Glazing A Cake Before Icing

Decorating By Tilisha Updated 2 Dec 2005 , 12:23am by ThePastryDiva

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have heard alot of people on here who use a glaze on their cakes to seal the moisture. Can someone help me in that are? I need a recipe for a good one and maybe how do you ice it with the glaze on it.

Tilisha

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

DITTO! I've been wondering if I could do a simple sugar glaze (powdered sugar and water) instead of a glaze made from jelly to crumb coat and then cover w/ real BC. I was thinking the glaze would melt into both cake and BC.

Has anyone tried this?

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 5

you could use apricot glaze...thats something you purchase, it looks like jelly, and then you melt it in a pot with some water and brush it on...

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 12:17am
post #4 of 5

Thanks

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 12:23am
post #5 of 5

By the time I got ready to post, this was off the home page lineup..lol

you can heat the apricot preserves with a little water to thin it down, then sieve it tru a colander to get the pieces of fruit out.

then with a pastry brush you can brush the warm fruit glaze all over your cake. This works well especially to seal the crumbs in a chocolate cake.

Let it "dry" for a few minutes...I glaze my chocolate cake ..then go do the icing..lol

Don't put too much on the cake, you dont want the spatulla full of icing to slide off your cake.

you can use the same glaze to keep your cut fruit nice when you decorate with fresh fruit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%