Chocolate Rolled Cookies

Baking By MillyCakes Updated 27 Feb 2007 , 2:03pm by rhondab

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:51am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone! I don't like the chocolate NFSC recipe posted on the kitchengift site where the original NFSC recipe came from. I find them really dry and crumbly. I have tried them 3 times! Does anyone have another recipe for a great chocolate rolled cookie?

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 5

I use the recipe off the Wilton Cookie Cutter box. (It's very much like the NFSC, only half the size. 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 egg, 3 cups flour.) I add 3 oz. of premelted baking chocolate once all the other ingredients are mixed. (It's the Nestle brand, I believe.) They roll out great, keep their shape, and taste very good.

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 5

I was just searching for a rolled chocolate cookie too--
Don't have an answer but want to keep this going!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

My regular rolled sugar cookie recipe comes from Cooks Illustrated's "The Best Recipe" book. Here's a link to it in the recipe section:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2352-1-Master-Recipe-for-Rolled-Butter-Cookies.html

Cooks Illustrated gives a lot of flavor variations, one of which is a chocolate cinnamon cookie. I would imagine that you could omit the cinnamon and still have a good chocolate flavor. Here's how they tweak the recipe to make it into Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies:

Follow Master Recipe, adding 1 ounce melted and cooled unsweetened chocolate to creamed butter, sugar, and salt. Substitute 1/4 cup cocoa for 1/4 cup of the flour and mix in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the flour-cocoa mixture.

Hope that helps! The master recipe is a really good one.

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 5

Tried this for the first time yesterday and am pleased with the results. The texture of the dough is a bit different from what I'm used to for a sugar cookie, but it rolled nicely using parchment, and had very little spreading.

1 pkg devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. At medium speed, beat cake mix, butter, flour, and egg until combined, 1 minute. Divide dough in half. On wax paper or parchment, roll each dough piece to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut cookies and place on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until edges are set. Cool 2 minutes. Remove from pan and continue to cool.

They're good as is, great with a little peanut butter. DH wants me to sandwich some with icing, so may try that today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%