Poinsettias?

Decorating By robbiesnana Updated 16 Dec 2005 , 3:40pm by MrsMissey

robbiesnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbiesnana Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 14

How can you make a poinsetta design on a sheet cake with buttercream or royal frosting?

13 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 14

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/pointsettia.cfm

This is how I have done them. I am looking for directions on gumpaste ones too.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 14

If you want to use royal, you could just make the poinsettias with the lily nails. Or, to use buttercream you could do a frozen buttercream transfer. For myself, I think I'd do the piping gel thing with either a picture I found or that I drew freehand. I've seen some that are filled in with the colored piping gel instead of buttercream stars, those were lovely--you can search for those in the Christmas gallery.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 12:25am
post #4 of 14

Here are directions for making poinsettias from gumpaste:

http://www.fmmsugarcraft.com/pdf/Project18.pdf

NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:16am
post #5 of 14

Thank you Miss Missey! That is exactly what I needed!

MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:58am
post #6 of 14

..oh good!! Have fun!!

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 14

I think my possibly frustrated in the future mind was being read b/c I was going to ask for the same thing!!

My only additional question is how hard will the poinsettia be to do without the special molds/forms? I was figuring I'd free hand cut out the brachs and vein/soften them like I do for roses and leaves. Does this sound doable or am I going to drive myself nuts? Also, can I use MMF with gumpaste mixed in? I've never used anything other than MMF yet.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 14

barefoot contessa-- That was my plan too, to free hand them and dry on forms. Which ever one of us gets to it first should let the other know how it went. I was going to use MMF too.

MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 14

Flower formers should work just fine! the gumpaste alone will give you much ore realistic looking flowers because it can be rolled almost paper thin!

Cake_Geek Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 14

Okay... any rules or restrictions I should know about gumpaste? I bought a container of the powder so I have it to use. I have some tools but not a lot as I haven't gotten into much of it before.

MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 14

Once you mix it up, keep it covered, it will dry out real fast. You only need to use a tiny amount at a time..a little goes a log way! Rub your hands and work surface with a small amount of crisco. That's all I can think of at the moment.

MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 14

..it is much like working with MMF but it dries faster and rolls out thinner..just thought I'd add that info!

Cake_Geek Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 14

Define fast. Should I attempt it without having the right tools for making the poinsettias or will it dry too fast for me to manipulate the pieces to correctly resemble a poinsettia?

I think I'll give it a whirl using MMF then gumpaste to kind of get the motions down.

MrsMissey Posted 16 Dec 2005 , 3:40pm
post #14 of 14

..if you don't plan to use it right away, you can wrap itin saran real tight and it will keep for a long time. If you start making the flowers...have everything set up on your work station and ready to go...you just don't want to leave the gumpaste sitting out in the open for any length of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%