Coconut Cakes

Decorating By Debbie1721 Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 3:03am by NikkiDoc

Debbie1721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1721 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 9

This will be my first coconut cake for someones birthday which is for my Boss's wife's b'day. I need some suggestions and recipes. I've never made a coconut cake. Please help!!!!!

8 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 9

I use DH Coconut Supreme cake mix and add 1 box of instant coconut creme pudding. I then use the coconut filling from this site and the coconut buttercream.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 9

I generally make a white cake and add sweetened, flaked coconut to the batter, mixed in well. Then for the icing, I will ice with my usual icing and press coconut into the icing over the entire cake. For a filling, I will use a vanilla pudding with extra vanilla in it and more of the coconut. Sometimes I will add a little canned crushed pineapple to the pudding, too, especially if the Client likes pina colada flavor. Yummy!

HTH

Odessa

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 9

I start with a coconut creme cake mix and replace half the water with coconut creme coffee creamer, then use coconut creme pudding (made with 3/4 of the milk) as my filling.

~Chelle

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 9

I use my best yellow cake recipe, fill with pineapple filling and BC, frost in BC and press coconut into the cake, mixed with a little toasted coconut.

I have also made coconut cream cheese rum bundt cake. Everything baked into the cake.

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 9

I use the cake mix extender with a box of DH coconut cake but instead of the amount of water that the box calls for I use coconut milk and add a tsp of vanilla extract and 1 of coconut extract. It tastes yummmy!!

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 9

This is a recipe I found a few months ago online, I've made it several times and it is delicious and pretty to look at:

COCONUT LAYER CAKE

At Shubox Cafe, this dessert is known as Awesome Coconut Cake, aptly named by one of the cafes best customers. "My fiancé and I just love the coconut cake at the Shubox Cafe in nearby Cedar Grove," Tammy L. Drukker of North Caldwell, New Jersey. "The cake is tender and moist, and the cream cheese frosting is tangy and rich. I have yet to find a comparable recipe, so I hope the restaurant will share theirs." To make this recipe, youll need to buy one 15-ounce can of sweetened cream of coconut. Some of it is used in the cake; be sure to save the rest for the Cream Cheese Frosting.

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lépez)*
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

Pinch of salt

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 cups sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients and then buttermilk, each just until blended.

Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold beaten egg whites into batter.

Divide cake batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes. Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.

Place 1 cake layer on cake plate. Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer. Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere. (Coconut Layer Cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.)

*Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most supermarkets nationwide.

Makes 10 servings.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

In our test kitchen, Philadelphia-brand cream cheese gave us good results. This frosting would also be delicious on carrot cake or gingerbread.

2 8-ounce packages Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco Lépez)*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until fluffy. Add butter and beat to blend. Add sugar, sweetened cream of coconut and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.

*Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most supermarkets nationwide.

Makes 3 1/2 cups.

Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
December 1999
Shubox Cafe, Cedar Grove, NJ

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 1:18am
post #8 of 9

Coconut cake is one of my favorites. My favorite recipe came from my friends grandma it is yellow cake it can be scratch or box, use canned coconut milk instead of water all other ingredients stay the same. Bake it and cool it.
For the filling
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
mix them together until well blended, add in coconut anywhere from 1c.- 2 cups just depends on what you feel like doing.
Torte the cake and fill so that you have 4 layers cake, 3 layers filling.
Ice it with your favorite buttercream and put toasted coconut all around the cake. It tastes better if you leave it in the fridge for a whole day before serving. The sour cream coconut filling slowly soaks into the cake and makes it so yummy!.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 3:03am
post #9 of 9

My grandmother made a cake very similar Neni. It is my absolute all time favorite cake. She used white doctored mix and used the frozen coconut (thawed) sugar and sour cream filling. Then iced with whipped cream and covered in coconut. A trick she always did was let it sit chilled at least one day before serving. The oils come out of the coconut and the longer it sits in the frige the more intense the coconut flavor gets. It is awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%