Difficult Child

Lounge By princess_tonya Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 1:28pm by princess_tonya

princess_tonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess_tonya Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 29

I have a one year old daughter that is very difficult. She is never happy, she wants to cuddle, then she doesn't, she wants to nap, then she doesn't, she constantly whines and cries. She is allergic to milk and soy, so I have to be careful of anything that I feed her. Nothing makes her happy. She is such a grumpy baby and I am about to LOSE MY MIND!!!!!

My husband is in the AF and we live so far away from family, I have absolutely no help with her. We have been here for two years and I have yet to make any friends. I am always busy with her and the other parents here my age are....how to put this nicely....not as good as they can be. I will not leave my children with a babysitter so I can go and party all the time. It's to the point that I don't have anyone to leave her with ever. I don't think that I am better than them, I just don't trust how they treat their own children, I'm not about to leave my child with them.

I love my daughter, but I am at my breaking point. I just needed to vent. My husband works mids and he sleeps during the day so he only gets to help for a few hours in the evening. I welcome it when I get it. Thanks for letting me cry a little.

28 replies
Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 29

I totally understand where you are at emotionally right now. My husband has, how can I say it nicely? Not been a great husband and father. He's picked up on the father end of it (my son is now 3.5) as far as being involved (not always in the right way though - he does not know how to discipline, and never has so much as given him a time-out); but doesn't have that sense of responsibility like I do. I was going through the same thing at the same age with my little guy. Not with the allergies, but he's a very intense kid (love him more than anything); and at one year old, I was working full time, and my husband didn't help me at all during my time off. I also had no family here at the time. If I wasn't working, he figured it was my job to be the homemaker. I would love to be a homemaker; but I'd like it to be my ONLY job. Anyway, sorry to bring my own personal rant to this, but I just want the moral of the story to be that you are not alone, every parent gets frustrated. I often feel like the worst mother in the world and I think I get aggravated with my son too easily (mostly because of circumstance). We have to do the best we can with what we have, and don't feel bad about telling your husband he needs to take care of your daughter every once in a while on his day off. You might have to force the issue at first, but remind him while he works mids, you work 24 hours a day and need a break too. It's not just for you, it's for your daughter. You'll be a better parent for it icon_wink.gif

What does your husband do in the AF? I was an SP back in 93-97

princess_tonya Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 29

I think I made my husband look worse than he is. He does help as much as he can. I don't think he realized how much I was getting down until yesterday when his mom was on the phone and started lecturing me (again) and I hung up on her. I think after that he has realized that I am at my end and need something. He just doesn't have the time to help as much as I need him to.

Anyway, he does sheet metal on the jets. I love the military life we have, I just hate that I have no family and have no friends. At least I don't worry about where money will come from when he has his knee surgery.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 29

No, you didn't make your husband sound bad at all. I just know that a lot of women have a hard time getting that time off they need because they feel bad about forcing the issue a bit. I am sure your hubby works very hard and is tired every day and would like to enjoy his days off by relaxing as much as possible. What I'm saying, is that a few hours isn't always enough. Get out for the whole day. Go treat yourself to a day at the spa (if you like that kind of thing); and do it on a regular basis (like once a month, once every other month). Does your husband know how you are feeling? Maybe you need a trip to see your family? And don't let your mother in law get to you too much; that's their job for some reason; I'm thankful my inlaws live in Canada and I am in Arizona! HA!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 29

Hey there--

I've had those 'overwhelming' times too. I have two little guys (3.5 and 2), and there have been days where I've wanted to run from the house, screaming at the top of my lungs. I went from a full time career to being a stay at home mom.... and honestly, working full time outside the house was MUCH easier than staying home.

I am so grateful and happy to have my little guys, and I try to remember that during those frustrating times. We have two people/sets of friends who we truly trust to watch our kids... we don't go out much without them. BUT..... I've found two things that keep me sane. One is that I go to a local park and just let them go bananas for a few hours playing (wears them out). Maybe there is some place you could go to take your daughter to play (other than where you know that some of those other moms might be). I would try to get out and find some new spots.... the parks are free, so it would be a relatively cheap thing. We have a bunch of parks here, and I've been making the rounds with the kids... they love it, and I get to talk to real people (other moms), so I love it. I see you're in SC, so I'm not sure how the weather is right now.......if it's too cold for something like that, maybe go to a mall where they have those kiddie play areas - I'm always meeting other worn out moms there too! icon_lol.gif

Another thing that really helps me is that my husband is great when it comes to getting me to go and do things by myself. Last year he sent me on a cruise with a friend of mine to the Bahamas for 4 days (a little extreme...... but it was great). Normally though, he'll suggest things like he'll watch the boys for the day so that I can go shop, or things like that. The last thing I did was last Friday.... I went to a sushi making class with a friend. So maybe your hubby can do something like that... even if it's just for a couple of hours... you can get out and have that 'unattached' feeling for a bit where you don't have the little one constantly needing your attention.

