science and technology magazine) most recent issue:

The article is about spam--

"About 74.4 percent of all spam came from Internet addresses in the United States. Why? Spammers infect unprotected personal computers with viruses to do their dirty work. More computers with high-speed internet connections mean more raw material for spammers. Criminals link hijacked personal computers together to form "botnets"--clusters of infected PCs that spammers can control from anywhere in the world."

If you have high-speed internet, but your computer is running very slow, you could be infected in such a way or have other virus/spyware problems. PLEASE keep your virus protection software up-to-date (new viruses are created all the time and the software is only useful if it's current) and make sure it's in use on your computer. If you're having speed problems with your computer and there doesn't seem to be a good reason, you may want to have your computer checked by a professional.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but I think many people are unaware of the damage viruses and other bad stuff can do to your computer. Don't assume you're immune.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #117 of 145

HollyPJ, that is so true. Hubby runs SpyBot on our very regularly, ever since it practically shut down. One of the most common ways these things get in here is when you enter a new website and just click the "I Agree" box without reading it. We found that we were "agreeing" to allow them to put software on our computer to monitor every website we went to. Sorry, gang, but I don't live in 1984 and I don't want Big Brother in my living room!

SpyBot. If you don't have it....get it.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:09pm
post #118 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

These threads always end up like this. thumbsdown.gif Scratch vs. boxed, freezing vs. not freezing, home bakers vs.. . . .

. . .isn't it funny? They are like politics in the cake world! Republicans vs. democrats, Iraq vs. neutrality. . .

What was the original intent of the thread?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That makes me think of the thread about the dissapearing thread that ended up being locked. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just love CC icon_wink.gif

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:10pm
post #119 of 145

Okay, I usually sit idly by and watch the chickens peck, but....there was a comment about how "newbies" don't want honest critique. That is not necessarily true...I posted my first FBCT (and only 2nd cake) on a thread asking that people look at it and advise me on how to get it flatter to the cake, etc....I think I had two people respond. I was actually seeking help, NOT compliments on my cake. I don't expect to get better without the help of others. I too think that sometimes it's hard to find your place on here (if your a total amatuer) amongst such talent! I can only hope to be as good as most of the people on here so....help me out!

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 10:17pm
post #120 of 145

I have been watching this thread for a few days and need to put in my 2 cents. I never made a cake before my Wilton I class in January. Now I am taking the Fondant class. I post alll my pics so that I can trace my progress and see how far I have come (since it can get frustrating at times). As a newbie that just had someone post a comment on a cake and make two of them favorites it feels good and keeps me going. I am so pumped for class tonight.

Thank you bonjovibabe!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%