Fondant: Make It Shiny....help!!!

Decorating By angkimbrell Updated 21 Feb 2007 , 12:34am by johnniekake

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 15

Hi guys,

I am sure this question is out here somewhere, but I couldn't find it anywhere!

Om my last cake, the white and orange 40th bday, I used the fondant to cover. I think I figured out the fondant on the cake part. I used light covering of crisco to keep from sticking. But on the sculpting part, and the stars/flowers they dried out and looked bland up close. I am sure that I am nitpicking because everyone loved it, and didn't know what I was talking about!

As a attempting-to-be-professional-make-a-go-at-cake-decorating (breathe) I want to know does all fondant dry out and look dull after a while? Is there a time limit on creating it, and then delivering the cake with decorations?

Do the famous people, like Colette Peter's, fancy cakes always stay shiny? What does she do to make it look that way? Please help, I am OCD, and want to be perfect. (A curse!)

Also, if you don't want to post trade secrects, you can PM me too!

TIA (learned that today icon_lol.gif )
Angie

14 replies
khufstetler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khufstetler Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know the answer... but would like to, so.....

BUMP

(learned that one not-so-long-ago icon_lol.gif )

blissful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissful Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 15

I was actually told by a hairdresser to dissolve gelatin in some water and spray it onto the cake to make it shiny. I have not tried it yet though. Hopefully someone else will have an idea.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 15

Try using luster dust. It gives it that "professional" look you see and seems to impress people more.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 15

A few ways to get shiny fondant are to hold pieces over steam for a short time, just pass them through the steam a few times, turning each time. Or you could apply shimme dust

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 15

Luster dust or shimmer/sparkle dust are the answer for me. My DD loves painting it on everything. icon_surprised.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 15

I've read that brushing the fondant with piping gel will give it a shine. Luster dust also works well.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 15

You can also add a dab of Crisco to the palm of your hand, use a dry artists paint brush and brush back and forth in the Crisco. The warmth of your hand and the brushing will slightly melt the Crisco, then just brush it on your finished piece. Steaming will make gumpaste or fondant shine for awhile but it will dull to a matte finish after a day or so. The main reason I steam gumpaste flowers is to set the dusting powder so it doesn't flake off on your iced cake. It does add some sheen to the flower as well.

There is also edible lacquer that can be sprayed on but I would only use that for a display piece I wanted to keep for a long while. The lacquer does have a taste to it and it also will begin to yellow after awhile.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 15

I rub lightly with crisco-for the cake. The flowers are usually brushed with luster because I'm addicted to it!! Super pearl rocks my world!! icon_biggrin.gif

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 15

I had also heard that the steam method works well.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 15

i am sooo glad that whoever it was posted this topic about making fondant shiny! I am always wondering how they did that! I love the luster dust but I do think that the crisco might be better. But wouldn't that make the fondant taste funny???

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 15

It is such a light, light layer that I don't think it does anything but add sheen. You wouldn't want to glob it certainly, you just put a tiny bit in your palms, rub them together, and then rub on the cake...kind of like applying lotion to the fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you so much for always being so helpful! I have been addicted to this, and would like to open a bakery here, but don't feel ready. 3 little ones make it hard to practice because there are little fingers inthe icing, and they always have to practice with the fondant too!!!

Saying that outloud was silly! I should BE LETTING them help play, then they stay quiet!!!! Thank you again, Angie

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 15

I lightly spray my entire fondant cake with Pam spray when I'm done if there is cornstarch on it. Check out on CC my Pirates Bat and Hat cake, you can see the shine. At first it turns out REALLY shiny but then it absorbs into the cake, but not all the shine absorbs. Take a peek. I found this out by mistake b/c I had a panic attack when I finished this mostly black cake and had tons of cornstarch on it.

ginger

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 12:34am
post #15 of 15

confectionary glaze

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%