Chocolate Clay

Decorating By FaithsPlace Updated 26 Feb 2007 , 2:09pm by Steady2Hands

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 11

How do I use Chocolate clay? Is it the same thing as fondant? I read on someones cake pic. that they used chocolate clay and was just wondering about it...Thanks for your help!!

10 replies
bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 11

As far as I know you can do pretty much the same thing with it as fondant. I've yet to try it, but plan on it.

FaithsPlace Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 11

Ok, cool...it looks so much tastier then the fondant I have been buying. Anything I can cover in chocolate sounds good to me!!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 11

Chocolate clay can be used for a variety of things. I recently made sugar cookies and for the first time, decorated them using chocolate clay. I also just made my first chocolate clay roses for a Valentines Day cake. You can also cover an entire cake with it although I heard it is a little harder to do than fondant because it does not "drape", it is a bit firmer. I like it because it tastes soo much better than regular Wilton fondant and is not as sweet as MMF and is super easy to make!

FaithsPlace Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 11

Oh ok...sounds good! How do you make it? Is it in a package that I would need to purchase or is it something I can make?

Thanks for your help!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:52am
post #6 of 11

Here's a recipe for it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_rate-1985-5.html

To cover a cake, just knead in about 1 T. Crisco or about 1/2 tsp. glycerine per lb. of chocolate clay. Practice before attempting a "customer" cake. You'll be glad you did.

As mentioned, it doesn't drape as easily as fondant, but it will work. Make sure you knead it until it's soft and then work quickly with it as you roll it out and cover the cake.

Have Fun!

FaithsPlace Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:02am
post #7 of 11

Thank you sooo much for the recipe! Anything that taste better than fondant is a winner to me, especailly chocolate icon_lol.gif

sugarshane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshane Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 11

I love working with the chocolate clay for just about everything. The one thing I have trouble with is using it in molds. I tried making flowers using it and a hard mold, and I've tried using it to make lace in a silicon mold. I had no luck at all. Is it the clay that's the problem or is it I just don't know how to use the molds?

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 11

When you go to knead the chocolate make sure you use crisco, like you would MMF! It is very easy to work with. I have covered several cakes and I found it fairly easy to work with!

sugarshane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshane Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 11

I just got back from shopping with my daughter and granddaughter, and boy, I'm tired. Thanks for the tip! One more thing, for a regular batch of clay, how much shortening would I use? Wow, I can't get over this site. Have a question, get an answer the same day! Thanks!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 2:09pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshane

Wow, I can't get over this site. Have a question, get an answer the same day! Thanks!

Ooops icon_redface.gif It's been 2 days. My DD has been very sick, I had a women's conference, and have been preparing for my mother to visit. I haven't been on CC in 2 days icon_cry.gif . That is totally not normal icon_lol.gif .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshane

for a regular batch of clay, how much shortening would I use?

I use about 1 TBSP.

I hope it's not too late.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%