Little Question

Sugar Work By Liis Updated 7 Dec 2005 , 2:37am by SugarCreations

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 7

hi,
i found something really cool here in cc
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=10210&cat=0&pos=2
i totally love it.

now i just wonder is that done from sugar. i don't know what is isomalt can that be substituted with something else?

I wonder if here is anybody who can give some advice to a totally cluless person who would like to do something similar? Or is it just too complicated and i have to go and buy many things before i ever can do one ball like that? icon_redface.gif

thanks,
Liis

6 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 7

That is awesome isn't it? You may try and send Blakescakes a PM also...

Liis Posted 5 Dec 2005 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 7

omg, never thought of it icon_redface.gif thanks for the idea thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 3:15am
post #4 of 7

Hi, Liis.

You could do all of this with either Isomalt or sugar. Sugar has a slight amber cast to it, so it wouldn't be as clear as the Isomalt, but it would be essentially the same. Also, the Isomalt doesn't suck up water in the air as much, so it stays straighter for a longer period of time. If I were to do this again, I would use the Isomalt--again. The snowflakes stayed straight and clear for days (sugar clouds as it gets crystals re-forming) and the snowman lasted a lot longer than a spun sugar one would have.

Isomalt can be had for about $7-10 per pound--try lepicerie.com . You can also call the Wilton school in chicago--630-985-6077. Their Isomalt is not a regular Wilton product, but the school keeps it on hand.

The snowman is "spun" isomalt/sugar using a "sugar shaker"--a piece of countertop material with multiple long stainless steel screw tips protruding from it. I gathered up the spinnings and formed them into balls.

The free form snowflakes were Isomalt/sugar drizzled onto a silpat mat using a fork.

The bow, hat, and scarf are pulled sugar or Isomalt colored with Wilton gel colors.

Actually, you need more "equipment" for the pulled sugar ribbons than anything else.

Hope this is helpful.
Rae
Blakescakes

ljcordner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljcordner Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

I just recently found this place for Isomalt. Some of you might be interested:

http://www.chefrubber.com/Shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=167&cat=Isomalt

$50.00/11lbs

Larry

Liis Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the info. I will trie and do it one day soon. icon_razz.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 7 Dec 2005 , 2:37am
post #7 of 7

You can avoid the amber color in granulated sugar if you don't allow it to get above 320F. Isomalt or its high powered cousin decomalt will turn amber if allowed to cook for a length of time though it takes a while. Using granulated sugar keep your boiling temp to around 305 or 310. Its best to remove it a few degrees before because the temp will continue to rise after its removed from the heat. Blakescakes is right the isomalt or decomalt is less resistant to moisture. The last sugar competiton they had guess where they had it? Las Vegas. Why? Humidity factor was less of a problem there. Not disagreeing. Just adding a comment since most of my experience has been with granulated sugar and I am use to working with that medium. Its like cake decorating.Its all in what you get use to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%