Banana Cake??

Decorating By kimmycake Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 4:33am by debrab

kimmycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmycake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 16

I am looking for a good way to doctor a box mix with banana flavor. Anyone have something that makes a good banana cake. TIA.

Kimmycake

15 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 16

I just did one last week - to the box of banana cake mix I added one box of banana instant pudding and an extra egg - came out very yummy!

deb

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 16

Do you have banana extract? What about banana puddin

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 16

My most asked for recipe is the Cake Mix Doctor's Banana Nut Cake. It is delicious! If you would like the recipe, let me know.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 16

I did the same as MomLittr using Duncan Hines Supreme Banana Mix. I also added about a cup of mini chocolate chips. It came out really good. I think the only criticism was that it should have had more chocolate chips! I think it would be even better with a recipe using real mashed bananas though so I am going to try that next time...

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 16

I used the White almond sour cream cake from CC and added 3 large really ripe mashed bananas and instead of almond flavour, a little banana essence. It was really yummy. icon_lol.gif

kimmycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmycake Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 16

What flavor icing would you use on a banana cake. I tried almond butter cream and I didn't like it to much.

I should also say that this is for a full sheet cake that is 1/2 Banana and 1/2 Strawberry.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 16

I also used the cake mix doctor banana cake and it was very good, very moist.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 16

I would use chocolate butter cream on a banana cake, chocolate and banana is a classic combo

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 16

I like whipped topping on that combo...yummmmm!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:59pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmycake

What flavor icing would you use on a banana cake. I tried almond butter cream and I didn't like it to much.

I should also say that this is for a full sheet cake that is 1/2 Banana and 1/2 Strawberry.

The most common filling I use, besides buttercream, is to layer slices of fresh banana, then a banana cream pudding filling on top of that, more fresh bananas on top.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #12 of 16

How do you keep the banana's from turning brown? I'd love to try this kind of cake. Used to have banana cream filling in my bday cakes as a kid.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #13 of 16

I believe lemon juice would keep the banana's from turning brown, just as it does on apples and such. Just toss them around in a tiny bit of it.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:17am
post #14 of 16

Thanks. I guess I just always figure that's going to alter the taste significantly. I'll have to give it a try.

zookeeper8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zookeeper8 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:29am
post #15 of 16

I JUST ADD A COUPLE MASHED BANANAS TO MY MIX. ITS ACTUALLY ONE OF MY MOST REQUESTED. CREAM CHEESE ICING IS MY FAVE FOR IT!

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 4:33am
post #16 of 16

This Banana cake is not from a mix, but it is delicious!! I always get many compliments. It is the banana nut cake and the recipe is on the food network website. It is one of Paula Deen's recipes. Very yummy! Add cream cheese frosting to finish it off!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%