Cake Textures

Decorating By jespooky Updated 23 Feb 2007 , 2:22am by jespooky

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 17

How do you get the texture that a store bought cake has? I had a cake today at work that was from a local bakery and it still had that same texture. What's the secret?? OR......what kind of ingredients change cake texture, and to what texture? icon_redface.gif sorry it all sounds so jumbled!

16 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 17

I'd bet that others can answer this question better, but one thing that can change the texture of a cake is the flour.

Using Cake Flour will give the cake a smaller "crumb" and a finer texture, slightly lighter, and lets the other ingredients like the butter and chocolate tastes come through.

more thoughts anyone?

icon_smile.gif

jespooky Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #3 of 17

icon_smile.gif bumping

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:31am
post #4 of 17

would like to know too...bump

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:48am
post #5 of 17

I've always wondered too. I use sour cream, buttermilk and/or yogurt which makes the cake more moist but never could get that 'bakery-type' texture, even with homemade or cake mix cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 17

I've NO idea if this is it or not........

I never refrigerate my cakes (I don't really like cold cake - bleck!). But I made one for my family (a rare and unique event!) that was torted and filled with raspberry filling. With the filling, I thought it would be best to put the leftover in the 'frig. Had a piece the next day for breakfast (ok ... ok ... I'm not a traditional breakfast food lover!) and I was amazed at the "texture" difference! It seemed to cut smoother and had less of a "crumbly" look (although for the record, my cakes don't crumble! icon_wink.gif ).

I know bakeries and Walmarts refrigerate (and sometimes freeze for a year) their cakes. Maybe this is part of the difference?????

Again ... I've no idea. Just sharing my one teeny observation at my house.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 17

I'm certianly no expert, but here's what I've noticed....

My husband really likes cakes made from a mix (no doctoring) the best. He especially LOVES when that cake has been refrigerated. The refrigeration does change the texture somewhat. I'm not sure that I'd say it makes them more dense... but they are definetly less crumbly.

For other people, I make more flavorful cakes by doctoring cake mixes. When I doctor them and use extra egg OR milk for the liquid they have a different texture, too. Sort of similar to the refrigerated cakes. They aren't "heavy" but they are more dense. They are MUCH easier to carve, too.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 17

I use the Super Enhanced Recipe or the WASC recipe a lot. I have found that sifting the flour and any cake mixes gives a finer crumb. I also agree that putting it in the fridge as well gives the texture you are talking about. As long as you keep it covered it will stay fresh and if you can cut it and let it come to room temp. before serving will have less crumbs.
Personally I am a huge fan of cold cake so it usually does not get to room temp.!
Tracy

czyadgrl Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 17

wow? cold cake lovers? it's just funny that last week I realized that I HATE cold cake. To me, it seems to make them more dense and kind of "gummy" like texture?

Plus, like most other things (cheese, beer, wine, chocolate ... all those other yummy things), the flavors don't come out as well when it's cold as opposed to room temp.

Just my opinion though! icon_smile.gif

I wonder if the "bakery" texture is a product of some of the preservatives that are added to box or other pre-made mixes that are often used by stores?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

wow? cold cake lovers? it's just funny that last week I realized that I HATE cold cake. To me, it seems to make them more dense and kind of "gummy" like texture?

Plus, like most other things (cheese, beer, wine, chocolate ... all those other yummy things), the flavors don't come out as well when it's cold as opposed to room temp.

Just my opinion though! icon_smile.gif

I wonder if the "bakery" texture is a product of some of the preservatives that are added to box or other pre-made mixes that are often used by stores?

I also wonder the same thing? icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 17

I just had the same experience the other night. I made an 8" and a 6" of the same batter...WASC. AFter they cooled I torted, filled and frosted the 6" cake but couldn't get to the 8" that night. I wrapped the 2 8" rounds in plastic wrap and refrigerated. Took them out of the refrigerator and torted and frosted them the next night. The texture was completely different! Not necessarily more dense, but had much less crumb and was a ton easier to torte and after frosting, a much cleaner cut.

I've always been a proponent of cakes that have been frozen, but never tried just refrigerating them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 17

See why we all luv this site? No matter how new or how long you've been doing this, we all learn something new everyday! thumbs_up.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 17

[url] I can understand the cheese, chocolate and wine, but warm beer icon_surprised.gif [/url][/quote]

jespooky Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 10:00pm
post #14 of 17

I'm just wondering if anyone that has ever worked for a store bakery or private owned bakery is willing to share the secret!!

czyadgrl Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 10:12pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka

[url] I can understand the cheese, chocolate and wine, but warm beer icon_surprised.gif [/url]

[/quote]

hahaha. isn't beer served room-temp in Germany? i think I heard that sometime.

ok, how about less-cold beer? you know how esp. bad cheep beer tastes better when it's nearly frozen? that's what I was going for there.

icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 1:24am
post #16 of 17

Well, depending on the bakery, a lot of them use mixes, so that could be why. Not all bakeries bake from scratch, especially chain stores/grocery stores.

jespooky Posted 23 Feb 2007 , 2:22am
post #17 of 17

I bake from mixes too, but i still never get as great a texture as the store cakes icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%