Adding Sparkle To A Fondant Bow

Decorating By jlh Updated 7 Dec 2005 , 10:30pm by adven68

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 9:56am
post #1 of 9

I just assembled my first bow tonight and I love it. It was a practice, but I'm considering puttting it on the cake (and saving some work). I'd like to add those sparkle flakes from Michaels. I was going to brush the edges of the loops and shake on the sprinkles. The party is this Saturday. I cut and formed the loops Monday night. I don't have much experience with fondant. Is this too long to have the bow sitting out? Will it crack by Saturday? Also, the bow is dry, will I risk it by brushing water on it now to add the sprinkles?
thanks
pam

8 replies
cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 9

I dont think if you burhs a little water on there it would kill the whole project. alcohol is probaby better b.c it will dry faster...and i dont think it will break by saturday, the more it dries the better it is..i think.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 9

You can safely brush the bow with either alcohol or extract and then apply the sparkles! Just go very lightly!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 9

I was wanting to make a fondant bow with my leftover MMF. Does anyone have any tips on doing this? Thanks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 9
llee815 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMissey

..sure, here is the link to the article:
http://cakecentral.com/article17-How-to-Make-a-Fondant-Loop-Bow.html

Thank you! I tried to do a search for one but didn't see it!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks all for the advice. Ilee - I can't remember who told me, but the key for me was remembering to turn some loops side ways. I started by facing them all the same way and quickly remembered the trick! Also, I cut a piece of PVC pipe and took some twine. I shot the twine through the pipe, then was able to tie both ends to my cabinet knobs. It resembled a trapeze swinging bar. It kept my loops hanging nicely and kept it high enough away from the kids. I used 6" strips, rolled to 1/8 inch. I used exactly 20.

llee815 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 9

jlh,
Thanks for all the info!! I love the PVC and twine idea! I was wondering where I was going to put it without my daughter getting to it!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 9

The PVC and twine is a great idea....thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%