Christmas Tree Hunting

Lounge By Cake_Geek Updated 13 Dec 2005 , 1:30pm by MainCake

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 4

DH's family has always gone to a tree farm and cut a fresh Christmas tree for as long as he can remember. Since we've been in our house, we've always gone with them for our tree. We've always had great success at the same 2-3 farms (alternating annually) and it was always tons of fun. The last 2 years (including this year) has been awful!! Getting everyone together, deciding where to eat, when to meet, what day to go.. To top it off as well, the tree farms have been awful. I don't know if it is a cycle with pine trees in this area (MD) but they have been awfully shaped, short, thin, or bare.

DH and I went this year by ourselves and my 2 yo nephew. We drove around from 9 am to 1230 pm, went to 2 tree farms with acres of trees each and were so disappointed to not find one we liked. We ended up at a tree farm 15 mins from our home just b/c it was on the way home and found some that were at least tall enough (only a 5.5-6ft tree maybe). The guy at the farm told us "$45 and up" but I guess we should have clarified "and up" b/c we got screwed paying 75$ for a douglas fir that needed a tupae (sp?).

We figure next year, we'll just go to the volunteer fire co lot and buy one there. At least the money is going somewhere important. When we have kids, maybe we'll go back to the tree farm.

3 replies
MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 4

My step-children, my 19 month old son and I went to get a tree (didn't wait for my husband, he usually gets very grumpy when we're tree shopping). My step-kids, Gabby and Tyler found a few trees they liked and we decided on one. Because it was on a very busy street and my son likes to run, I had to hold him and couldn't put him down. So I took the tag off the tree and went over to stand in line. There were two customers in front of me, each holding the tree they wanted. My step-son, Tyler stood by the tree to make sure no one else took it (he was very worried about that!) and my step-daughter Gabby, my son and I waited in line. My son decided he wanted to be near his Bubba. So Gabby stayed in line and I went to stand near Tyler which was maybe 8 - 10 feet behind where Gabby was. Well, it was freezing cold and the kids decided they wanted to wait in the car, which was off to my left. So they took my son and went to the car to wait for me. I didn't bother grabbing the tree we chose (I still had the tag) because I'm only about 5' tall and the tree was 6 to 6.5 feet tall. I decided not to try to manhandle it by myself. So I'm still waiting and this guy gets out of his truck and he's wearing a t-shirt, shorts and loafers like it's the middle of July or something. It had to have been maybe mid-20's outside! It's December in Maine!! He acted like he was in a very bad mood (of course he was, it was darn cold!). He grabbed a tree, came over and stood beside me (there were people in line behind me too). So when the guy in front of me went up, the t-shirt guy walked in front of me. I was like, No way. I have 3 kids waiting in a car for me and I've been in line for a few minutes now. It's not happening. So I said "Sir". Nothing. So then I said "Excuse me Sir, I was in front of you!" He turned around and said "Well you weren't holding a tree.". Well, Duh! What did he think I was standing there for anyway?? So I held up my tag. He moved out of my way. But he did cut in front of the people who were behind me. I felt bad for them. I should have showed him where the end of the line was.

Anyway, the nice men selling the trees loaded the tree onto my vehicle and tied it down. Got it home, put it in the tree stand and what a beautiful tree! Kids picked a good one! Happy Holidays everyone!

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 12:25am
post #3 of 4

Man.. I wish my day went that easy!! Sorry the turd guy was so grumpy to you.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. It was easy overall. I was just amazed the guy had the nerve to jump in front of me. It wasn't my fault he wasn't dressed for the weather. Who wears shorts and a t-shirt in December in Maine?? I think his wife put him up to stopping for the tree and he was PO'd about it. Oh well.

I got a super cute tree stand to put it in at the Christmas Tree Shop. It's an old fashioned looking sled, with the wooden slats (is that right?) and metal runners. It was only $20 and it looks so nice with the tree!

I hope you have better luck next year! Happy Holidays icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%