Hope this helps..... and if you ever want to chat, feel free to email me or pm me anytime.
Denise

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 29

it could be the foods that are bothereing her, i've seen this on some medical programs, the allergies cause all kinds of problems in kids. i know its expensive but you may want her checked for more than what you said. I had a cousin who had some problems with foods and once they got it all figured out his attitude changed totally. you might want to discuss it with your pediatrician. also kids can tell when parents are at there ends. when i would get there i would just take a day. take the kids to the park pack a picnic lunch and just not do the same old stuff we always did. we all needed a break from the ordinary. she may too. hoep this helps, sorry its so rough for you. my hubby is a truck driver and when my kids were little my parents lived in pa. so i didn't have much help either. it gets better. also, i had a preschool teacher tell me that even when its cold take them outside and let them run around the house a few times, the fresh air does them good and lets them get some of that pent up energy out. it won't hurt. so i started doing that too. take a nature walk.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 3:25am
post #7 of 29

What are the symptoms that your baby is having with milk allergies? Is she throwing up? Is she breaking out in hives? Is she having a lot of gas? Is her nose running? Any of these would be an allergic reactionn to milk. Is she also cutting teeth. This will make any child very cranky and not know what they want. Sometimes they act as if they have an earache and won't eat much. Is the child around anyone that smokes? Even if they do not smoke in fron of the child it can still affect them. My child was extremely allergic to smoke and would have bad headaches, runny nose and even a bloody nose. I never allowed anyone to smoke around him, but if he came in contact with smoke that was on clothing, he became sick. Your child could be allergic to something as simple as wheat. What type of foods does your child eat? If you really want to find out, start elimating one food at a time for two weeks. Keep a diary and note any changes, like runny nose, watery eyes, etc. My son also reacted to vitamins. They would rev up his system so much that I thought he was possibly hyperactive. Then I discovered that on the weekends, I would forget the routine of giving him his vitamins and he was normal. Took him off the vitamins and no more hyperness.

Suggestions for what you can do to get help with your child. Is there a mother's day out in your area? There are some that allow you to drop off your child for 2 or 3 hours to play with other children for a small fee or they trade babysitting services. Is there a grandparents community center that would enjoy playing with her? I don't mean leave her, but just to hold her and teach her songs or read. This is a two fold suggestion. It also makes the elderly feel needed and they usually don't get to play with babies often. You might also acquire some valuable information on taking care of your baby from them. When she gets really grouchy, let her play in the tub for a little while. This tends to settle them down and puts them in a better mood. You also might be going through postpardum depression even one year after her birth. It is probably not the case, you are just tired of carring the entire load 24/7. Have you ever thought about switching your schedule and hers to match your husbands? It only takes a few days as long as family and friends understand why you are doing this. Don't let the phone interfere with this schedule. This way your dh can help watch her and everyone can sleep at the same time. It feels strange but it can be done. You do need help and a break, the trick is to find out what will work for you. The Library is also a great place to visit for entertainment. They usually have story telling and puppet shows, and you get to meet another group of responsible parents. I hope some of this helps. I use to watch babies (ages 4 weeks to 4 years of age) for 15 years and I have seen many exhausted Moms and allergy babies and they all worked through their problems with a little help from someone. It is better to vent to us than to take it out on your baby.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 29

My first child was the difficult one. Partly because he spent the first six month puking from any liquid that went into his stomach and partly because of me being the new mom. My couches and carpeting were ruined from his stomach probs. He was a terrible sleeper. My doctor was more of the natural, no medicine doctor, so I got no help from him. Eventually he grew out of those problems. Then he started walking, running, and in just a few years I had a budding teenager in a 3 year old body! My husband was my savior when the kids were babies.

