Hello, New Here, With A Question

Decorating By sancar80 Updated 18 Dec 2005 , 4:26pm by daranaco

sancar80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sancar80 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:23am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I just started taking the wilton course cake classes and have become pretty obsessed with baking. So I hope I can join you all here! icon_biggrin.gif

My question actually has to do with decorating cookies. I am decorating sugar cookies with my kids. Can I make Royal icing ahead of time and store in the fridge for a day or two? Or does it have to be used right away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carmen

11 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:28am
post #2 of 12

WELCOME! Glad you've joined us!

yes, it will store -- just have to be sure to stir it up again before use. I successfully stored mine in frig several times during the courses.

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:30am
post #3 of 12

First off let me welcome you to Cake Central. I know what you mean about being ubsessed with baking. That's how I started too and this site. The people here are great, very helpful and always there. It's almost like a little or should I say big family.

Second, yes you can make royal icing ahead of time but for me I don't put it in the fridge, I leave it in an airtight container and on the counter. I am not sure what would happen if you put it in the fridge. Hope this helps.

Sylvie

Doug Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:32am
post #4 of 12

storing in frig did no damage...just so long as allowed to come to room temp before piping.

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:36am
post #5 of 12

Royal icing will keep in the cupboard, refridergation needed for several months. You may need to add more powder sugar when you use it again. Just make sure you store it in a grease free bowl, with a tight lid.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:37am
post #6 of 12

Welcome to the obession (both baking and CC)!! I always store mine in an airtight container on the counter but it's good to know it will work in the fridge too!
Enjoy!

Doug Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:44am
post #7 of 12

sugar ants a problem where I live...so many things end up in frig or even freezer.

to add to tight lid suggestion: I always first put a piece of plastic wrap over it and push it down to get out all of air, then put on the lid. Keeps it really well.

leave it fully covered (wrap & lid) while it sits on counter warming up.

and I haven't yet had to add more powdered sugar, just water if it start to dry out a bit.

edited for spelling (what else?....could someone please add spell check!)

sancar80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sancar80 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:46am
post #8 of 12

Wow, thank you all for the quick responses. I feel at home already. icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:49am
post #9 of 12

Welcome to CC!!! I know you'll love it here because I do.
Anyway, when I was making my gingerbread house I stored my royal icing in the fridge over night in a stainless steel bowl with just saran wrap over it. Pulled it out the next day and stirred it up and it was just fine. You probably need to seal it better if you are storing it longer though. icon_smile.gif

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 4:16am
post #10 of 12

Welcome to CC!! I've only been baking and decorating for a couple of weeks, no classes though. I've learned everything I need to know here on CC!

Welcome aboard!

Robyn

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 12

Welcome to our addiction icon_cry.gif

Royal Icing can be left out in an airtight grease-free container away from direct sunlight for up to two months per Wilton.

Good luck with your cookies.

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 12

Welcome to CC! As you can see, I myself joined not long ago. And I'm completely addicted!

I just wanted to add one more royal icing storage tip. I keep mine in ziploc bags with the air squeezed out. This way you don't use up all of your tupperware storing royal icing. Just snip off a corner and either sqeeze the icing into a bowl (if you need to mix it up) or directly into a bag!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%