Black Frosting

Decorating By stacey1972 Updated 25 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm by Jopalis

stacey1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey1972 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 11:56am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone use a different black dye than Wilton? I always avoid doing black on a cake because I think the Witlon black dye makes the frosting taste very bitter. Any ideas? My son wants a Darth Vader or Deathstar cake for his B-Day. Thanks.

10 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 11

Start with chocolate frosting/icing/fondant and use Wilton black dye, since that's what you have. You'll be amazed at how easily the icing gets black. HTH icon_smile.gif

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 11

Many people use Americolor. To make black more easily start with brown and then add the black. I'm always surprised by the amount needed, but with brown you'll get there a lot faster. It also darkens as it sits.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 11

Americolor is a better black than Wilton. I also would start with chocolate frosting. thumbs_up.gif

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 11

Americolor is the way to go. icon_biggrin.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:02am
post #6 of 11

Americolor Super Black and if you start with chocolate frosting.

The super red is great too. I buy both of those.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:07am
post #7 of 11

Another vote for starting with chocolate frosting. I had to do this with my last two cakes. I also used Hershey's special dark cocoa to make my buttercream; which is a bit darker than the regular cocoa. (I also use Americolor)

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:52am
post #8 of 11

I am using lots of black as well and red. I bought the Americolor red and balck. Is it bitter? I can not use chocolate. The brown in a good Idea though.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:58am
post #9 of 11

Americolor all the way. Use the black and let it sit overnight - it will get a lot darker! I have never tired using the brown first then using black, but it might work. However, I always use black and let it sit also - remember that it will appear black to most people even though you might not think it is black enough!

Jopalis Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:05am
post #10 of 11

Someone had a posting a while back that she accidentally turned her icing black. Others repeated it and said it worked great. Think it did have something to do with the Hershey's dark. I don't think she even used any black.... Anyone remember?

Jopalis Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 11

Never mind ....it was her MMF she turned black....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%