I Knew She Was Going To Be A Problem!!

Decorating By ge978 Updated 17 Dec 2005 , 2:53pm by dodibug

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 116

I started a post about the Darth Vader cake that I did. For some reason I knew she was going to be difficult. I should've went with my gut instinct. I thought her problem would have been the black icing being too bitter, the price, or the design. These are problems I understand.

Her complaint was the cake was too moist icon_confused.gif Not undercooked! Not Gooey! TOO MOIST!!
She said she's used to her cakes being drier!! WHAT????
She came into my shop when my dad was there and threw the box on the table. She also said something was swirled into the white cake and she didn't know what it was - uh it was marble..the chocolate was swirled in.
I went over to the shop to check out the cake myself and really it was not undercooked - it was how all of my cakes are - moist!

Now she wants her money back in full! What would you guys do?

*edited to add: the black icing was not bitter...no problem with the design & the price was not too high - all according to her

115 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 116

my suggestion - either refund money in full or take out a fair amount for expenses - better you lose out on this one than to have her bad-mouth you to all she meets - bad 'word of mouth' always seems to spread faster than good icon_sad.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 116

If you have an order sheet, I'd give her another copy of it...did she order a marbled cake? Or did you tell her it was going to be marbled? Geez...anyone knows what a marbled cake looks/tastes like...it's CHOCOLATE for goodness sake...not some foreign matter!! lol icon_confused.gif And if it was undercooked, sure I'd give her the money back in full....but if it was just moist???? She's a weirdo! If she's used to dry cakes, then she must have no taste at all. A moist cake denotes FRESHNESS and proper baking...a dry one is either overcooked or days old! I would tell her that something being a little "different" than what she's used to is not a good enough reason to warrant a full refund! If the cake was completely NOT what she ordered in ANY way, then she's got a leg to stand on....but MOISTNESS is not a reason to complain, generally. In fact, most people would love a really moist cake, and if it's really DRY...that's when they complain. By the way....how much of the cake was eaten? icon_confused.gificon_razz.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 116

Did eat some ot the cake?

I would say no money back, it she upset because the cake was not over baked that is not your problem. She order marble cake so she should know that chocolate is swirled in the cake. You can offer something like $10 off her next but make not to ask her if she would like it over baked (HA, she may get mad but it is not your fault she awful cakes)

Good luck icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 116

You are kidding!!!!! What a witch! Who doesn't want moist cake???? I would not refund her money.\\ I would explain to her that most people like their cake moist and that if she wanted a dry, hard, nasty cake.... that is what she should have ordered. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 116

I'm really sorry that happened! I hate dealing with people like that!!! I have not had many cake customers but here's how I look at it. When you eat in a new restaurant and you don't like the particular dish you chose-you don't throw it back at the waiter and demand your money back (at least sane people don't!) As to whether you give her some or all of her money back depends on how it might help or hurt your business. You will always have those customers who want something different than your norm, who will want something for nothing, and will complain about anything. Had she eaten your cake before-I read the other post but can't remember? Wasn't this a last minute cake too? If it were me, I don't think I would refund her money. But let's see how the experts weigh in on this one!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 116

Nope. i would not give her money back. I would maybe offer her a discount on her next order, but if there was nothing wrong with the cake but being moist, too bad. If she ordered marble and got marble, no problem there.. She got the design she wanted. If she wanted a dry cake she should of aksed for her dry or gone to a grocery store. I guess she is just used to eat low quality take and should go where they make it.

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 116

To be honest with you, I wouldn't give her her money back. You did what you were supposed to do and that was make a moist cake. Thats just plain wrong for her to complain about a moist cake. You did exactly what you were supposed to. You didn't do anything different with her cake that you don't do with the other ones so, NO! I WOULDN'T GIVE HER ANYTHING!

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 116

Just say Thank you and GOOD- BYE....Here is your Money...

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 116

YUCK! What a witch, Id use another word, but its the holiday season. Give her the money back, and be done with it. I dont think you want to have an ongoing dispute with someone like that! And, unfortunately in any good buisness, the customer is always right, so give her what she wants and youll never have to deal with her again! They didnt eat the cake, right? If they ate it, that would be a different story, but the way I understand, she actually brought the cake back. Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 116

I'm interested to see what everyone else says. I've never had to deal with this situation, so I can't say for sure. To me, it's not fair to give ALL the money back, when you didn't actually do anything wrong. If the cake really was undercooked, or if she specifically ordered white cake and you did it marble, or whatever, then maybe I would, but it sounds like she is just being anal & very picky. Did she ask for a specific flavor? I'm just confused as to why she would be suprised that the cake was marbled.

