Another Name Thread - Sorry!

Business By MainCake Updated 9 Dec 2005 , 1:49pm by MainCake

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 8

What do you all think about "First Desserts" as a cake/confection business name? Please tell me this is an original idea! Or let me know if it's not. I really want an original name for my business. I'm in no way ready to open a shop right now, but it's my ultimate goal. I held a contest at my work a while ago and got a lot of good suggestions, but none really jumped out at me. I ended up choosing "Takes the Cake", but that name is already being used by a lot of different people and in many variations. I'm not completely happy with it. I want a name I really love before getting too far into it. I love First Desserts, but I will only really, really love it if no one else has it.

I'm open to any opinions, critisizms, info regarding the name, etc. Let me have it!

7 replies
charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 8

Ok I'll bite...just for the record this MHO!!!
I sthat name significant to you in some way? I am not crazy about it, it doesn't pop out at me...I am so not creative, but I do like "dessert first" better... sorry to not have many ideas...

Good luck

MainCake Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 8

No, not significant to me. I just like it. It kind of implies #1 (although, I'm far from #1 talent wise) and also that I do more than just cakes. It sort of rhymes, but isn't really cheesy (at least I didn't think so). I have seen 'dessert first' as a name already. I was thinking of the store window 'First Desserts Bakeshop' "Easy as Pie... Better as Cake" or "Our desserts are first [choice]"

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 8

I like the name! icon_smile.gif My only concern is, if you do pies as one of your other desserts, the saying about "easy as pie - better as cake" kind of implies that your pies aren't as good as your cakes. See what I mean? Just MHO though! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

What about...Just Desserts? As in the saying...they'll get their just desserts? Sort of a play on words. Or maybe Your Just Desserts? Just typing out loud here...lol icon_rolleyes.gif
A long time ago there used to be a place in Atlanta, near the Roxy Theater, I think, called that....they only served sweet stuff, were open from lunch until 1 am...in order to get the theater crowd after the shows...they served coffee too. It was wildly successful, but it's closed now, I think. I know you won't be opening a shop, but just thought I'd share that with you.
As for your suggestions of First Desserts or Desserts First...I like the second option better. icon_smile.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 4:50am
post #6 of 8

I agree with JennT. I like "Just Desserts" better than "First Desserts".

Sorry.

I think that your business name is a good one, but it doesn't scream at me.

Did you have any other names in mind? Share them with us and maybe we can help.....

rainbowz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbowz Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 5:29am
post #7 of 8

"Just Desserts" is a cake cafe around here, neat Toronto. Since it's a relatively obvious phrase, it's also likely used in a lot of other places.

A quick google shows the name popping up in relation to cakes in several states. And countries.

MainCake Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 8

rainbowz, do you mean "Just Desserts" or "First Desserts" pops up everywhere when you google?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%