Rice Krispy Treats?????

Decorating By AlamoSweets Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm by joaaaann

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 23

I have a golf cake to make with a large golf ball on top. I tried to make my own rice krispy treats with karo syrup and sugar but the ball fell apart overnight. Has anyone try this method before and if so did you make your own treats or buy them?

22 replies
ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 23

I make mine from scratch unless I am short on time then one of those big jumbo snack size ones come into play - here' s the recipe from Kellogg....

Kellogg's® Rice Krispies Treats® Original

This recipe has been tested and endorsed by Kelloggs® Rice Krispies®.

Prep Time
20 minutes
Total Time
30 minutes
Servings
Ingredients
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 package (10 oz. about 40) regular marshmallows
or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies®
Directions
1. Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. 2. Add KELLOGG'S® RICE KRISPIES® cereal. Stir until well coated. 3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Best if served the same day. Yield: 24 squares MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In a large microwave safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

Note

For best results, use fresh marshmallows. 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme can be substituted for marshmallows. Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended. Store no more than two days in airtight container.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 23

I've also made them by mixing them with melted white chocolate chips. Those type set up very quickly, work well for actual carving, but to hand mold them, you need to nuke them periodically. They taste great, too.

Rae

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #4 of 23

Thanks so much for the recipe and suggestion to use chocolate. I will try it tomorrow.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:04am
post #5 of 23

i use instead of the marsmallows marsbars. and it comes out very very yummy and has never fallen apart.

in a pot melt some butter and cut mars into small pieces melt them into a smooth mass and then add rice krispies. mix them up and shape.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 23

have you considered using the sports ball pan to make a golf ball out of cake?

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 23

I did consider using a cake ball instead of krispy treats. That is usually what I use but since I have been watching Ace of Cakes I have been wanting to give the krispy treats a go. Seems like it would be a lot lighter and easier to deliver. I may be surprised.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 23

I did a sculpted cake over the weekend, a raccoon popping up out of a tree trunk.... with his tail sticking up behind him, so for the tail I opted for Rice Krispies, since it needed to be fairly long and didnt want the heaviness of "cake" toppling it over..... I bought one of the snack size ones at a local convenience store for 50 cents and was done with it.... worked like a charm... the cake was a hit and nothing sagged or moved from its original placement.... and the tail was practically fought over LOL...everyone wants the something different on the cake ya know!

the 50cents was definately easier all the way around than making a batch of treats, that I dont need sitting on my hips! lol

good luck with all the carving everyone

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 23

Thanks! Have you posted the picture of your cake yet? Can't wait to see it.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 23

Rice crispies and marshmellow's make a good base for carving and forming figures. The body and tail of the Armadillo in my photos is made from rice crispies treats. (I did learn the concoction doesn't last too long before it starts to break down. We're talking several weeks, not days. My friend wanted to save the armadillo, but his tail has started to break down.)

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 23

when you use the premade packaged bars do you need to microwave them some to make them easier to shape or are they pretty much easy to use right out of the pack? I HATE making rice crispy treats b/c they never turn out right for me. I did some this weekend for a cake I made and I much rather had bought the premade ones. Just wondered how easy they were to use out of the pack!

thanks

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 23

I read on here before that you can make the Rice Krispy treats without the butter and they are suppose to hold their shape better. But the downside is they don't taste as good as normal Rice Krispy treats.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 23

The packaged ones are pretty sculptable straight from the package. I remember rolling them into balls and rolling them down the hall for my dog to chase and then eat.

BCo Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 23

Yea- I made them w/o the butter and they were as hard as a rock!! LOL - you can "saw" them with a serated knife but you can't really do much to them once they dry as far as sculpting them.

I don't know how you can mess up a recipe with only 3 ingredients but somehow I manage with RC treats!! LOL

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 23

<---admits she is RKTs challenged! I have yet to make them and not have them come out rock hard, and yet I can make some of the toughest desserts to make out there, lol=) I guess simple isnt always simple=)

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 23

I love rice krispie treats but I love them chewy not crispy so I alsways add more marshmallows than they call for.

BCo Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 23

Newbeebaker - that's how mine are too - I follow the directions exactly and you could bust a window with mine! LOL But ask me to whip you up a cherry chocolate cheese cake and I'm golden!! icon_biggrin.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:05am
post #18 of 23

the packaged treats are ready to go right out of their package, no heating required, if i am cutting out a shape, i usually just go right to it...then i will compress it in my hand afterwards to make it denser and hold its shape rather than flop...if you are making balls or something rounded then just pretend its crunchy clay and get to it!

AlamoSweets Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 3:33am
post #19 of 23

I finished the golf ball this a.m. using the packaged KT. SO EASY! I think I have found a new medium that I really enjoy working with. Yes, I did compress everything and it really got hard. They cost a little more but the large box of RC costs as much as a large box of KT so I guess when in a crunch. I am excited! Yeah Duff!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 7:51am
post #20 of 23

hello AlamoSweets

glad that you are finally enjoying this.
I agree with BlakesCakes
chocolate is the best solution.
you see.. down to 2 ingredients: white chocolate candy melts & Rice Krispies
ciao

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:56am
post #21 of 23

Ooohhh!! <<waving frantically>>

RKT challenged here! I follow the classic recipe without butter, but mine never really firm up that well. I make some 3 days ago for molding, but they are still soft and squishy and want to fall apart. icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions?!? icon_confused.gif

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 23

I'd like to get the recipie/measurements for the white chocolate rdt's actually...Image

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:54pm
post #23 of 23

R'K'T not rda...I can't spell acronyms today Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%