Shaped Cake Left Over Pieces- How Would You Handle This?

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 3:04am by ncdessertdiva

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:36am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
I made a motocross bike cake for someone and she requested to have the left over cut up pieces on a seperate plate and have them frosted too.

Now this cake was not from a pan. I cut and shaped it from a 1/2 sheet cake so there were quite a few pieces cut away from it. It was made to look just like the photo she provided me with. Normally I cut the shape first, then frost the cake. But for this, the lady wanted all the pieces frosted and I didn't think it would be very easy to frost them after I cut them so I frosted first.

Isn't this a little unusal? I've never had anyone ask for this before. ( I normally make cake balls from the left overs.) I put the left over slices on plastic plates and covered them with plastic wrap for her.

I know I should have charged more for all the details that went into this but I didn't. Then for her to want the extras too...hummm.

How would you handle this? Is it right to charge her for the pieces that are cut away? I'm thinking yes, but I didn't do it. I had no idea what to say to that when she asked so I just did it. Now it's bugging me! When she picked up the cake, she liked it and took a picture of it right away. Then asked for an extra box for the plates of extra cake. I said I didn't have any. GEEZ!

Any thoughts on this?
KimAZ
LL

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:45am
post #2 of 8

Gee whiz...I have never heard of such a request.And how did she know there would be any cake leftover anyways....Sounds like she is trying to get her money's worth by asking for the scraps which is totally tacky to me!! Most customers have absolutely no idea how you make the cake to begin with!!! Weird!! I would have said no too or charge her for the slab cake you did use...Betcha she wouldn't ask again after that!!

Great cake!!! thumbs_up.gif

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

first off great cake!!! second even though the cake took a lot of work, if you had done this cake and not shaped it, it would still have the extra pieces on it instead of in another plate. so basically she payed for a sheet cake and wanted all the cake right. this does seem like a lot of work so i think i would have given her all the pieces like she wanted but charged just a little more because not only did she want all of the sheet cake but she wanted it sculpted as well. thats just me. but the cake you did is great. she should have been very happy with it.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:54am
post #4 of 8

WOW icon_surprised.gif Sounds like she's trying to get her moneys worth and then some to me too!
The good news is your cake was so good you are sure to get more orders... hopefully from her not so tacky guests! thumbs_up.gif
Next time she asks for cake scraps charge her! Does the local bakery give away it's crumbs?icon_lol.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 1:33am
post #5 of 8

That is strange...how did you ice the pieces of leftovers?? I would have put them in a pile with a blob of BC on it. Just kidding!!
I can't see any other reason except like the others said, she wants to get her money's worth!? But strange....

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 1:51am
post #6 of 8

Well the cake looks fantastic thumbs_up.gif It is a weird request but maybe she thought they were going to go to waste? Or maybe she didn't want to have to cut the awesome cake you made until she had to...just hand out the frosted scraps instead lol

saas74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saas74 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 2:49am
post #7 of 8

She sounds like a bit of an odd bird. I have to agree about wanting her money's worth. But she did get that with the great cake that you made. I try not to figure people out anymore....it hurts my head. amy

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:04am
post #8 of 8

Great cake. . . strange customer!
leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%