Gifts That You Just Really Could Live Without...

Lounge By MainCake Updated 30 Dec 2005 , 12:05am by mommachris

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, my question is: What do you do with gifts that you hate or just don't want/like?

Reason for asking is: I got a gift from a friend of a close relative on Christmas day but it was for our housewarming party that was a couple of months ago. The thing is, the gift itself isn't horrible, it's just really, REALLY not my style AT ALL. It's about 3 1/2 feet tall and probably 2 feet long, maybe 5 or 6 inches wide. And it's a decoration. Has no specific purpose other than to 'decorate'. This would be a wonderful decoration for a little girl's room (a very princess-y type of girl) but not for my house. I'm not super elegant by any means, but I like a simple, classic look. Nothing frilly or flowery. It's handmade and quite obvious that a lot of time and effort went into it.

Anyway, this person who gave it to me doesn't come to my house very often, but I'm terrified that if I get rid of this gift, she'll come over. That's just my luck. So if she does, and it's not anywhere around, what do I do or say? I already feel like a heel for not liking it, but it just doesn't fit in with the rest of my house. I've always been very forthcoming with my opinion but I don't purposefully hurt people's feelings. I know she's be very hurt if she knew I didn't like it. So any advice? Also, any gifts that you hate and what did you do with them?

6 replies
mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

Is it breakable??
Tell her you were dusting it and it broke!! Only she'll probably get you a new one!! Maybe she re-gifted it to you becasue she got it and hated it!!!!!

OH Wait!!! I Think i've got it! Tell her a friend's daughter was admiring it on several visits and you decided to pass it on to her because she adored it so. Tell her it hangs poudly in her room and actually looks as if it were custom made for her!!!

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 7

Could you say there was a charity raffle at work or somewhere and you felt it would bring in top dollar so you donated it and it went over very well? It's always hard getting something that has absolutely nothing to do with your decor-really sticks out like a sore thumb!

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 28 Dec 2005 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 7

I got a nice Chicago, "mini-donut" baking pan from an Uncle who NEVER buys me anything for any reason. I'll NEVER use it for making Donuts. I looked at it, said thanks, and my mind got to turning about what else I could use it for.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 4:58am
post #5 of 7

I could have lived without the box of turtles that a boyfriends mother gave me one year! That's all I got-a $3.00 box of turtles after I gave them a really nice gift basket that I had made (and I was a poor college student at the time)!! I had been dating this guy quite awhile but his mom never warmed to me-she liked his old girfriend that he had dated for 3 years before me! That's ok. I didn't like her either!!

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 29 Dec 2005 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, it could break. The thing is, it was given to me by a very close friend of my mothers. It is made of wood and hand painted. The lady who gave it to me made it herself. She does tole painting (I think that is what it is called). A co-worker suggested I tell her I brought it into my office and all the women were so jealous.... I guess that's probably the route I'll go if my step-daughter doesn't like it. Though, I will actually bring it in and if anyone likes it, they are welcome to it... There are a couple of people there that have little girls that would probably love it.

dodibug - My mother in law actually gave me an army green colored sweatshirt with plastic pockets that looked like pieces of a trash bag sewn onto it. It was hideous. The next year, she gave me a nightgown/robe type of thing with pigs (i think?) on it, that zipped up the middle from top to bottom. Not sure what she was thinking when she saw it. I think she likes my husband's ex-wife better than me too... Oh well. This year she gave us a $16 toaster oven. It's the thought that counts right?

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 12:05am
post #7 of 7

rvallee

A toaster oven could be useful but those other two gifts would be in the Sally Ann bag before Christmas day were over.

I'm not much for keeping things around that won't be used. icon_wink.gif

My take on gifts is that once it leaves your hand and becomes my property I can do with it as I best choose. It may be to pass it on to someone else who would enjoy it better than I.

good luck with finding that someone who just loves that "thing"

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%