Does Piping Gel Taste Ok To Eat?

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 4:04am by ValMommytoDanny

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a volcano cake this weekend, and the lava is just tinted piping gel. There's a lot of lava on the volcano, but is it going to be okay to eat? It just looks very unappetizing.

Jennifer

6 replies
Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:00am
post #2 of 7

It has no taste, just like a non flavored jelly type thing going on.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 2:33am
post #3 of 7

Kind of tastes like clear corn syrup, just sweet with not much flavor.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:45am
post #4 of 7

My .02 on this stuff is that it's gross (both taste and texture) in large quantities (more than a #5 tip dot), to me. It also gets rubbery the longer it sits or if it gets very cool. icon_razz.gif To my taste buds, it's actually somewhat bitter--sorry.

If it's possible, I'd suggest using thinned buttercream in various colors of red, orange, and yellow.

Rae

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

I don't care for it in mass doses, either. I was facing the horror of using it once to fill a "swimming pool" and used jello instead.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #6 of 7

I find it nasty on its own. Corn syrup is sweet, piping gel isn't sweet so much, it has an odd tang to it. But i found that over other icing, such as buttercream or flavored fondant it had no apparant taste, it just picked up the underlying flavors of the buttercream and fondant.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:04am
post #7 of 7

Doug was kind enough to share a link with us that uses sugar for the Lava - I am not sure if this is what you are looking for or if a subsitute is an option but here is a link to his original post.
Good luck icon_smile.gif It sounds like a great project.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1169351-volcano.html#1169351

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%