Working With Other People

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 9:58pm by ValMommytoDanny

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 10

I normally decorate cakes by myself. However, I am making a big cake in limited time so someone is going to help me. It is a good friend, so if I snap orders I know she won't take it wrong. I am working in a kitchen I have never used before icon_cry.gif.

Does anyone have any helpful hints on what to do with another person in the kitchen? She does not know what she is doing. That can be good and bad.

Any good tips for using a kitchen I have never cooked in before?

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:01am
post #2 of 10

does she at least know the basics: mix, fold, measure, how to follow a recipe?

if so....a list of things you need her to make and the order to make them in. can even have all ingredients out and ready.

so she can mix the BC, mix the cakes, premeasure etc. for you.

as for kitchen visit day before or go extra early to have time to get lay of the land.... I'd do day before and use it to drop off the supplies.

pinknlee Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:47am
post #3 of 10

Would you type out a list of things that both of us are going to do? I am normally not organized. I really need to be this time. In my kitchen, I work in advance and can't do that this time. I am nervous. I am afriad I am going to forget something. Also, I have never had anyone do the mixing and such for me before. I want to be friends in the end. I know we will be.

Cake making is so important to me and I want this to be the best cake it can be.

Here I go going on and on. I guess I am more nervous than I thought.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #4 of 10

If you are that nervous, make lists. List of what you need, what you need to do, what you would like her to do and what you would prefer to do yourself, etc. etc. That way if you both understand the expectations going in it is a great way to save your friendship! icon_wink.gif

pinknlee Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:56am
post #5 of 10

Thanks I guess I really didn't know how nervous I was.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:37am
post #6 of 10

And tell her straight up "Hey, I'm really nervous about this one, so if I snap at you for no reason, I'm apologizing now!"

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 10

I bet she sure knows how to clean! hehe. Ok so I would take full advantage of the situation and have the friend do the set up, and keep things picked up. Are there boxes to set up, boards to cover?

Have her mix up the buttercream etc. (you'll be there to watch so just keep an eye on her to make sure it is getting done the way you want)

Quote:
Quote:

And tell her straight up "Hey, I'm really nervous about this one, so if I snap at you for no reason, I'm apologizing now!"

Be up front with her on this for sure! I am sure she'll understand.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 10

Whenever I have someone working with me, I always preface the day with the disclaimer " I am bossy and a perfectionist. I have been since I was four. Please don't take it personally if I b*tch at you. I promise I will buy enough margaritas to forgive me later."

At that point, my helper usually laughs and it takes the edge off the day. Divide labour. I usually have helpers do all of my mis-en-place, then have them watch the temps on syrup for IMBC, make drenching syrups, brush loose crumbs from layers after torting and filling, load the dishwasher,colour icing and make fondant cutouts.

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 10

I also like to work by myself but sometimes I do neet help so get my daughter to assist me with cleaning and washing everything that I'm done with, cover boards, fold boxes, color icing, handing me tools ect.. ohh and no talking, I become like a freaking doctor during surgery and I ask her not to judge the cake till I'm done, sometimes I snap but she understands...and for the kitchen I would come early to become familiar with everything.. sorry this is so long..

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 10

Hi,
Just a couple of thoughts... I hate it when I don't know a kitchen....
Try to do a site inspection to list or photo the area you will have - prepare a battle plan of what is taking place where - ovens, refrig space, prep area, etc. Also, make sure you take your own temp guages for the oven/fridge because I don't even trust my own.

Make a list to divide responsibilities and a time line of your schedule, this helps both people know what is expected of them.

Also, I like the disclaimer idea as well, I am called the Evil One and people know its just while I am working, after that its all butterfly kisses - I may snap but I don't mean it.

Just try to wrap your mind around this before you go, do your planning beforehand, plan your space, check lists for supplies, and an understanding of what your associate will do. It will be fine, icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%