Way Ot: Ebay

Lounge By sweettreasures Updated 1 Dec 2005 , 12:34am by MrsMissey

sweettreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreasures Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere lost in old posts (which I couldn't find)...
Is it worth selling on Ebay? I mean, this forum is filled with intelligent individuals who know a thing or two about business situations, so I knew someone here might have experienced with Ebay.
I went to Ebay and read their reselling fees and such and it all seemed so confusing or rather bothersome. Is it all worth it? I mean, I see people selling stuff for $1-$5 sometimes but Ebay takes a cut.
Correct me if I'm wrong?
TIA

6 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 7

It's worth it if you're selling higher priced items but if you are selling $1-5 items then it's got to be more volume sales to make it worth it.
It is good money sometimes, but a lot of effort!
Just my 2 cents.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 7

Frankly, it's not for me--too much effort for a few bucks. And yet I know some people who just LOVE their ebay selling experiences! I would suggest you try it and get a feel for it--that's the only real way to be sure.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 7

My ebay rule is to only list it if it sells for more than $10. Less than that and it's not worth it to me to go through the trouble of taking pics, packing and shipping. DM though does it for a living and she lists lots of items that sell for less than that. It is the volume that makes it worth it for her. I've seen people become power sellers though just by listing hundreds of auctions that sell for very little.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 7

..glad this topic has come up! My DH has, literally, a trailer full of old car parts that he wants me to list on Ebay. I don't even know what 90% of the parts are called...lol!

I was wondering if it's worth it..by the time I take the pics, upload the info..figure out a description, sell it, pack it and ship it...is it really worth all that?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:00am
post #6 of 7

It might be! Some of the old car parts do really well. Maybe he can help you ID them or you could just sell them as one big lot that would have to be picked up. A dealer or reseller would prob buy them. You don't usually make as much $ that way but it is a whole lot easier.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 12:34am
post #7 of 7

..yeah..DH owns a Chevrolet/Pontiac dealership (www.nncp.com...had to plug it!) but really loves old cars. A car can be on TV for 2 seconds and he can tell you the year, make, model and the kind of motor without batting an eyelash. It reminds me of a commercial!! I just have to get him to sit down long enough to help me with the descriptions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%