Remove Edible Images From Frosting Sheet Paper?

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm by paolacaracas

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 14

I heard through a cake friend that I could use my standard printer with edible image frosting sheets if the item isn't going to be consumed. I am doing an Oscar party cake on Sunday and will be doing gumpaste forms with edible image paper attached. I sent for the paper, it just arrived and I have been playing, printing out images. But I tried peeling away one of the images that I am using as practice and the edges tore or crumbled as I started removing it from the paper. Is there a magic way to get them off intact? I think I have heard of freezing them first but haven't had time to try that yet. Anyone have a magic answer, please?

13 replies
fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 14

Shirley- If you just pop it into the freezer for a minute it will come right off. It literally takes less than 60 sec!

ShirleyW Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 14

Yay! I knew someone here would have the answer. Thank you Sally! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 14

Shirley,

I put mine in the freezer for about 3 to 5 seconds and it releases from the paper thumbs_up.gif .

ShirleyW Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 14

Good news. I figured it had to be something simple or I would have seen more posts like mine asking for help. Thanks Stephanie. This year comes the investment in an edible printer. I have always said I thought they would be a waste of money for me, that I wouldn't use it that often. But I am seeing more and more ideas for ways of using one.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 14

Shirley,

I love mine to death; sure beats the time it takes to do a fbct icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, you can do a lot with edible images thumbs_up.gif

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 14

I just ordered my Epson and also the frosting sheets and ink. Can't wait to get it and start playing party.gif

I didn't think I would use one much either and here latley, the last 5 cakes I have done I would have killed for one. Can't wait for it to get here. Just checked and everything has been shipped.

Guess you know what I'm going to be doing this weekend icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:22am
post #8 of 14

I need to do a big long discussion thread on edible printers when I get ready to buy. There are so many companies making them now and knowing next to nothing about them I have lots of questions.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:40am
post #9 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif Edible image tips from me icon_biggrin.gif

Depending on your edible images, if they are too dry and crack way too easily--Find a container big enough that it will lay flat in, with a LID... like a casserole dish or a large cake dome. Nuke a cup of water, and set it in the container with the image for a minute or so. The steam will help to moisten the image to make it a bit softer.

IF your image is now tooo wet, or sticky from humidity, you can put it in a oven set to just 300 degrees for a minute, and that will help dry it out. Or just let it sit out for a few minutes.

Use a pizza cutter to cut special lines or curves in it.

And, you can rub the paper along the edge of a table, like you would rub a dollar bill to get it flat enough to go into a cash accepter. usually, if the edible is dry enough, it will just pop right off.

Hope it all helps someone someday! thumbs_up.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 12:14pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I need to do a big long discussion thread on edible printers when I get ready to buy. There are so many companies making them now and knowing next to nothing about them I have lots of questions.

Hey Shirley! Kopykake makes edible ink cartridges for just Canon and Epson printers and most other places only hace cartridges for Canons. If you go to kopykake.com, they have a list of compatible printers and ones they recommend: http://www.kopykake.com/pc_CompatiblePrinterGuide.html

I just got a new Epson C88 because my Canon kicked the bucket. For the past few cakes I have been just using my regular printer and putting the image on a fondant or gumpaste plaque and then let people know to remove the image before eating. I have just been using my edible printer so much, it is worth every penny I put into it. Compatible Canons are hard to come by now, so that is why I opted for the Epson. I have to get new cartridges for it since the Canon ones are not compatible, but that is okay. I ended up getting the C88 at Radio Shack (someone else mentioned it in another post) for $40. They are on Clearance there, so many of the stores don't have them. But I was able to get the last one in my area! Yahoo! They are normally around $80 in other stores that carry it.

Really consisder the investment, they more searching you do, you can really find good deals on printers. Good luck!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 12:16pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Good news. I figured it had to be something simple or I would have seen more posts like mine asking for help. Thanks Stephanie. This year comes the investment in an edible printer. I have always said I thought they would be a waste of money for me, that I wouldn't use it that often. But I am seeing more and more ideas for ways of using one.

Once you buy the printer you'll get ideas on how to use it, But I have to warn you, the printer is a pain...at least for me, It clogs too much!!!
I have the epson with kopykake inks.
There are many things to do that are not simply printing and sticking a a photo, but those simple cakes are done in a sec. with an airbrush, and sell well, I do mine in 10 min or less. So the printer will soon pay for itself.
See the backjardigans cake in my photos, those are copykake figures.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 3:58pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the tips ladies. Just a warning, expect more printer questions before I can make a decision. icon_lol.gif

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 14

Do you guys charge extra for the edible image, or do you just raise the cake price a little to cover supplied and count it as (less) time well spent?

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 14

I don´t charge extra, to me is another sales tool. I sell a lot of this simple cakes, they need to be less expencive, and is ok, cause we don´t put too much time in them, and people like this cakes so why not?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%