My only advice is to look into the allergy problems because they really can upset their whole mood. The first year with my boys was rough because of the stomach problems. I know you said the young moms are not very responsible, but are there some older women that you could trust there? Maybe your husband can help find someone for you by asking his co-workers. I know that a lot of people offered to take my kids when they were young and I never took them up on it. I wish I would have.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 29

I'm really interested in this thread. I have 2 boys, a year apart....they're almost 5 & 6.....the younger one we've always had problems with.

He never slept through the night until he was 13 months old!!! He was allergic to something in powder formula. He spit up a lot. My Mom always thought he had acid reflux, but the doctor never confirmed that. He's the moodiest child I've ever seen! He changes his mind constantly!!!!! Earlier today, he wouldn't get out of the truck when he & dh & fil went to walmart....he said he wanted to go to the bigger walmart. They didn't even know what he was talking about....but why wouldnt he even get out of the truck?

If you try to correct him he whines & cries. If you try to get him to do something that he needs to do, he whines & cries. He takes 30 min. to eat one pop tart!!! He goofs off all of the time instead of doing what he's supposed to do. We keep a schedule around here & if it's not followed, he really gets grumpy!!!

I don't know what to do with him. I don't expect him & his brother to be exactly the same, I just can't get over the fact that they're 100% opposite of each other. The christian church preschool kicked him out stating that they believed he has adhd. He's not hyper all of the time, he can concentrate....when he wants to................he's just so defiant!

princess_tonya...I, in no way, meant to take over your thread.....I just read the title & thought maybe someone could help me too. I completely understand how you feel........at wits end. I think the food allergy would be enough to handle without all of the grumpiness. Don't know how you're hanging in there, but I wish you luck!

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

I'm really interested in this thread. I have 2 boys, a year apart....they're almost 5 & 6.....the younger one we've always had problems with.

He never slept through the night until he was 13 months old!!! He was allergic to something in powder formula. He spit up a lot. My Mom always thought he had acid reflux, but the doctor never confirmed that. He's the moodiest child I've ever seen! He changes his mind constantly!!!!! Earlier today, he wouldn't get out of the truck when he & dh & fil went to walmart....he said he wanted to go to the bigger walmart. They didn't even know what he was talking about....but why wouldnt he even get out of the truck?

If you try to correct him he whines & cries. If you try to get him to do something that he needs to do, he whines & cries. He takes 30 min. to eat one pop tart!!! He goofs off all of the time instead of doing what he's supposed to do. We keep a schedule around here & if it's not followed, he really gets grumpy!!!

I don't know what to do with him. I don't expect him & his brother to be exactly the same, I just can't get over the fact that they're 100% opposite of each other. The christian church preschool kicked him out stating that they believed he has adhd. He's not hyper all of the time, he can concentrate....when he wants to................he's just so defiant!

princess_tonya...I, in no way, meant to take over your thread.....I just read the title & thought maybe someone could help me too. I completely understand how you feel........at wits end. I think the food allergy would be enough to handle without all of the grumpiness. Don't know how you're hanging in there, but I wish you luck!

Children with ADHD and ADD can concentrate. They just can only concentrate on things that are interesting to them/engaging. Either way it sounds like your son is having behavioral problems and if you can't figure out what's wrong, a therapist/psychologist could help determine if it's a mental disorder (Mood disorder, behavioral disorder, etc). If it is then they can either give him therapy to help, or if it's really needed correct the issue with an appropriate medication. My brother had problems like you mentioned and he was diagnosed with ADD. He was put onto a lose dose of medication and he improved drastically, was much happier, etc.

Also I'd take him to see his pediatrician and have them run tests for food allergies or possible things hurting him, etc. My 4 year old cousin was behaving poorly and they found out that she had a hernia!

princess_tonya Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 29

I totally understand the spitting up thing. She has done it from the day she was born. I tried mursing, that didn't work, she was on three different types of formula, finally found one that worked, very expensive mind you. She can be so sweet, but so mean the next second.

I learned yesterday that I have to have a hysterectomy, I'm only 24 yrs old. I'm upset that I can't have any more babies, but I don't think I can handle anymore. I think this is God's way of saving me. I automatically get a break during my surgery time, and I don't have to worry about another child like her. I love her, more than anything, but her brother and her are enough. I would take a hundred more like him, but not anymore like her. She can be really sweet, it's just that she is for only about five minutes a day.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 29

I knew someone who's son spit up all the time and it was actually a medical condition and once he had surgery to correct it things were much better. I think it was something in the espophgus area.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 2:48am
post #13 of 29

She can be really sweet, it's just that she is for only about five minutes a day.

