Website Advice

Business By ruralepicure Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 2:53am by ruralepicure

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all!

I've been working on my website, slowly but surely. The biggest thing holding me back right now is the perfect picture for the main page on my website. It has to be the perfect picture. I have been decorating cakes for almost a year, self-taught with no classes.

I came across a website where they sell the gumpaste flowers which I can NOT make yet. I have thought about purchasing these flowers to use on a cake that I use as my main picture. I'm thinking that if I do this, I need to be completely honest with the lady that I would be purchasing these from AND give credit to her on my website for being the one to make the flowers. I feel that it would be lying and misrepresentation if I didn't mention that I did NOT make the flowers. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any and all opinions!!

4 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 5

The secret is out- a LOT of decorators purchase their gumpaste flowers from another source! I do not think it would be necessary at all to credit them on your website, and I have never seen it done. To me that would be like crediting Wilton for the plates and pillars, Americolor for the food colors, etc.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 5

I dont' credit MIchael's or HObby Lobby with the silk florals; I dont' credit the florist with the real florals. Using real roses or gumpaste roses - I don't see a difference. You are buying materials to decorate a cake. If someone asks "Can you make this flower or that flower?" just be honest and tell them "I purchase those pre-made, just like the silk flowers. If the supplier has them, we can use them."

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 5

buy your gumpaste flowers from, decopac or bakery crafts. then you will have a source and have extras on hand.

as to a cake for your opening page, pick one thats a popular style with the girls in your area. you can always change it as time goes by.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Hopefully someday I will be able to make my own flowers but thank you for all of your advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%