About Cake Contests

Lounge By charleydog Updated 7 Dec 2005 , 4:31pm by charleydog

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, So I have an idea for a cake for the contest. I have a few questions...
- does it have to be completely original? Not like I think I would win, however I have had this idea for a while but if I look in the galleries bits and pieces could be taken from others' cakes and I would hate for people to think i am copying?
- if I give credit to certain cakes is that just in bad taste and the cake shouldn't be entered?
- finally does an unprofessional portrait (no fancy back ground) really play on how you guys vote?

PM if you don't want to answer in here
and if this is just a bad taste post I apologize and can ask for it to be removed..

Thanks guys!!

11 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 12

I think we all have bits and pieces of other cakes stored in our memories and they come out sometimes even when we don't mean to copy. It's just what we've learned and if the cake isn't a close copy (a piece here or there from different cakes), I don't think you need to credit where each idea came from. If the cake closely resembles another individual's cake/idea, it's usually good etiquette to cite the source. I think it's okay to enter into a contest either way.

I like simple backgrounds like draped linens. Having a clean background may influence me a little cause it's easier to see cake details without a lot of clutter in the background but fancy photoshopped ones don't. I like the look of them, they just don't influence what I think of the actual cake.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 12

I have a question...maybe i should put it in a different thread, but lets see if it gets answered here first...ok, I already have a pic in my gallery that i want to enter..can i??

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 12

Yes you can. If you PM Jackie, she'll add it to the contest gallery.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleydog

Ok, So I have an idea for a cake for the contest. I have a few questions...
- does it have to be completely original? Not like I think I would win, however I have had this idea for a while but if I look in the galleries bits and pieces could be taken from others' cakes and I would hate for people to think i am copying?
- if I give credit to certain cakes is that just in bad taste and the cake shouldn't be entered?
- finally does an unprofessional portrait (no fancy back ground) really play on how you guys vote?

PM if you don't want to answer in here
and if this is just a bad taste post I apologize and can ask for it to be removed..

Thanks guys!!

I am not sure who said it....but to copy/imitate is to admire or give compliment. If we don't compliment those whom we admire then how will they know they are talented?

Unless you are blatently plagerizing or "stealing" an original idea that has a copywrite then I would not worry about adding other techniques or combining the works you see here. We are all copying the work that Wilton has taught us.

Edited to add: In my opinion it wouldn't be in bad taste to make a cake based on the ieads you get from looking at others. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I was looking at your cakes, they are beautiful. You are very talented. I am not strong on teired cakes yet. BUT I am determined to do well....hehehehehehe icon_wink.gif

Thanks,
Randa

charleydog Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:08am
post #6 of 12

Thanks Randa!!! Yes I was just wondering because I know there was some debate about this in a previous post, and I did not want to ruffle feathers, but it is next to impossible for me to come up with a completely original idea..

Thanks again guys for all your input...

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 12:28am
post #7 of 12

..I think the vast majority of our cakes come from inspiration from a previous cake!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 1:10am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa_000

Unless you are blatently plagerizing or "stealing" an original idea that has a copywrite then I would not worry about adding other techniques or combining the works you see here.

Cake ideas can not be copywrited.

As other's said it is nice to give credit where you idea comes from BUT if you take three or four things from here and there then I don't think you have to list credits for each and every idea. Because even if you take things from here and there, you are putting them together to create a new idea or design. It then becomes yours.

I do think if you directly copy a design (with out any changes or very small changes) then you shouldn't take credit for the idea and should give credit to who orginally did the cake.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:09am
post #9 of 12

Texassugar, that is true, I was referring to Disney, WB that type of thing....to make my point...hehehehehe I was rambling I guess.... icon_razz.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:33am
post #10 of 12

I totally agree with everyone about the copying of cakes. I have looked at several cakes before and then taken those and run with them. I don't believe that copying almost the entire cake and then doing something like changing a border makes the cake your own. And I believe it is "nice manners" and polite to give the person credit.
Now--about photos--people understand if you aren't going to have a professional picture but what I think looks the worst is the background junk that we just don't think of----decorating bags, bowls of frosting etc. I don't know about you guys but when I'm done decorating a cake, my kitchen is a disaster!! I always take the cake and photograph it somewhere else instead of right there on the counter! So just keep in mind what others can see icon_biggrin.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 12

I also think it's quite alright to take ideas from others....but always give them credit for the idea....even in our cake decorating contests...doesn't everyone take creativity into consideration?
Execution is probably the most important aspect...presentation, too should be considered...
a cluttered background doesn't get too many points in my book.

charleydog Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for all the input!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%