Help With Fondandt Animals, They Are Falling Apart!!!!

Decorating By Claudine1976 Updated 4 Dec 2005 , 5:28pm by ThePastryDiva

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

I made 4 days ago the animal caracters for my sins first b-day, they came out ok, but now they are falling apart (the ears, and pupils, and the small pieces, how do I put them back together (after they dry) and how do I put them on the cake (is a two stacked cakes a 10 and a 6 on top, I was planning for the animals to go on the sides of the second cake or top one, but i have no idea how to adhere them to the mmf)Thanks a lot....Claudia.
LL

9 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 1:58am
post #2 of 10

I would just glue all the pieces back together with some royal icing.. You could also use royal icing to attach to the side of the cake.

You did a great job, they're really cute!! icon_biggrin.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 2:12am
post #3 of 10

Those animals are sooo cute!

I would follow TamiAZ's advice, use the royal icing to hold everything in place.

Make sure you post a pic of that cake, I can't wait to see it!

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 2:24am
post #4 of 10

Another thing is to make a fondant adhesive, i saw this in a Wilton yearbook. You mix a little bit of fondant with water to make a wet paste. It works real well too. Those are cute!!!!! I'm making a cake right now with fondant animals and they were a pain!!!
Good luck!!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 2:26am
post #5 of 10

somewhere else on here someone suggested using small pieces of broken spaghetti as little "dowels" to hold the parts together.

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 2:35am
post #6 of 10

Thanks!!! I did not expect so many answers so soon!!! thanks a lot!, but if I use RI, do I have to color de icing with the same color os the fondant pieces, for example to atach the ears to the monkey? or the eyes of the elefant (the little black dots came loose)...this cake is for my baby first year (firts baby), so have a special meaning for me. Last nigth I didnt sleep thinking about the cake icon_cry.gif any help will be apreciated... icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 4:08am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudine1976

...or the eyes of the elefant (the little black dots came loose)

You can use your black color paste to paint the black of the eyes. Use a small (new/unused) paint brush or if I just need a dot I use a toothpick.

When I do fondant pieces I use piping gel to glue it together. It's clear so you don't have to color it. icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 10

Lots of options to use as glue:

Royal icing
Piping gel
Fondant pieces mixed with water to make a "soupy" consistency
Equal parts of egg whites and water

..just to name a few!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 10

very nice peices! you have a great talent there!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 10

also if you wish to make your pieces totally edible, once you're done using your royal icing...you can pipe lines.

When these are dry, store them for future use. Use like you would a toothpick or spagetti stick.

You dont' have to worry too much about the kidlets eating this as they will melt when they are eaten.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%