Help! Can't Use Dragees-What Do I Do?

Decorating By brubake Updated 20 Dec 2005 , 2:13pm by cakeconfections

brubake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brubake Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 44

Apparently silver dragees are now a non food decoration only item. Before I knew this, I commited to doing a wedding cake with about a zillion of them on the bottom of each tier.
Any ideas for alternatives? Is there a way to make metallic silver icing that I could pipe?

43 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 44

Try making fondant pearls and using luster dust on them. You can purchase that in a silvery color.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 44

Even the metallic dusts that would be used to paint/pipe silver are now considered for decoration only icon_sad.gif You can still use the dragees on cakes but you have to specify that they are for decoration only and shouldn't be eaten. Maybe even have a waiver signed...

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 44

could someone explain exactly why they are considered to be unsafe? I have no idea!!

Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 44

Because they contain silver as a color additive and the FDA considers that unsafe for consumption.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 44

I don't know why they are not safe...but you can pipe silver or gold icing with this recipe:

2 tsp. powdered sugar
2 tsp gold or silver metallic luster dust
clear alcohol
1 tsp. piping gel

on a small plate, mix sugar and luster dust. Add a few drops clear alcohol (gin or vodka is great) and mix well with a small palette knife to form a stiff paste.

Add the piping gel and mix well until the consistency for piping is reached.

Double or triple for larger batches....save leftovers in fridge .....I hope this helps...

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 44

I did the same thing with a very large 3 tiered anniversary cake that I made. I didn't realize that NO ONE in my area sells the edible ones!!! They were crucial to the cake so I went ahead and used the non-edible ones and told the woman to make sure and remove them. A pain, but if you want the look!!! The other option is to make your own as Mac suggested but I didn't want to go through the effort!! Good luck!

ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 44

It is so ironic.....the government approves of not putting restrictions on air pollution, and yet they disapprove of silver dragees. They may as well outlaw twinkies, McDonald's, sweet-n-low and Cheez whiz...I bet you'd find lots of stuff in there that's just as bad if not worse than silver dragees. UGH!! (on a mad rampage!! MUST HAVE DRAGEES!!)

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Even the metallic dusts that would be used to paint/pipe silver are now considered for decoration only You can still use the dragees on cakes but you have to specify that they are for decoration only and shouldn't be eaten. Maybe even have a waiver signed...

There is some info on sugarcraft.com-I couldn't get the link to post right but just look up dusts and there are several links. But it talks about the dragees can be used but would have to be removed.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 44

You can still use them, and unless you live in California you can order them online.Here's a site that has them:

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/dragees.htm

It's the silver and gold powder that has been deemed "unsafe" for consumption by the FDA, but they won't make you any sicker than luster dust would, which is also labeled for decoration only. I think you'd have to eat a ton of them to feel any effect. You'd probably get a tummyache from the sugar first.

In other words, if you're not in CA and have time to order them, that's what I'd do.

*edited cuz I left an incomplete thought

ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 44

Ok, I did some research. They are only harmful if you eat them in huge quantities every day over an entire lifetime.

There is a lawyer named Mark Pollock in California who is initiating legislation against their use in that state because of a potential for them to be harmful if people eat fistfuls for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Who seriously is going to do that?
To me, I think this dude has a bit too much time on his hands than to panic the country over silver dragees.
People continue to put sweet and low in their coffee, but they don't pour gallons of it in. If they did, then it would be really harmful. In small doses on occasion, it's fine.
He's really hurt the cake decorating industry in California and has managed to tick off many online cake supply stores.

Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 44

I agree with you. I think they're safe to eat and outside of the states, they are considered edible. The problem is that the FDA has declared them unsafe for decades. The lawsuits in CA have in a way enforced the FDA regulations since people continued to use them despite the FDA findings. If you use them on cakes, cookies etc and don't disclose that they are for decoration only, you may open yourself up to being sued no matter what state you live in but especially in CA.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 44

Maybe they should put silver dragees in the category with Sudafed, which I have to show my drivers license to buy. May kids make meth with the silver and gold dusts????? Or is it b/c they have trans-fat and they made me fat? I can't remember dunce.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 44

I'm with Ellen on this...YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lololol!

AND...brubake, I'd use 'em and provide a disclaimer to the purchaser stating the situation....

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 44

Yet they still allow people to smoke when we all know smoking can kill you.

Great idea to make dragees illegal to buy and sell and use, but cigarettes well.... no biggie.

The common sense baffles me. For the record I don't care if anyone does smoke, just making a comparison.

ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:30pm
post #16 of 44

I hear you on that one, tickled. Lisa, that is an excellent point. People look for reasons to sue you. I made some wreath cupcakes with gold dragee balls; I'll be sure to put a sticker on the box explaining that they are for decorative purposes.

brubake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brubake Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 44

Thanks everybody. Honestly, when she showed me the picture of the cake, I was more worried that someone would break a tooth instead of getting sick from silver poisoning. I think I will try the recipe using the piping gel, tell the caterer serving it to scrape them off, and have the customer sign a waiver. That way all of my bases are covered! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickledPink

Yet they still allow people to smoke when we all know smoking can kill you.

Great idea to make dragees illegal to buy and sell and use, but cigarettes well.... no biggie.

The common sense baffles me. For the record I don't care if anyone does smoke, just making a comparison.

icon_lol.gif The only thing that saves the tobacco industry is that the FDA doesn't regulate them. They've tried but... If little dragees only had as much political influence icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

dodibug Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 5:21pm
post #19 of 44

Along the same vein, it's the same for all the dusts too right? I have to do a wedding cake with white chocolate seashells that they wanted colored but still be edible. I looked on sugarcraft and they have a brand Crystal Colors that is FDA approved but I'm not sure if they have any shimmer to them and they are $5 a jar!!

Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 5:39pm
post #20 of 44

You know what's really odd is that I'm looking through the latest ACD (American Cake Decorating mag) and they're giving cake instructions calling for the use of dragees and metallic dusts icon_confused.gif No mention of them being inedible. Did they not get the memo? Or is it not that big a deal?

dodibug Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:30pm
post #21 of 44

I honestly don't think it is that big a deal. It's not like you are going to eat the whole jar! The FDA has some funny ideas about things sometimes.

betycrker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
betycrker Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:48pm
post #22 of 44

the crystal colors do not have any shimmer to them. they are just true food color. (very deep and vibrant) The cost $5.00 but a little truly goes along way. If u want some shimmer u may hafta use the wilton shimmer stuff... or will crushed edible glitter work I wonder?

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 44

I purchased two containers of luster dust (expensive stuff!) in October 2005, one silver, the other gold. BOTH containers say right on them "Non Toxic". So I'm confused. Dragees are considered unsafe, but luster dust is not? Or is the maker of the luster dust I purchased falsely advertising??

I agree with the smoking thing (although in Maine, you can't smoke in any public place anymore, not even a bar - Yahoo!!). And I also agree with the theory that you'd have to eat large quantities of luster dust/dragees to develop any kind of sickness. Just MHO.

Lisa Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:55pm
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvallee

I purchased two containers of luster dust (expensive stuff!) in October 2005, one silver, the other gold. BOTH containers say right on them "Non Toxic". So I'm confused. Dragees are considered unsafe, but luster dust is not? Or is the maker of the luster dust I purchased falsely advertising??

Non-toxic doesn't mean edible and those are also considered by the FDA to be for deco only. The dusts/dragees are considered edible outside of the states though which might explain the labeling.

betycrker Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:56pm
post #25 of 44

Not supposed to eat the luster dusts either.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:09pm
post #26 of 44

My goodness, I was horrified to read these posts. You can buy these thing in the supermarket in Australia. I am hoping you are all talking about what i've attached as a picture here, cause we call them cachous in Australia.
I am originally from Uruguay, and when we were growing up our birthday cakes consisted of a buttercake filled with caramel, covered in boiled meringue and sprinkled with cachous all over. They were the only decorating item we were able to get our hands on at the time.
So far i've only used them on one cake, but thank goodness we are can still to use them and buy them freely.
Nati
LL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:13pm
post #27 of 44

..yep, they appear to be the same thing! Ijust put some on a cake I did last night and silly me, did't even give it a second thought!

betycrker Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:14pm
post #28 of 44

Thats the stuff. U guys are sure lucky not to hafta deal with all this nonsense

ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:35pm
post #29 of 44

It's just crazy! I don't understand why the FDA doesn't deem McDonald's toxic. It's high fat food causes tons of diseases: obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure. When then, criminalize a piece of candy? It IS horrifying that people are going to pick on a little silver candy that has been used in Europe for centuries. I am not sure of the exact history of this candy, but I don't think there are many Europeans keeling over from silver dragee poisoning. I just have a hard time with the hypocrisy that goes on with our decision makers sometimes.

ellepal Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:39pm
post #30 of 44

Sorry! I must be on a rampage!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%