Glaze Under Fondant

Decorating By TickledPink Updated 11 Dec 2005 , 4:34pm by Lizzard1

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 10 Dec 2005 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

I've only used buttercream as a crumb coat under my fondant but after hearing about using a glaze, I'm thinking of switching.

anyone do this and have good results?

Also what type of glaze did you use?

4 replies
Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 3:12am
post #2 of 5

The only glaze that I use is the apricot

Warm 250 gr (9oz) apricot jam in a saucepan until melted. Press it through a sieve, add 2 tbsp lemon juice, bring to the boil for 30 sec and let it cool, apply with a brush. I just love b/c add more flavour/less sugar to the icing and brings out the cake!
Claudia

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 10:44am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickledPink

I've only used buttercream as a crumb coat under my fondant but after hearing about using a glaze, I'm thinking of switching.

anyone do this and have good results?

Also what type of glaze did you use?

Tickledpink, I find that using buttercream not only acts as a crumb coating, but also as a foundation for your fondant. If you use a glaze, you will need to add something for a foundation. In Australia for fruit cakes we use marzipan, let it sit for about 48 hours before putting the fondant. On chocolate mud cakes i've used two layers of fondant.
Hope this helps
Nati
PS: I have never used glaze though, i use sugarsyrup to stick my fondant on, because if your cake is going to sit for a long time, especially fruit cakes that can last for months, apricot glaze has a tendency to ferment.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5

When I did my tier cake..(in my photos) I jsut brushed with apricot glaze and applied the fondant and it sticks to it nicely...

Now those cakes were white and banana...I have a chocolate cake that I want to try to do the same thing to but I'm afraid it will show through..maybe if I make the fondant thicker...i'm going to try it out next week and i'll keep u posted

but i know it works for light colored cakes

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 5

i have used piping gel in the past! if that helps any. it stuck very nicely!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%