Probably what I would do, since she brought the cake back, is give her maybe 1/2 the money back, and tell her you're not giving her a full refund 'cause there is nothing actually wrong with the cake, you make your cakes moist, it's supposed to be like that.
I'm sorry this happened to you. You must be feeling pretty bad right now. Just remember that it's not your fault, there are just people like that in this world that you can't please, no matter how hard you try, and we're all bound to come across them at some point in our lives. Good luck with however you decide to handle this situation.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 116

I would probably give her her money back just because I am a pushover - and would worry about her bad mouthing me and if she got a refund then she might not be so inclined to badmouth, however, it sounds like your not going to win at all with this woman. I do think it is not fair and you did nothing wrong and you should not have to refund her money. icon_smile.gif

Sorry it happened to you!

icon_smile.gif Sarah

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 116

I think JennT said it perfectly. I wouldn't refund any of her money, nor would I offer her a discount for a future order (do you really want to deal with her again?). If she's going to bad mouth your business, she'll do it regardless of whether or not you give her any refund. Just tell her that cakes are supposed to be moist, and remind her that she ordered marble, and, like Jenn said, the cake not being what she is used to from OTHER bakers is NOT a reason for a refund.

I hate that you're having to deal with someone like her...but I get the feeling that she WANTED to find fault with something; she must have! Otherwise, she wouldn't be complaining about the cake being moist. Ooooooh, some people!! icon_mad.gif I'm glad she's not my customer, especially today. I woke up grumpy and have stayed grumpy all day! icon_twisted.gif I might have taken the cake back to her and smashed it in her face!! icon_biggrin.gif

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 116

well put melissablack!

ge978 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 116

Sorry I forgot to add that she didn't bring the whole cake back. It was a 1/4 sheet and she brought back less than 1/2 of it. The way they cut the cake it fed about 20 people and she brought back 7 pieces. And she ordered a marble cake specifically(sp?) I figure she is going to say bad things about me either way, but she paid me with a check and now I have to make sure she doesn't cancel it. I would offer money back on the next one, but I really don't want her business at all!! I'm not going to dry out my cakes to make someone happy. I also put time, effort,money into this cake and hate to refund for something so stupid.
What's she going to tell her friends about my cake that it was too moist? I guess I consider that a compliment icon_lol.gif

I knew you guys would understand!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 116

NO money back she 3/4 of the cake, come on. If it was that bad she would have brought you back more then half the cake. If you have not deposit the check yet then go to her bank to cash it today before she puts a hold on it. Even she calls the bank today it should not be in system until after closing tonight. When I have to stop checks, they all ways tell me if they came in today to cash it their is a high chance it will clear before everything get process. Good luck and if you gave her back her she is still going to bad mouth sounds likes she has some problems.

Good luck.

mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:07pm
post #17 of 116

if they ate over 1/2 the cake couldnt have been much of a problem . go get your money and tell her where to stick it!!! sorry bout that is just not right.
stacy,

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 116

Im sorry you had to deal with that, I hate people like that they are soo miserable, I agree with what everyone said no money back if it was that bad she should've collected all the cake slices that everyone hated and brough the whole thing bad. Obviously the guests didn't think it was bad and ate it. Give her a piece of advice and tell her to get a loaf of SOUR DOUGH BREAD for her next party instead of a cake.
And while she is at it she should go open her mouth as big as she can (I'm sure it's pretty big) and tell people how much she hated your cake because it was MOIST, if I was you I'll even give her a discount for another cake so she can tell people how she despises your moist marble cake even some more lol.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:27pm
post #19 of 116

What the..?

Oh I don't think so girlfriend. No money back Wicked witch of the west! She ate more than half of the cake, she got the design she asked for, the flavors she asked for and the cake was moist. Who in the world asks for a "dry" cake? And since she is a weirdo and obviously prefers (supposedly) dry cakes, that's something she should've made you aware of.

