Do You Ship Your Cakes?

Decorating By msauer Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm by Ksue

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

I have been getting more and more requests to ship cakes and I am not sure that I want to do it. Do you ship your cakes? If so, what kind (single layer only? Carved/3D? Fondant or BC? How do you pack it? Is it overnight shipping? Have you had problems? Preferred shipper? Who to stay away from?

I know I have seen threads about this before, but I can't seem to find them...so if anyone can give me some of those links as well, I would be forever greatful!

-Michelle

8 replies
rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 9

I have shipped layer cakes and pound cakes. For pound cakes I freeze them then take them straight from the freezer and send them. I are thawed and good to go by the time the customer gets them.

For layer cakes I saran wrap and then foil wrap each indivual layer and freeze. I place frsoting in a container w/ lid (dollar store) and freeze. I pack straight from the freezer and ship. I type up really simple intsructions to show them how to frost the cake.

When I box them, I wrap the cakes in bubble wrap and I line the bottom of the box w/ bubble wrap. If there is any loose space I crumble up newspapers until it looks like everything is secure.

Beware: I have been doing Piority Mail via the USPS and it has been 70/30 w/ the cakes getting to the recipient on time. They say 2-3 days but they WON'T guarantee it. They only guarantee overnight and most people don't want to pay $45 to have a small cake shipped.

msauer Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:26am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the info (and the words of caution on Priority Mail.

I am thinking more about cakes that are novelty/birthday/carved. Anyone else????

-Michelle

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:28am
post #4 of 9

the only time I've done it was with UPS/Mailboxes etc. It arrived on time, and was in fairly good condition. Per their recommendation, I decorated the little angel bear, then froze it. Saran wrap, then bubble wrap, then a tight fitting box, like suggested. I shipped it overnight, and it arrived fine except for her little RI wings.

I only did it because it was a friend though- I'm not comfortable enough to do it often and will only do local cakes or ones for delivery or P/u, and I charge for long delivery.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 9

Only to family through the USPS. Fondant only and with decorations that don't stick off of the cake.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 4:44am
post #6 of 9

fondant cakes with minimal decorations. this is a good time for painting, stencils or impressions. it is a good idea to allow the fondant time to set up (overnight) and then loosely wrap in plastic wrap. then bubble wrap the sides of the cake, top, bottom, around and around....till the entire box is full so there is no room to shift or smash even if tipped upside down or sideways. i first pick up the flat rate priority boxes so i know the limit of the cake size. ...this saves alot of money ($8.10 flat rate). i allow for 3 days to ship. i use fondant and only fillings that do NOT require refrigeration...and hope that they will arrive in 2 days instead of on the third. i have only done this for personal cakes, not for sale...but have not had a problem with them arriving in bad condition.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 9

I just shipped a cake to my daughter for her birthday by Fed Ex and it arrived as perfectly as when I sent it!
It was a one layer covered in fondant, with 7 gumpaste roses and buttercream writing and shell borders.
I didn't believe her that it wasn't damaged, so she sent me a picture.
I know Fed Ex is expensive, but I thought this would be a good time to test it.

I am still amazed.

msauer Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you everyone for your comments. I just may try this afterall. One of the interested parties is my cousin. She wants one for each of her daughters next month. I told her that if they arrive in a mess, she can't hate me 'cause we're blood! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 9

I've shipped small, fondant-covered cakes to family and friends only. One went 1400 miles overnight via FedEx and arrived in perfect condition, but it cost $135.00 to ship! Another went 2-day guaranteed via DHL, cost $45.00, and didn't arrive for 5 days! But it finally arrived in perfect condition, and they refunded my $45. Third cake was shipped 3-day guaranteed via DHL again, and it arrived earlier than expected, and in perfect condition. I shipped another cake to a friend via USPS, it only went 250 miles, and it arrived smashed. It was a purse with the girl's college logo on it, she thought it was a football helmet! I pack mine the same way Melysa described.

What I've learned from my shipper:

Avoid UPS. He currently has 6 lawsuits against them for his customers. UPS has recently changed insurance companies, and UPS will no longer guarantee delivery to the proper person/address. He's had to file lawsuits, $1500 a pop, to try to recover peoples' $40, $65, $70-type shipping costs. They're crazy at UPS lately.

DHL is much much cheaper than FedEx. They normally do an outstanding job. My 5-day delivery was a fluke. My shipper said he sent 1200 packages via DHL at Christmas, and only 3 didn't arrive on time. Mine was one of those 3. And DHL stood behind their guarantee and refunded my money, and the next time I used them they got the cake there earlier than expected, and in perfect shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%