Ok, I Just Had To Share (Long)

Decorating By ntertayneme Updated 24 Feb 2007 , 2:49am by eagerlearner

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 28

My, now soon to be future son-in-law, called me about 3 weeks before Valentine's Day and asked me if he could marry my daughter. I'm so excited because I totally love the guy and think he is going to be the BEST son-in-law. I thought it was so special that he asked me to marry my daughter too. Long story, but her father has never really been a part of her life since she was 8 years old when we divorced... So he asked me to marry her, which I thought was very special icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I have to tell the story behind it all, kind of long, but funny, so here we go.....

It all began with him calling me of course, then him saying he wanted to get her ring and give it to her on February 16th when he flew down here to see her after Valentine's Day... he lives in Virginia, she lives here in Louisiana .. they met while he was down here on a assignment for about a year, fell in love and have managed to keep the long distance romance alive for over 2 years now icon_smile.gif They both agreed to wait on Valentine's Day gifts and give them to each other when he flew down instead of trying to have them delivered or mailed to each other ... so he asked for my help and we started planning how and where he was going to do the marriage proposal as he knew she wasn't expecting it and wanted it to be a TOTAL surprise ... he was going to take her to a romantic dinner but things happened (she has 2 children and lives with my niece that has 2 children) and babysitting 4 children, trying to find sitters for 4 to take her out for dinner, just wasn't working out. He decided to do the marriage proposal over lunch instead while all 4 children were at school/daycare. My future son-in-law also wanted me and asked me to be there when he proposed to my daughter, so he asked me to suggest she, him and myself all go out to lunch after his flight arrived here in town. My daughter always, always questions him about what he gets her for any occasion and of course they play the game of him giving her hints and her trying to guess what it is.... well, she usually always guesses it... so this time, he had to not give her any information at all about what her gift was to be .. being the nosey thing she can be at times, she made him play a game (a real game) called 20 questions... she'd let the game ask the questions and he'd have to answer them truthfully, which he did, all except for one question, to which he didn't totally lie but just said "unknown" .. the game guessed she'd get a skillet, lol ... now my future son-in-law called me to tell me all about the 20 questions game and to let me know she was going crazy trying to work out what he'd gotten her for Valentine's Day ... so later on, while going out for dinner with her 3 days before he arrived and playing totally dumb, I asked her if she had any idea what he was getting her for Valentine's Day.. she told me she had no idea but it had best not be a skillet or she'd hit him over the head with it (now you got to know where I'm going w/this one, lol) ... of course I had to act as though I knew nothing about the skillet and let her explain... later I called my future son-in-law and told him we HAD to get a skillet to give to her at the restuarant as her Valentine's gift from him to her as a joke ... I bought the biggest Wok I could find and put it in a beautiful pink bag (her fav color) and had it at the restaurant waiting for them to arrive ... she comes walking in and finds me and the first question out of her mouth is "What's that?" I told her it was her Valentine's Day gift from her boyfriend, that he'd asked me to pick it up for him because it was too large for him to carry down here... God forgive me but I SOOOOO lied!! lol Well, he came walking in a couple of minutes behind her (had to smoke a cigarette to calm his nerves) and I could tell he was a complete nervous wreck, which he'd been text messaging me the entire time he was in route here telling me he was nervous but very much ready to do the proposal... so he looks at me and says, "Go ahead and give her the gift I got you to get for her"... I hand the bag over to my daughter and she looks at both of us after pulling out the huge Wok from the bag and just says "Ha, Ha, very funny you guys!!" .... of course we were killing ourselves laughing at her ... then he tells her to close her eyes and he'll give her the Valentine's Day present he got her... to which he gets the ring out of his pocket, slides it on her finger, tells her to open her eyes and then proposes .... and of course she said, YES!!! She did not have a clue at all that he was proposing to her .... we managed to keep it a total secret icon_biggrin.gif The date has been set for Memorial Day weekend 2008 so we do have time to prepare icon_smile.gif Guess who gets to do her wedding cake??? icon_wink.gif and my sister is a florist so she'll do all the flowers icon_biggrin.gif We're going to have so much fun!!!! I just had to share the great news with all my CC friends!!!

27 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 28

That is such a neat story!! And what a sweet future SIL you have. Congrats. icon_smile.gif

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 28

Way cool, congrats.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 28

Congratulations! That is so sweet and funny too.
Can't wait to see what you are going to do for her wedding cake!

Cindy

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 28

that is awesome, wtg not telling her anything, not sure i could have help my tounge lol

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 28

Congrats!!! I think that it was really neat that he involved you in the proposal. What a great story!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 28

Reading this post made me smile and laugh pretty hard a couple of times. NEAT story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your new soon to be son-in-law. Sounds like a great guy! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

eyrthmothr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyrthmothr Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 28

What a great story! I just knew you were going to say you baked a cake that looked like a skillet!! Congratulations to them, and to you!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 28

How cool it that!! Thanks for sharing.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 28

aaaaaaaaaaaaw...I need a tissue! That was sooo sweet.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 28

what a great story, he sounds very sweet!

ntertayneme Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 28

I forgot to add she had seen an engagement ring in the Cosmopolitan magazine, called a "callacut" diamond and just fell in love with it ... Shey had mentioned this to me before in the past ... to which I mentioned to him and he did some research on it ... there just so happened to be a jeweler not far from him that deals with this cut of diamond .. he got her the ring she dreamed of in a beautiful platinum setting .. it is gorgeous!! Of course she started crying when she saw the ring that she'd only dreamed about having and she actually got icon_biggrin.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 28

And now for every anniversary he has to get her a skillet.

ROFL

Rachel

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 28

Cheryl,

First off, a big congratulations to your daughter and future SIL icon_biggrin.gif

Secondly, I know you are on cloud nine...it was so nice of him to include you in the proposal.

Thirdly, I can't wait to see the CAKE icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 28

Congrats, Great story. Sounds like a sweetie.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 28

Ahhh that story was soooooo sweet. I just love stories like that. He is a sweetie for having you involved. icon_wink.gif

Good luck to you all thumbs_up.gif

I can not wait to see pics of the cake.

ntertayneme Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 28

Hahahaha .. great idea Rachel... I'll have to make her a skillet cake now!! icon_wink.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 4:49pm
post #18 of 28

Wow, how romantic and thoughtful of him to include you in everything. He certainly sounds like a very respectful guy. How lucky of you to have him in your family. thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 10:12pm
post #19 of 28

Awh, what a sweet story! Congrats to you and your daughter!

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:02am
post #20 of 28

How cute! I got goosebumps reading the story!!

Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:07am
post #21 of 28

congratulations!!!! That is just wonderful and he sounds like a super guy!

..can't wait to hear about the cake!!

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:42am
post #22 of 28

I've got chills reading how excited you are! That's a sweet story. You should print out a copy to keep while it's still fresh in your mind. Tell the happy couple Congratulations!!!!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #23 of 28

Isn't this a Hallmark movie? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Congratulations thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #24 of 28

now that's a sweet story!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:16am
post #25 of 28

Congrats to you and your daughter and future SIL! That was a great story! Skillet cake would be awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

gatorbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorbear Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #26 of 28

COngrats!!!!! That story is awesome!!!!

Ok, so I think you shouldn't make her a skillet cake and make one as the groom's cake and surprise them both. icon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 1:41am
post #27 of 28

That's great news!! I agree that making a skillet cake for one of the marriage occasions would be cute! Thanks for sharing!!

eagerlearner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eagerlearner Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:49am
post #28 of 28

How sweet!!!!!! icon_cry.gif I very nearly cried. icon_lol.gif Can't wait to see that cake!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%