Question Regarding Cutting Edible Image Frosting Sheets?

Baking By kissmycookie Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 6:22pm by cryssi

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:32am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone here cut individual quarter and half cake size kopykake frosting sheets for custom cookie sizes? If so, was it successful and does using an x-acto knife work best or will quality scissors work?

thanks in advance for any advice !

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:36am
post #2 of 11

If they aren't too dry you can cut them with a good pair of scissors. If they are dry and brittle they will curmble. HTH

kissmycookie Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 11

thanks tiggy, they are brand new so hopefully the scissors will work !!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:42am
post #4 of 11

I use and x-acto knife for very detailed stuff, much easier than scissors. Your icing sheets have to be fresh, if they start to dry out they will crumble when you cut them.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:42am
post #5 of 11

Just yesterday I cut up a frosting sheet with my "very" sharp kitchen shears and had no trouble at all. I was very surprised at how well it cut. It was a freshly printed sheet.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 11

scissors work best for me... it's quicker.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:48am
post #7 of 11

has anyone tried a small pizza cutter wheel?

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 4:39am
post #8 of 11

Haven't tried a pizza wheel yet ... but the scrapbooking scissors (the ones that cut all different designs) work great, too.

kissmycookie Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 11

thanks for all the great suggestions everyone, back to report I used several things as a test, and found that a pair of very sharp short scissors I have for embroidery sewing cut the cleanest edge - the pizza cutter caught on the edges so those weren't as clean? tscookie I tried the scrapbooking scissors but I think mine must not be sharp enough?

anyway, we're doing photos tomorrow when everything is completely dry, I used some vintage illustrations so when we get enough sunshine to do good photos I'll post them here !

thanks again for all of your suggestions !

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 11

My favorite is a small pair of Friskars orange handle scissors. I pick mine up in the craft department near the quilting items. They are small enough to get into the detail corners and very sharp and clean to cut easy. I use these same scissors to take my roses off of my flower nail. Love em!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 11

I didn't have a clean xacto, so I used a ruler and a small paring knife. Worked pretty well. I've also used those decorative edge scrapbooking scissors...gives you a pretty edge so you don't have to do a border!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%