For a minute there I thought I posted about one of my girls and didn't realise it. I love my kids too, but my girls are very hard to handle for me. Nice one second and spitting out flames the next. I hope everything goes well for you and your surgery.

dldbrou Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:18am
post #14 of 29

I don't know if this will help anyone with hyper children, but when I worked with Dr. Shedd (now deseased) dealing with children that were dyslexic, more than half were very hyper. It was a six week summer program and the first thing he did that was maintained the entire 6 weeks was he used honey whenever sugar would have been used. In other words, no drinks with sugar, only honey, no baked goods with sugar, just honey. Another thing he did was not allow the children to have any food with red dye or any persertives. I saw such a dramatic change in so many children. Are your children getting an overload of caffeine? It is hidden in a lot of foods and drinks. I mentioned before that vitamins were my son's big problem for hyperness. Mood swings are not easy to deal with, but firm and consistant rules are usually the best way to deal with attention behavior. When your child acts out let them know that there is a consenquence for such behavior and stick with the discipline no matter how much screamming they do. Screamming will not hurt you child, it just wears them down eventually. When they stop the tantrum, ask them if they are ready to be nice and then change the subject. They understand more than you think. And they are experts at getting what they want, usually by wearing you down.

mmdd, Find out what your child enjoys the most and use this as an incentive to get your child to cooperate. In other words, if he likes to watch a certain show, then when you need to go to the store, tell him that if he behaves himself with you that he will be allowed to watch the show just before he goes to bed. He sounds like he needs to find his special interest that he truley enjoys and then build on it. I work with children that are ADHD, Dyslexic, Asberger, Terrets, MS, and Paraplegic. All of them have at least one thing that gets them excited because they are good at it. When I need for them to do work for me, they know that they will be rewarded with whatever they like to do. I just have to make sure that I make time in the schedule to let them have their special time.

princess_tonya, I am sorry that you seem so upset with your daughter's behavior. You must be so stressed with her actions and your medical news. I was only able to have one child and I know how at a young age it is upsetting to be told you cannot have any more children. Your daughter might be acting out now, and hopefully when she becomes more independant, she will settle down and discover she can do more things herself instead of demanding you to do them for her. At her age, given her allergies, she must feel rotten all the time and is taking it out on you. Does she have a lot of stuffed animals? Sometimes, they will also have an allergy to the stuff they fill the animals with. You might also wash them in hot water often to kill the dust mites that might be affecting her. My son had a favorite small pillow that he could not sleep without and guess what gave him headaches. I had to triple case his pillow so that he would not get as many headaches. Carpets and animals are also culprets for allergies. I am just throwing out suggestions that I have dealt with. I had an infant daycare for 15 years and have come across so many illnesses that eventually were figured out and not one child was thrown back. LOL Kids are not intentionally mean, they usually don't feel good or they are learning their behavior from someone in the family, sibling, cousin, parent, aunts, uncles, and the worse offender is television.

I know this will sound strange to some of you, but have you ever watched Cesar Millan, The Dog Wisperer? Some of the things he says to teach dogs can very easily be applied to bringing up children. If you get a chance, watch for his show to see what I mean.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 5:47am
post #15 of 29

mmdd, I agree with dldbrou...I don't know anything about ADHD, but my DS gets like that sometimes, just completely gets irrational if he doesn't get what he wants...even if we can't figure out what it is that he wants. We had a terrible time until he fell in love with video games, now that's our playing piece. If he cooperates, he gets video game time. If not, he's grounded from them. He behaves a LOT more now.

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 24 Feb 2007 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 29

Are there any other moms' groups you could go to? Your daughter can play with the toys and you can have some conversation with adults.

I always thought these groups were helpful since all the adults ended up talking about problems with kids.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 25 Feb 2007 , 1:37am
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

Children with ADHD and ADD can concentrate. They just can only concentrate on things that are interesting to them/engaging. Either way it sounds like your son is having behavioral problems and if you can't figure out what's wrong, a therapist/psychologist could help determine if it's a mental disorder (Mood disorder, behavioral disorder, etc). If it is then they can either give him therapy to help, or if it's really needed correct the issue with an appropriate medication. My brother had problems like you mentioned and he was diagnosed with ADD. He was put onto a lose dose of medication and he improved drastically, was much happier, etc.