You did everything you were asked to do. I do not believe you owe her any money back. As someone already stated, it looks like she is looking for something to whine about because she's trying to be a cheapskate. Saying a cake is "moist" is really reaching. I can't believe she even said that with a straight face - in person, no less! Let her go and "bad mouth" you. She can run and tell the whole neighborhood how MOIST your cakes are! See who looks like the fool.

thumbs_up.gif

ge978 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:30pm
post #20 of 116

The funniest part was that when she came in and told my dad what the problem was he took a bite of the cake and said really loudly - mmmmmmmm this is the best cake I ever had so what exactly is the problem? He also told her that she must have a taste for real dry cakes and maybe thats what she should stick to. He makes me laugh - I wish I had enough guts to say something like that. He said she was just nasty

I guess if I had bought a cake and cut into it and found a problem I wouldn't serve 3/4 of it and only bring in the rest. I would collect as much cake as I could that wasn't eaten and bring it in,(Actually, I probably would just let it go), but I think if you are going to go through the trouble of bringing it in thats what you should do. Sorry to vent so much guys, I just never thought I would ever run into this particular problem!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:37pm
post #21 of 116

Sounds like your dad was nasty, too.

You've lost her as a customer. Now it's time to shut her up so that she doesn't trash your business to other customers.

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:37pm
post #22 of 116

What a dork. Who throws leftover cake at someone? Honestly. icon_rolleyes.gif
If you followed her instructions, then I wouldn't give her the money back. I would also gently suggest she go somewhere else for "dry" cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry, eyeroll again.

(Did she actually say that with a straight face?)

Anyway, I would also suggest that you never accept a job from her again because obviously, she's just looking to get something for nothing. She's right up there with peple who enter a restaurant with the intention of not paying for their meals or who eat 7/8 orf their meal, then summon the manager to complain that it was inedible.

I wouldn't worry about her badmouthing you to other customers. This type of person would have done that anyway, whether you gave her the refund or not. If you'd given her the most beautiful, delicious cake in the history of carbs, she would have complained. (I'm not saying you didn't. I'm just abusing hyperbole.)

and yes, she will sound like an idiot for complaining that her cake was too moist.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 116

That Lady is just crazy. Who wants a dry cake. In my book she would get NO money back. In my book they ate all the cake. Seven pieces is nothing compared to how much of it that is gone.

Sorry you had to deal with that.

ge978 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:45pm
post #24 of 116

BalloonWhisk: He wasn't nasty by any stretch of the imagination. She was rude in front of the other customers and nothing was going to make her happy. He was waiting on a customer and she interrupted him to make a scene. I think he had restraint. I don't really care what she tells other people because her complaint was totally ridiculous. If she would have managed to be reasonable then he would have accomodated her.

And she agreed that she likes dry cakes when he made the comment to her and yes with a straight face goodcakefairy icon_lol.gif I'm still laughing about the dork comment icon_lol.gif

mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:51pm
post #25 of 116

i dont think he rude bye any means , sounds like my dad !! he just dont put up with the dumm stuff!

goodcakefairy Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:51pm
post #26 of 116

ge978:
When I see a dork, I call a dork. It's my personal policy. icon_biggrin.gif

goodcakefairy Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:54pm
post #27 of 116

P.S. Your cakes are great. I love the Halloween birthday slaughter! That lady is crazy.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:56pm
post #28 of 116

OMG! I can't believe the nerve of some people!! When you first posted, I imagined only a piece gone from the corner. BUT ONLY 7 PIECES LEFT?! That's insane! Definitely NO MONEY back! I agree with most people here that whether or not you give her a refund, she's going to bad mouth you. How stupid is she going to look. "Don't order from her because her cakes are moist!"

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 10:58pm
post #29 of 116

I have to agree with what a few other people said...if you haven't already deposited the check from her, I would take it to HER bank to cash it. If you deposit it in your account, that gives her about 2 extra days to stop payment on it before it clears her account. If she does that, then not only are you out the amount of the check but also whatever fee your bank charges for depositing bad checks. But, if you take it to her bank to cash it, then you're in the clear.

ge978 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 11:11pm
post #30 of 116

Cakesoncall: Unfortunately the check has already been deposited. Thank you for the advice though.
Mamastacy: Thank you for saying that...I didn't think he was being rude either. He just doesn't put up with tantrums.
Goodcakefairy: Thats a good policy to have icon_lol.gif Thank you for the compliments on my cakes. The barbie massacre cake was fun to do...I think everyone thinks I'm a little twisted now icon_twisted.gif
llee815

Quote:
Quote:

:"Don't order from her because her cakes are moist!"

I should put that on my business card icon_lol.gif It does read kind of stupid doesn't it. Like I said that is the nicest complaint I've had on a cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%