Really Dumb Question...

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 3 Mar 2007 , 7:17am by Rosie_from_MD

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 16

ok, so covering a cake board in aluminum foil... this is to make it reusable? or just to make it impermeable to oily cake/icing stains?

15 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 16

It serves a coupla purposes (and by the way, there is no such thing as a dumb question).
First, yep you can reuse the board if you wanna.
Second, it adds a little bling to what you are making.
Third, it does keep the oils from marring the board.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 16

There's no such thing as a dumb question, right?! It accomplishes both. I've used foil wrapping paper for quite a few of my cakes and it works great. Gives you a lot of variety instead of just silver.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 16

be careful with aluminum foil, though, because it tends to cut very easily so when you cut your cake, you may get little pieces of foil stuck to it as you're serving it.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 16

I use a plastic (dollar store) table cover, it's cheap and you can cover a lot of cake boards with it and there are lots of colors. The icing won't get the board greasy and it doesnt tear as bad as regular tin foil. I also go to Home Depot and go back into the wood section and buy 12 inch round boards, probably 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick (already cut) for around $1.50 and cover those in the plastic and ask that the people getting my cake to please return the board. Even though it's inexpensive it's a hasstle to go buy more. No one in 14 years has had a problem returning my boards. They just remove the plastic. And the boards don't bend like the cardboard ones!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

I personally wouldn't call a cake board covered in aluminum foil reusable. The foil always gets ripped a little for me when the cake is cut, and then the board gets messy. I use foam board cut to the size I want and then covered in scrapbook paper and then contact paper. I'll have to try the plastic table coveres though, that sounds like a good idea.

gingersoave Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 16

ckkerber, how did you get your picture on the forum? I have tried to put one of my cake pictures on and I keep getting errors that the picture is too big. I have tried to decrease the size of the pic. but it still won't work. I know how to do all the browsing and uploading but I guess I do better at making cakes than working on the computer! ha

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 16

i like that HD idea, I have yet to have to make a cake that size though.. I also use foam cors.. I have covered in foil paper from the cake supply.. and i have used wrapping paper and then covered in cello

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 16

ging hun,
do you have microsoft photo editor?
If you do it's really easy to adjust the size of your pic.
Just right click the photo in question, then click on "open with" then click on Microsoft photo editor and then you can go from there. usually photos have to be 2000 pixels or less for it to fit. But you can do that by going to the resize thing and then down at the bottom of the little window there is inches, centimeters and pixels.
Click on the pixels thing, then go back up to where the numbers are and make the larger number 2000 or less. click apply, save as. and you should be fine with uploading those pictures then.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

ckkerber, how did you get your picture on the forum? I have tried to put one of my cake pictures on and I keep getting errors that the picture is too big. I have tried to decrease the size of the pic. but it still won't work. I know how to do all the browsing and uploading but I guess I do better at making cakes than working on the computer! ha

Believe me, it took me FOREVER to figure out how to do an avatar. But someone on this site recommended www.shrinkpictures.com and as soon as you log onto their page, you can see a link for shrinking avatar photos. Click on that and it will lead you through the process . . . all for FREE! Good luck!

gingersoave Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 16

chaptlps, thanks! I will give it a try!!!! I was able to downsize my pictures to put them on CC hopefully I will get a pic up there soon! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

I use a plastic (dollar store) table cover, it's cheap and you can cover a lot of cake boards with it and there are lots of colors. The icing won't get the board greasy and it doesnt tear as bad as regular tin foil. I also go to Home Depot and go back into the wood section and buy 12 inch round boards, probably 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick (already cut) for around $1.50 and cover those in the plastic and ask that the people getting my cake to please return the board. Even though it's inexpensive it's a hasstle to go buy more. No one in 14 years has had a problem returning my boards. They just remove the plastic. And the boards don't bend like the cardboard ones!

Never thought of getting boards at HD. I had my son cut me some from some old panelboard samples from our lumberyard. The sheet cake boards are a breeze but he had a hard time cutting out the circles with the saw that he has. Like you, I haven't had trouble with with people bringing the boards back. I just put my name and phone number on the bottom of them. I guess if it were impossible to get the board back, a person could just charge the cost of it to the price of the cake.

Had to laugh at everyone's reaction to the "dumb question" statement. Twas my first thought also, "No such thing."

Diane

gingersoave Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 16

ckkerber, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 16

I mostly use foil, although my dh recently got me a round piece of 1/4" clear acrylic, which is great! One time, I needed a special paper on the board & couldn't find what I wanted in wrapping paper or anything. I got some 12"x12" scrapbook papers, taped them together, then took them & got them laminated. I still have it, it is very durable.

Brenda

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 6:03am
post #15 of 16

thank you everyone! I just think some of my questions are dumb because I envision the professionals on CC saying "DUH!" to themselves when they read it icon_smile.gif

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 3 Mar 2007 , 7:17am
post #16 of 16

I know it is a little late, I'm new to all this. But I use the freezer paper that butchers use. If you put it on your board, shiny side up, the icing doesn't mess it up and I've never had it rip when cutting the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%