Also I'd take him to see his pediatrician and have them run tests for food allergies or possible things hurting him, etc. My 4 year old cousin was behaving poorly and they found out that she had a hernia!

Thank you! I guess I really didn't realize that food allergies, etc. could really cause children to behave poorly.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 29

When you think about it, children might not know how to tell us what is hurting them.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 7:20pm
post #19 of 29

I had boys first and then a girl. All three are so different. I completely understand all the talk about ADHD because it had been suggested about my son by a pre-school teacher. He doesn't have it, but it has bothered me since. I ask every teacher at our first conference each year and they have told me she was wrong. But, every year I still worry about it. He has that layed back personality and I don't so it's hard to deal with. Anytime you want to talk about boys let me know.

As for girls, my daughter is very easy to get along with for the most part. She is young, so I've been told to watch out, but if she is suppose to be a challenge as she gets older and they are suppose to get easier I'll be just fine. No worse than I am now.

Meigan

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 29

I know it's been a while for this thread. I found it while looking for something else.

I was just wondering how things were going. I have a 4½ yo daughter that can be difficult on her best days. I don't think she gets enough sleep. She doesn't nap and hasn't since she was 2½ because even if she got 20 minutes she'd be up until 10pm. So short of conking her on the head, I'm at a loss.

dldbrou Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #21 of 29

thems_my_kids,

I had trouble with my son not getting enough sleep. I noticed that on weekends he did much better than the weekdays, I figured out what the difference was. On the weekdays we had a strict schedule, wake up, eat breakfast, take vitamins, go to grandma for the day while I went to work. On the weekend, we would sleep late, take it easy for the day and everything would run smooth. The biggest problem was his vitamins. When we got up on the weekends, I would forget to give him his vitamins. He would not fight sleep at all. During the week, it was like war to get him to sleep. I checked with his doctor and got the okay to take him off his vitamins and our world became normal. This is just a suggestion that you might look into.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:25am
post #22 of 29

Princess Tonya,

Just wondered how things are going? I'm not sure if you're following this thread anymore, but just wanted to check.

Where in SC do you live? I live in Anderson, SC. Are we close?

I'm sorry you were having such a hard time. I hope things are going better for you. It's hard being a Mom!

Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you want to.

Sherri

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:53am
post #23 of 29

perhaps speak with your daughters' physician or yours if yours is different. they can recommend help resources with both child and mom's needs. remember your not alone. I met my husband after he got out of the airforce but went through similar with my chlidren when the oldest was born 4 weeks early and milk intolerant.

princess_tonya Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:05pm
post #24 of 29

Things are a little better. She's not as cranky, but I wouldn't call her happy either. We are seeing a gastrointerologist about her puking because she is 17 months old and still doing it. I don't like the doctor we are seeing and am trying to get us a referral to a different one. She still can't have any dairy or soy products and it is getting more and more difficult to feed her. She gets on these food kicks and will eat nothing but that food for a week, then after it she wants nothing to do wit it. Right now she is in love with peanut butter. But she hates bread. So she licks the peanut butter off the bread and throws the bread on the floor. Which is odd, because for the past 6 months she ate any kind of bread you put in front of her. She changes from one week to the next. Maybe next week she'll actually want to eat broccoli. HAHAHA....that was funny wasn't it. icon_smile.gif

PS-MessyBaker- We are in Sumter SC. Don't know how far Anderson is. We've been here for two and a half years and I still don't know my way around.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:49pm
post #25 of 29

Tonya, I'm in the upstate close to Clemson in the upper corner region. Wish we were closer.

I hope you can find a doctor you like. It seems like you have to be a squeaky wheel when it comes to healthcare. I would keep pressing for what might be her problem, if any.

Two of my kids would choose spoonfuls of peanutbutter right from the jar over a candybar anyday! I can remember when my first daughter would go for days not eating much of anything. I was always worried because she was off the chart in height, but below average in weight. The doctor and nurses always thought I was doing something wrong. icon_cry.gif Made me feel like crap! Then when my other 3 children came along, I realized all kids go through stages like that.

I wish that doctor could see her now. She's sooo tall!!!!
She is 11 years old and is 5'5" tall. Her shoe size is an eleven in ladies!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif
I don't think she will ever be overweight although she eats like a grown man! I should add that my husband is 6'6" tall.

