Dowels For 4 Tiered/stacked Cake?

Decorating By Lauree Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 8:17pm by Lauree

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to make a wedding cake in April...Stacked with 4 tiers...I've done one with 3 and put a dowel down the middle...my question is do they make one longer than the normal size to put in the larger stacked cakes and if so where do you get them??
Also, I have to transport this cake 2 hours so I was thinking I would carry 2 stacks and put them together at the wedding-would I need to put the center dowel in if done this way?? TIA for all your help!! I've never done a wedding cake this big and actually this is only my second one.

4 replies
jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

just get a dowel from either the craft section at michaels or from the home depot in the same diameter as the ones you normally use for cakes and cut it to the appropriate length.
also - i would still probably center dowel it...

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 5

You can buy dowels at any home store. They're actually a much cheaper way to go.
If I was going that far, I wouldn't stack any of the tiers. I'd do it on site. But, that just might be me! I would think if you put it together on site, you wouldn't need the dowel through the middle. You'd just need the regular supports.
I'm sure folks with more experience will chime in!

icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 5

I ALWAYS assemble cakes on site. Too many variables when stacked cake is transported assembled. Usually, it doesn't take very long to assemble. I have a "traveling kit" I always bring along. Bags, tips, spatulas, extra icing, dowel rods, dish towels, Dawn, etc.

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I will travel will all tiers separate and stack on site-was thinking about it but wasn't real sure. I think I will use a center dowel just to be safe-thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%