Whipping Cream - Heavy?

Decorating By jlh Updated 2 Jan 2006 , 2:08pm by katiecake

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 24

I'm making an ice cream cake. Client wants spice cake, pumpkin ice cream and whipped cream icing. She wants the old fashioned whipped cream (not cool whip). Should I use HEAVY whipping cream, or just "regular whipping cream". I saw both at the grocery store. I've also seen light whipping cream. Any advice on whipping the cream? I've seen my mother in law add vanilla before???
Thanks

23 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 24

I would completely go for the heavy! Although I've never made an ice cream cake before and would love to someday!

Can't wait to see it!

Amy

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 24

I used whipping cream for my cake.
For filling it's ok but if you want to frost or do any artwork with decorating tips then it won't stable.
Some people use gelatin or corn syrup in whipped cream for stiffness.
Sorry I can't help you with your question.
If you get any perfect whipped cream recipe please shear with me.
Thanks
Nitu

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 24

heavy will thicken up best and strongest. Stabalize as suggested above. You can also flavor it with any extract (I prefer vanilla or vanilla & almond combined)

BUT be warned...so easy to over beat it and end up with butter (I know from experience)

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

BUT be warned...so easy to over beat it and end up with butter (I know from experience)

I agre with Doug to use heavy and DEFINATELY stabilize it.

I got a new Professional model KA mixer and tried to make whipped cream this past summer. I am SO not used to all the power with my new KA, that I made butter TWICE!!! We are talking 24 oz of whipping cream down the drain TWICE! I was SO mad that on the 3rd batch, when it started to turn to butter--I just shut off the mixer and used it anyway. (It was for a small family party--so it didn't matter.

After discussing it with my sister--we decided that I was whipping it too fast with my new mixer. I have never turned it to 10 since then--it sounds like a jet! SO COOL!!

Good luck and post a pic! Or a recipe--that cake sound devine! (I love pumpkin icecream.)

Lisa

jlh Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 24

Thanks for the advice. What setting on KA would you recommend? Also, any advice on how much whipping cream I need to yield enough icing for an 8 inch round?
Thanks again.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

I am SO not used to all the power with my new KA, that I made butter TWICE!!! We are talking 24 oz of whipping cream down the drain TWICE!

I usually whip by hand to be on safe side, even tho' ....butter a couple of times.

and waste the butter? not on your life! that is as near as true fresh butter you can get. dash of salt, piece of toast...heaven!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj68

I am SO not used to all the power with my new KA, that I made butter TWICE!!! We are talking 24 oz of whipping cream down the drain TWICE!

I usually whip by hand to be on safe side, even tho' ....butter a couple of times.

and waste the butter? not on your life! that is as near as true fresh butter you can get. dash of salt, piece of toast...heaven!

Actually, I was SO mad the first time I tossed it. The second time, however, I added a dash of salt and had homemade butter for about a week! lol!

Lisa

Nitu Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 24

Doug and llj68,
You both helped me too.
I love whipped cream but always unsuccessful with cake decoration.

I will surely try.
Thanks again

Nitu

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 24

I really like the Wilton recipe for stabilized whipped cream. I was able to make borders, drapes and rosettes with it and it took color well. I also like mine just a bit sweeter so I also add some regular sugar that I have run thru the food processor. I always use the heavy whipping cream and when it's almost done I finish it by hand just to have more control. You'll need about 4c to ice and decorate an 8in round!

jlh Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:41am
post #11 of 24

Thanks all. Thanks Dodibug for the advice on amounts.

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 3:43am
post #12 of 24

Dodibug, can I get a link to that Wilton whipped cream recipe? I'm making holiday pies with whipped cream decorations for my clients, and that would be perfect! All the places I've worked buy expensive "ice cream stabilizer" in powder form, so I was looking for a good home remedy to yield the same effect. Do you just add regular icing color?You're always so full of good info!

dodibug Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 24

Awww, sweetchef! Thank you! Here you go:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/stable.cfm

They also have some of the recipes in the back of the yearbooks too. I think you'll like this recipe. Especiallly for your pies. It holds up great even after 3-4 days in the fridge (not that your pies will be around that long-yum!!!) I use Americolor gels (once you try them you'll never use wilton again!!) but have also used the wilton colors. I just mix a little more carefully since the wc seems more delicate to me than bc. Enjoy!

