Toba's Book

Baking By CarolAnn Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 8:38pm by splash2splat

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 11

I was pretty disappointed the other day when I looked at a Borders book store for The Well Decorated Cake and didn't find it. I don't go to the big city very often. I'd really like to look at it before I decide about buying. Has anyone found it in a store? I'm going t look at a bigger library today, maybe they'll have it.

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 11

Some stores have to order her books because they don't keep a great stock of cake decorating books on hand. Barnes and Noble is a good one for that and Borders is notorious for it! If you ask them to order it they will.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 11

Try amazon.com, you might get a better price

deb

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

Jessicas Biscuit also carries it, I believe.

I got her new book from there at the suggestion of a CC member. I think I paid $35 for it?

I'm glad I only paid that much for it. It was basically a rerun of "The Well Deocrated Cake" with a few addendums added in.

http://www.ecookbooks.com/

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 11

I wonder if you have the store order the book, if you can return it if you don't like it.
This might not help a ton, but I have the book and here's a rundown of what's in it. (Do you know her style already? Pretty intricate work, like what's on her website)

Chapter 1 is about Cake Decorating Tools - stuff most of us here already know, but it's only 3 pages

Chapter 2 goes into the different kinds of icings and when they're best used, then into coloring icings. 6 pages

Chapter 3 is Preparing and Icing the Cake. How to dam the cake and fill, crumb coating and applying final icing outside. The only thing different in this section was her "Spackling" technique where she mixes buttercream and cake crumbs to crumb coat the cake, she says it makes it sturdier... Goes into applying fondant, tiering cakes.

That's all less than 20% of the book before it goes into projects and actual techniques.

Chapter 4 she covers parchment bags, and right into using crimpers and stamps and other presses, and cutters for fondant.

Chapter 5 is buttercream basics - how-to for several basic piping skills including roses

Chapter 6 is royal icing. brush embroidery, satin stitch, freehand embroidery, flooding, then bridge and extension work that she does SO WELL. Then overpiping, borders and other interesing things. This is probably my favorite chapter - it's pretty inspiring and just beautiful. She goes into border designs, and flowers.

Chapter 7 is gumpaste. flower how-tos looksl ike about 8 to 10 of them

Chapter 8 is Ornaments, Inscriptions, Drapery & Toppers. Writing and plaques, bows, gumpaste bells, painting with food colors, a cute bride and groom mouse, sugar bubbles, pastillage boxes, fondant drapery, chocolate roses and bows

The last 25% of the book is a gallery of cakes and recipes.

I think it's a great book, so much is in there. A lot is duplicated in her newer book. The newer one is set up like an actual text book though.

And it's beautiful to look at all the way through, TONS of pictures of techniques and it reads pretty easier. Easier to decipher what they're talking about than the WIlton books, to me anyway.

I hope you are able to find it!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 11

In our neighborhood if the store orders the book you are not necessarily obligated to buy it. That's the beauty of it! I order stuff all the time I want to look at and if I don't buy it I just bring it back to the counter and tell them this doesn't have the information I need. No $$ lost!! icon_biggrin.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 11

I use the library system. It has saved me plenty of money. Check there through the inter library use program. Mine brings in books from other states etc..
Then if I like the book enough I go to Alibris which sells used, out of print and current books at a discounted price.
Worth a try. I have benefited from doing this.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 11

If you go through Borders you'll have to order it, either online or at the store. They don't carry it on the shelf. A friend of mine joked, "if they carry Toba's book on the shelf they'd have to get rid of one the 250 Rachel Ray titles." icon_lol.gif

Mickig

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 11

czyadgrl - what a nice thing to do, writing out all the descriptions! I know it must have taken you a while !

rockii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockii Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 11

i just orderd mine last week from borders. it only took them a week to get it in.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 11

I don't know about border but I know barnes and noble if you order and you look at it and decide you don't like it you don't have to buy it. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%