All I Want For Christmas Is A Backbone!

Business By SweetAsLemmons Updated 22 Dec 2005 , 11:54pm by mamafrogcakes

SweetAsLemmons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAsLemmons Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 12:30am
post #1 of 7

Hey there everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

I just wish to report that ever since I joined this site and read about everyone's experiences and suggestions, I now have absolutely NO problem quoting a price and standing my ground, even if it means losing a potential customer.
Before I joined this site I always hesitated when asked "how much for a cake like this?" NEVER AGAIN! An I wish to thank all my cake buddies for giving me the courage to pat myself on the back and put my foot down. thumbs_up.gif Happy Holidays to all, you guys are the best! party.gif

6 replies
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:17am
post #2 of 7

YEAH!!! It is sooo hard at first....but I think it takes everyone awhile to 'stand their ground'. I know it did for me!! But I've found that if I'm confident/comfortable with my prices and 'product'...then my customers are too!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 7

Congrats on your new backbone icon_lol.gif

You deserve to get your worth thumbs_up.gif

SweetAsLemmons Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 7

It's just so INSANE how some people expect you to work for less than the local bakery because youre a home business. icon_rolleyes.gif SHEESH! I had a co-worker come up to me the other day, asking if I could make him a purse cake (a replica of his mother's Dooney & Bourke bucket bag), which I have done before. I told him "OK, but I charge just as much as the real thing ($140+). He ended up not going for it, which was FINE with me. Anything less would have been a waste of time and effort. One less order, ne less headache. Anyone agree? icon_biggrin.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 7

I totally agree with you SweetAsLemmons! I am often tempted to give someone a break in the price, but why??
I think the whole getting a backbone thing comes with getting burned yourself! Then you will NEVER do it again!!!! The worst times I've had with cakes is when they are free, discounted, or I've been given a hard time about a price. People think just b/c you are an individual, you should flex your prices for them. Why?? I'm going to try that next time I go to the mall and see what happens!!
I'm glad you learned from others mistakes and didn't have to make it on your own to understand!!!! thumbs_up.gif

SweetAsLemmons Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 7

Oh nooooooo Mamafrogcakes, I too have been plenty guilty of commiting such stupid mistakes. Then I came to the realization that by underpricing my work everyone loses. I not only lose money, but I feel resentful in making the cake, and as a result, don't put 100% into it, ending with a mediocre product and feeling even worse, constantly beating myself up thinking "I could have done so much better than that". Holy !@#$ I'm rambling aren't I? tapedshut.gif It becomes a tad stickier though when it is family who wants a discount, but hey I just turned my sister down the other day. icon_biggrin.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 22 Dec 2005 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 7

Oh darn----too bad! I was hoping your learned for OUR mistakes! But making your own mistakes is even better!! icon_lol.gif
It's true, your attitude does subconsciously change when you are doing something that you aren't comfortable with.
Let's hope we remember this when the next "difficult" situation comes up![/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%