I went to bed early last night-the little one was trying out his new legs all day and wore me out!!!

dodibug Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 24

Forgot to add (and couldn't get my last post to edit) I always use the regular, real vanilla and it doesn't seem to change the color and it tastes better than the clear stuff!

Nitu Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 24

WOW! Thanks dodibug.

Nitu

dodibug Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 24

You're welcome!!

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 24

When Whipping on a KA use it on 1st speed until it starts to thicken then bring to 3 or 4th speed. Just keep an eye on it. you might be able to stabilize it with cream of tarter?

Also turn it off once in a while and check the thickness so that you don't over mix it.

I always my whip cream from scratch. I whip it until it starts thicken then when almost done I add Sugar to sweeten it when using it for whip cream on pies.

good luck and have fun.

sweetchef Posted 17 Dec 2005 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks, Dodibug! The piping gel is a little pricey (heavy cream is already so expensive!), but I'm going to try it. What are the other uses of clear piping gel? I need a key lime pie topped with whipped cream to last for 2 or 3 days, so this should work great! I hate giving customers a plain custard pie--it's delicious but not very pretty. I'm all about the pretty! I use Americolor too and prefer it to Wilton. Wilton is much more expensive and sometimes has a weird chemical dye taste.

dodibug Posted 18 Dec 2005 , 2:20am
post #19 of 24

I buy my heavy cream at Sam's Club and it's much cheaper, I think $2.37 for a qt. I'm looking around to see where I can order piping gel on-line because it's so expensive at Micheal's. You can color the piping gel and use it for writing to get a different effect, use it to make water on cakes, I think someone on here used it to make a stained glass effect and I used it on a Scooby Doo cake on his nose to make it look like a wet dog nose! I had a practice cake that I made with this recipe and it got left in the fridge for 4 days and it looked exactly the same as when I'd put it in!! Can't wait to see pictures of the pies!

sweetchef Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 5:34am
post #20 of 24

Wow! That's a much better price than here. Where I live (Houston), heavy cream is $3.50/qt at Sam's and even more at the grocery store! I've been told by friends who went to CIA and Johnson & Whales that Texas does not have very good brands of cream. They don't hold their whip. I worked at hotels where we would have to re-whip whipped cream for the line (held under refrigeration) several times a night because it kept going soggy. We have Oak Farms, Schepps, Borden, and some others. Since you're in the South too (and battling heat and humidity), do you prefer a certain brand of cream?

I decided to go with a tart instead of a pie. With the pretty scalloped edges, I can skip the whipped cream and save a little money. But I'll definitely use the recipe for other things. Thanks!

dodibug Posted 19 Dec 2005 , 12:26pm
post #21 of 24

I don't really have a preference but I think you hit the nail on the head-heat and humidity!!! The constant battle!!!!! Next year just figure in the price when you set your pie prices then you're covered! Happy tart making icon_smile.gif

n8sgurlmiranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n8sgurlmiranda Posted 30 Dec 2005 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 24

I made the wilton stabilized whipped cream recipe yesterday for the first time!!! My dad was really impressed thought that it tasted just like cool whip!! But on the KA I do believe that I didnt go over 6!!! It was really good though!!!

dodibug Posted 31 Dec 2005 , 12:42am
post #23 of 24

Glad it turned out so well for you and your dad!! And welcome, welcome to CC! Glad to have you here!!!!

katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 2 Jan 2006 , 2:08pm
post #24 of 24

the trick to not getting butter is to keep everything cool as well. put your metal bowl in the fridge before you start helps. I always throw in a spoonful of icing sugar and a dash of vanilla- makes it taste nices. you wont get really stiff peaks but it helps- you can definetly pipe with it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%