Opinions On Mixers

Decorating By TRisser Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 3:38am by drurys

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:08am
post #1 of 13

okay, I'm looking to buy a new mixer. My BIL bought me a Sunbeam for Christmas two years ago (to make up for forgetting to buy me anything the year before. icon_rolleyes.gif ) but it is dying with how often I use it. I found a KA here at a specialty kitchen store but DH says no way on spending $600+ on it. So we went looking yesterday and found two options.

Sunbeam--$400, 850 watts, two stainless steel bowls-3.5 litre and 2 litre, bowl spins for mixing, beaters and dough hooks, 12 speeds

Kenwood--$250, 1000 watts, one stainless steel bowl-4litre, beaters move not bowl, whisk, paddle and dough hook, splash guard, don't remember how many speeds. Has option to buy more bowls as I definitely need more than one,

The Kenwood actually sounds better to me but the Sunbeam is more expensive which I often equate with better even though that is just a marketing thing. icon_redface.gif so what do you think? any experience with either?

Thanks,
Tamra icon_smile.gif

12 replies
cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:20am
post #2 of 13

I have a Sunbeam that I bought on sale, (450w I think?) and I don't like it as much as my 2 KitchenAid's. I'm just saving up for a KA 600.

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:27am
post #3 of 13

I wouldn't trade my two Kitchen Aid Mixers for anything. But, if price is a factor, I would still try to find a mixer with a stationary bowl with an orbital beater. I have found that is really the way to go. Good luck in your shopping!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:28am
post #4 of 13

I love my KA dont know how I lived without it . HTH icon_smile.gif

tccksmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tccksmith Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:36am
post #5 of 13

My Kitchen Aid is the love of my life...and I could have saved a lot of money by investing in one first then trying to save money by buying a Sunbeam. After burning up two Sunbeam mixers, I finally wised up. (I don't know why I didn't wise up after the first one went up in smoke...)

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #6 of 13

A liitle off note but I have a KA, but see that alot of the TV personalities are now using Viking...Anyone have a viking? I am wondering if it is any better than the KA.......not that I have a problem with mine.
Just wondering......

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:08am
post #7 of 13

I have a kenwood 6 qt. 1200 watt mixer and I love it!!! It's a workhorse! $250 sounds like a good deal for a kenwood. I paid around $400 when I bought mine 4 years ago.

Courtney

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:22am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Sunbeam is not the way to go and since I can't go KA I'll have to go Kenwood. I'll start saving the money for the KA though. My mom has one and doesn't use it much so doesn't really like it. If we had the same power here I'd have her ship that baby to me but not really worth rewiring my kitchen for. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,
Tamra

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:29am
post #9 of 13

Call Kitchenaid directly. They have demo models that they sell as refurbished. In the last month, I have purchased two additional professional models fro $230 each ( the 575 watt motor with the 6 quart bowl). Or, kitchenaid has an Ebay store.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:36am
post #10 of 13

I just checked out ebay for kitchenaid mixers and there is a brand new six quart mixer up for bid that ends in 28 minutes .. it is going for 285.00$!! what a steal!

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:02am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by polliwawg

A liitle off note but I have a KA, but see that alot of the TV personalities are now using Viking...Anyone have a viking? I am wondering if it is any better than the KA.......not that I have a problem with mine.
Just wondering......

I have not actually used a Viking mixer either, but I remember a few years ago when Gale Gand started using a mini Hobart instead of the KA she always had it was because they were quieter on tv and they didn't have to yell over the noise. I have heard that more than once, so I wonder how true it is and if there's a notable difference in the performance of the other mixers. I do know I love my KA!

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:32am
post #12 of 13

Tamra,

In the past Sunbeam used to be good my mum had a sunbeam mixer that she got for her wedding and it lasted about 30years icon_eek.gif and both my grandmothers had theirs for around the same time but as the saying goes they don't make things like they used to, her current sunbeam mixer I think is about 7 years old and is on the way out now (it is still a reasonable innings though nowhere near the 30years of old).

We used to have a Kenwood Chef at work (inherited a very old one but it did last a long time) which finally gave up the ghost recently and replaced it with a Kenwood (not the Chef but a lesser model) I think it was about $250-$300 mark (might be the same one you are looking at) it seems to be going well so far. It has the stationary bowl but orbital beater and came with a paddle, whisk and dough hook we haven't done any dough or anything really tough in it yet but we do cheesecake in it all the time and it handles that ok. The only little thing I found was that sometimes it does not mix all the way through in the very very bottom of the bowl so may need to give it a stir.

HTH icon_smile.gif

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:38am
post #13 of 13

I have a Hamilton Beech, Ecelectrics line.
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it
Would not trade it for any other brand.
The price was right, at JCPenneys and they come in lots of cool great colors.
I would recommend it highly, especially if you are not willing or ready to splurge for a KAicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%