Walmart Competition Heats Up

Decorating By Doug Updated 10 Jan 2006 , 4:54pm by cat121481

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 1:17am
post #1 of 24

My local WM has started selling snowman cakes (appears to be a 6" and an 8" single layer edge to edge --flat, not standup) for $11.99.

grrrr

23 replies
ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 1:57am
post #2 of 24

And I'll bet you that it doesn't taste all that good. I had a Walmart cake once... never again.

The only place I'll buy from - if I don't do it myself - is Costco. (And it's so tempting to ask them for a plain, uniced cake and a separate container of their frosting and do it myself... hehe!)

lly

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:05am
post #3 of 24

So weird. None of the Walmart's around me sell cakes. BUT, you can get DH mixes for $0.78!! Woo Hoo!! lol!

Lisa

miss_Jacqueline4694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_Jacqueline4694 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:10am
post #4 of 24

....And that is why i REFUSE to shop at walmart. They have a huge monopoly over the market ..& they don't need my money so I'm not going to give it to them! ... I'd rather pay a higher price...then let those money hungry ppl have my DOUGH!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:25am
post #5 of 24

You know the ones over here even have 3-D cakes.. Never priced them, just glanced at them.. The one I seen was a cake shaped oval with what appeared to be some sort of hard stock paper that they used for the propeller,wings and the back of the plane.. kind of cute... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 7:17am
post #6 of 24

The only place I'll buy from - if I don't do it myself - is Costco. (And it's so tempting to ask them for a plain, uniced cake and a separate container of their frosting and do it myself... hehe!)

Actually, we get that a lot, a lot of people do it, every saturday we get plain cakes with nothing written on it, for decoratin later, they even write it in the cake order!!!!

No biggie

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 24

I'll saw this snowman cake last night @ Wal-Mart. My kids said "Mom, yours was better". Thank you!!! thumbs_up.gif Anyway, it was just two circles laid next to each other, icing was white and really to be quite honest I don't remember how it was decorated. It didn't make much of an impression on me!!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 24

I saw it last night too here at the Vancouver, Washington Wal Mart. It wasn't very impressive. Not even worth the $11.88 or whatever the price was. Sheeesh! How many of these cakes did they mass produce if they are scattered all over the United States?

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 24

I had a cake disaster once and the bakery at my local grocery store was very happy to sell me an undecorated sheet cake. It saved my day!!!

It was for my son's birthday party and the guests admired the decorated cake. BUT, they ate the cake that I made (it was literally a pile of rubble) and they all said mine tasted better!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 24

my walmart has the snowman cake too, kansas city ks....bonner springs ks. actually. ....they must have made them somewhere and shipped them all over the country...ummmmm can we say "not fresh?"

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 24

There is a grocery store around here that sells relatively fancy 3D cakes...you can tell they are kits, but they are still well done. They charge $35 for a good 20-25 servings!!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 7:24pm
post #12 of 24

I have never brought a Wal-Mart cake but at a baby shower one time I did get a slice and it was not good at all...especially the icing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 24

I haven't had storebought cake for a really long time....but recently I brought a cake to a Chuck E Cheese party for someone, to which my son was invited. We all had a piece of my vanilla cake and then some had a piece of the chocolate cake that was included with the party. UGH! I had forgotten that the premade cakes like that tasted so bad!

LittleBigMomma Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 6:28am
post #14 of 24

The Wal-Mart snowman cake that Doug described has hit the shelves here in Alabama!

They are very plain, not impressive at all.

I would like to see the P&L report on that little idea.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 24

I've seen the snowman cakes here, too! (Central Texas) I think they are kind of cute...but I know I could do a better job!

I used to work at the bakery in my local grocery store and cakes like these were sent in from "Central Bakery". They are mass-produced to save labor for the holiday rush...we always had tons of them leftover, nobody bought them! Everyone would rather have a freshly decorated cake. Come December 26, those will be on the markdown rack...I guarantee it!

LittleBigMomma Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 24

They're just cute enough to spark a flood of ideas!

The first thing that went through my mind when I saw the cake was, "Oh, I could do that and, dress it up a bit!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 20 Dec 2005 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 24

FYI The Snowmen cakes come in frozen, and stay frozen until they are put out. That really is not much different IMO than alot of us who freeze there cakes at home. I looked at the case the other day while at work and the cakes that are decorated are made from Pillsberry, unfortunately I work in the Walmart bakery at the moment to help out with personnal finances. The cakes that are normally dry are because they are sitting out on a rack too long waiting to be decorated. It is ALOT of work working back there it is Not just decorating cakes unfortunatly I basically think of it as a fast food chain of cakes......... icon_cry.gif Soo can't wait until I can afford to quit!!!!! icon_cry.gif They lack creativity because you only have about 15 minutes to spend on a cake. Personnally at home I can spend hours on just one cake trying to make it a masterpeice..

LittleBigMomma Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 1:32pm
post #18 of 24

Ok meme, here's the plan...

Make up a batch of cards with your name and telephone number ONLY, give them to the customers and tell them that you design and make custom cakes (at home), then you will be flooded with cake orders and you can quit and open your own business! (I know you can't do this, but it sounds good)

I've seen alot of pretty cakes at Wal-Mart. I know it's hard, rushed, assembly line-like work with set guidelines and no freedom to personalize anything. It's not the creativity that keeps me away, it's the quality. But, I don't hold the workers responsible. I understand this b/c a friend of a friend works in a WM bakery.

Hang in there!!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 24

I used to work in a local grocery store's bakery. Yeah, you can get fired for doing that! But, when I left and started doing cakes on my own (after a break of several years/small children), I frequently mention..."Oh yeah, I've been doing this awhile...I used to work at -------, I was their head decorator..." And, being in a small town, people remember me! My customers know, and I get many new customers by referral.

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 21 Dec 2005 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 24

LittleBigMomma, thank you that would be nice if I could and boy I am trying to hang in there I pray every time I go in that I can make it through another day! It is not my cup of tea but it is working around my hubby's schedule and helping with the bills! And the discount card is kinda nice too even though it is only 10% LOL

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:04am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

And the discount card is kinda nice too even though it is only 10% LOL

I understand from my cousin who's husband works for Walmart that the 10% discount does NOT apply to groceries. icon_sad.gif

Had to buy a Walmart cake once last year for a b-day (family) because SIL was due any minute & in labor at the ER, so I didn't get time to make the cake--'cause everyone was ready to invade the hospital nursery!!! 1st nephew icon_biggrin.gif !!!!! Well, anyway, it was actually pretty good. The icing for once on a bought cake wasn't too sweet. I kept the decorations (Pooh & Tigger figures) and have used them since on other cakes.

We also bought a hamburger & fries cake from a chain grocery store for my sis' b-day last yr. It didn't taste that good, but fit the occasion, so... icon_razz.gif I could have made it, but just didn't have the time. thumbsdown.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 24

THe Wal Mart snowman hit here last week in Pennsylvania... I wasn't impressed with him either..You can tell the person was rushed that decorated him....But it looked like an easy way to do a snowman cake..

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 24

Here in Canada our Walmarts only just starting getting the big grocery sections, but most around where I am do not sell produce, but frozen and refridgerated stuff. So no Walmart cake competition....just the grocery stores, and Costco

cat121481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat121481 Posted 10 Jan 2006 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 24

people were saying that wm cakes are bad because they sit out, are assembly line and have very little time to decorate. however, costco cakes are really good and they are done the same way but at a larger production. My SIL worked for costco and said that there were days that she done almost 200 cakes. Before that she worked at a supermarket where they done at the most 20 cakes a day. so, my point is if costco can do it why can't wm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%