Another Cake Order!!! Need Help With Ideas Mardi Gras Cake

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 21 Feb 2007 , 4:21am by dldbrou

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 13

Ok need a cake for a 10 year old who likes everything but since her bday falls on Mardi Gras she wants a mardi gras cake for 20 people, sheet cake or square, but there is just tons of pictures!! How do I make a cute girly mardi gras cake for a 10 year old, I might be able to talk her into a round one she said do whatever I wanted too, I also don't know what to charge her she wants bc and vanilla, she'll pay me what I charge she just doesn't want a Walmart cake!thanks

12 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 13

Ck in the galleries. There are plenty of cakes there and you might get an idea.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 13

I'm from New Orleans and just had a huge MG party this weekend. The obvious cake would be a traditional king cake, but its not really a birthday cake.

I would make a basic cake and add Masks and beads. the traditional colors of mardi gras are purple green and gold. So do the trim out of that and you can make fondant masks and beads or buy them from a party place. The mother could give beads to all the attendees. Just click the search above and type in Mardi Gras for terrific ideas.

Also, Here's a link for an awesome cookie that is decorated as a mardi gras mask with feathers, it is made from a heart cookie. You could do the same with a heart cake pan.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_94789.html

Good Luck!!

notjustcake Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 13

wow those are some cute cookies!!!!!!!!! thanks for the tips!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 13

You could make a float cake with a queen and her tiara riding on top. I am also from Lafayette and since you are not making a traditional King Cake, just have fun and gop it up. It's for Mardi Gras and the gaudier the better. Lots of bling, bling.

notjustcake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 13

What is a float cake?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 13

A cake that is made to look like one of the floats in the parades!

aztomcat-please tell me you had some Popeyes chicken for me at the party!! That was one of our Mardi Gras season favs! icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 13

duh icon_redface.gif

dldbrou Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:17pm
post #9 of 13

Make a rectanglel cake and maybe put a small doll cake on top representing the queen w/ tiarra. Decorate the sides with purple, green, and gold swags or beads.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 13

I love this cake from the gallery-it is a more "simplified" mardi gras cake, but is very cute!

http://img.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/27964/normal_100_0306.JPG

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 13

I think a really pretty Mardi Gras mask would be nice. Maybe some beads.
Check out this link for inspiration
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/mardigras/

notjustcake Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:46am
post #12 of 13

Ok I decided what I will do, 8" square and 4" on top round, the bottom cake sides will have diamonds with gold dragees where diamonds connect, a fondant mask painted with purple pearl dust and gold dragees accents on top of the 4" not a very big mask though, then the bottom cake I can't decide to do green or yellow and the top cake purple or the whole cake in yellow because of the taste, and do all bead border in alternating mardi gras borders my boards will be covered in gold here are some picture of some cakes I saw earlier where I stole these ideas from tell me what you think I should do with the colors
bottom green top purple
all yellow

Oh at the bottom of the 4" cake I want to make fondant spirals like on one of these cake the bead bottom at the top and bottom border of the 8" square, and fleur di lis around the top 4" round

is this too much am I explaining this right
LL
LL
LL

dldbrou Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:21am
post #13 of 13

WOW, all of those are great cakes. You are going to do great no matter what you choose. All of your choices would work. Just draw it on paper and color it and then make you decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%