I hope you will be able to find some friends close to you. I stink at that because my husband was/is a preacher (not pastoring a church right now). But every church we were in, I felt like everyone was so judgemental icon_mad.gif and always watching me. I have to tell you.. I'm me no matter what. I don't enjoy pretending to be someone else! So I never got close to anyone, and chruch people hate that about the "preacher's wife". I still have trust issues when it comes to really letting people in my life.

We go to an awesome church right now, if anyone wants to check it out, you can see our services on the web at www.newspring.cc
I must warn you, our pastor is crazy!

If you've been there two years already, girl you're in a rut! You will have to make an effort to find some worthy friends, but be encouraaged, someone is out there who needs you too. Go find her!

Sherri

dldbrou Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:12am
post #26 of 29

Princess_Tonya, my son had what is called "geographical tongue". It is a virus in his system that affects his tastebuds on his tongue. He would love a certain food and for no reason refuse to eat it. The virus would change daily or weekly on his tongue. It looked like milk residue on his tongue. It would change shape every week and that is what made his taste change. He finally outgrew it when he hit puberty. Now he eats everything. He was also a soy baby and had milk allergies. Just a little more information for you to process.

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 29

My son just turned two and is quite the handfull. I was so hoping he'd get his dad's easy going attitude but he got all of my temper and attitude and then some. He was never really and easy child, starting w/ three years TTC, three months of bedrest, a wretched delivery, colic and acid reflux icon_confused.gif . I knew I had an issue when at almost 9mos old he was playing w/ the Fisher Price Noah's Ark and taking all the animals out and standing them up. The giraffe fell over so he picked it up and stood it up and when it feel over again he picked it up and whipped it across the room. icon_eek.gif

Dh wasn't prepared for the challenge Peyton has been and it took him awhile to really get on board w/ discipline especially since we feel like that's all we ever do w/ him. BUT I firmly believe if we weren't so strict w/ his behavior (too strict according to my IL's) he'd be a total disaster no one would want to be around.

There are days when Mommy just needs a time out so I don't lose my temper. I used to feel SOO guilty about needing a break and never let him go anywhere w/o me until my mom told me that she can totally see why I would need a short break now and then and that I shouldn't feel bad about it and it's better for Peyton to have a calm mom than a stressed one. I always felt like I was a bad mom or "less of a mom" for not always being able to calmly handle him and his intense personality.

It's not that Peyton is a "bad" kid he's just a lot different than most kids his age. Someone told me once that people who say "high needs" kids don't exist obviously don't have on and ITA! Take Peyton to a play date and the kid sticks out like a sore thumb lol.

So I agree w/ the pp's that said a mommy day off is needed every once in awhile.

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:26pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

thems_my_kids,

I had trouble with my son not getting enough sleep. I noticed that on weekends he did much better than the weekdays, I figured out what the difference was. On the weekdays we had a strict schedule, wake up, eat breakfast, take vitamins, go to grandma for the day while I went to work. On the weekend, we would sleep late, take it easy for the day and everything would run smooth. The biggest problem was his vitamins. When we got up on the weekends, I would forget to give him his vitamins. He would not fight sleep at all. During the week, it was like war to get him to sleep. I checked with his doctor and got the okay to take him off his vitamins and our world became normal. This is just a suggestion that you might look into.

I'm afraid that's not a solution for us since my kids aren't taking vitamins. I'm glad it worked for you though. I'm hoping jsut to wear her out during the day so she is just pain tuckered out at night! Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

princess_tonya Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:28pm
post #29 of 29

I did get thankfully get her an appointment to see a different gastrointerologist. The new one is three hours away. It's about an hour farther than the one we were seeing, but hopefully we will get some answers. I've been doing alot of reading and researching about milk protein allergy and I'm getting more and more convinced that is what she has. She can't have anything with milk or soy in it. It doesn't help me with getting her to eat, but it might explain why she is still puking everyday. I have been going through everything in my cupboard and reading ingredients lists. My mil sent me a list of all the names of milk proteins and sugars. I'm comparing the list to ingredients lists and it's taking forever. I want to get a hold of her doctor and ask about a referral to a allergist. We already saw a nutritionist and that was worthless. I'm close to pulling my hair out with it all. I don't want to go overboard, but I want my daughter fixed. I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. I don't know how I'll get through all of this, I just know I will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%