Is Air Brushing Messy????

Decorating By MontiBellesBakery Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 10:01pm by Dale

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 16

I have asked Santa for an airbrush kit and of course Santa's concern is the overspray getting all over my kitchen and dinning room. Is there much overspray?

15 replies
LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 16

It's not like an auto body shop! lol

Mine is not messy and there's very little overspray, if any. The color goes where you point the tip. You could cover your workspace to keep Santa jolly.

DH gave my airbrush kit to me for Christmas (I didn't even have to ask for it) He gave it to me early. Someone suggested he did that so I could be making money for HIS Christmas present. Sneaky Santa, huh?

Hope Santa brings you one!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 16

I also have an airbrush and it doesn't go everywhere! There is actually less overspray than usung the canned wilton sprays.I do find that a few hours after I have used the brush and I blow my nose and you have colored nose critters...HA!HA! GROSS!!!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 16

If you're using it on small areas, it's not messy since you can control the spray but if you're covering a whole cake, it can be very messy. When I airbrushed the Spiderman cake in my photos, I did it on an old ping pong table with the back lifted up. You can also spray inside a large cardboard box.

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 16

Easy solution ... find a big cardboard box... cut the top & most of 2 sides off of it (OR if you access to flat corro, just fold it in half lengthwise and then cut 2 bottom flaps ...) Put this under & behind any cake you're airbrushing, and it will catch any overspray.

The biggest mess I make is on my hands ... you may want to wear thin plastic gloves when you're playing with the airbrush colours LOL

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 16

Ditto Lisa.....she took the words right out of my fingers!!!

Cut the top and one side off a large cardboard box and you'll have a shield. And....it's disposable!

LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 16

Kiddiekakes is right about the Wilton spray. Airbrushing is less messy.

...nose critters...that's gross BUT sooo true. LOL

LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 16

I'm with MelC on the gloves thing. My kitchen shows no signs of color. My fingers stay colored for days unless I wear gloves.

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 16

You guys are great...thanks, I'll pass this info on to Santa.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

I'm with MelC on the gloves thing. My kitchen shows no signs of color. My fingers stay colored for days unless I wear gloves.

Mine too! I rinse them with the airbrush cleaning fluid though and the inks come right off thumbs_up.gif I don't like working with gloves on.

LittleBigMomma Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 16

Oh, Lisa! I didn't know about the cleaning fluid. That's great news! I don't like the gloves either, I'd rather have rainbow fingers, unless I'm doing an upscale event where personal hygiene is so important.

Thanks for the info!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 16

don't forget that you can use the left over in your airbrush cups to decorate the cake box.

I used to use a clean bucket of water to immerse my airbrush to blow it clean when I had to change colors.

Now, I keep the box the cake is going into and instead decorate that...

then with the black airbrush spray I write a short sentiment on the top. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" "CONGRATS"..."FOR YOU" "ENJOY" that sort of thing.

Kids especially love the colorful cake boxes!

by the way, I only do this for my fun cakes not my wedding cakes..lol

I will have to post a picture of one of my boxes for you all to see what I mean!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks for the cleaning fluid tip. I hadn't thought of that, and my hands always get covered. As far as overspray, and mess, I have more problems with my icing sugar than I do overspray from my airbrush. But, I haven't gotten into huge projects like Lisa's spiderman yet either. I do Love my airbrush and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wilma

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 16

I tuck a long vinyl tablecloth from the dollar store into one of my cabinets, but you could easily tape it to the wall, and let it hang down over the counter. It can be wiped down and folded up for storage. I haven't airbrushed many cakes, but I make a pretty big mess. Very little, if any of it is overspray, though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 16

I think there is overspray, but there are ways you can help with it. I don't think it is enough to go much past your work area though.

I've used newspaper on cabinets and such to make clean up easy. I recently got a large box to airbrush in to help.

The spray is usually so fine that you don't see it, but when you run a wet cloth over the area it will come away in the color you were using.

I've airbrushed a cake blue before, and the inside of my nose was blue from breathing the overspray.

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 10:01pm
post #16 of 16

Colored boogers....now that is way too cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%