Holiday Cake-Off

Decorating By Nana2three Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 4:48pm by momsandraven

Nana2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana2three Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 17

Did anyone see this on the FoodNetwork this weekend? I loved all of the cakes....they were all so completely different it would be hard to pick a favorite!

16 replies
Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 17

I taped it but hopefully I'll watch it tonight.

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 17

i watched it and it was really good. i'm glad i'm not a judge. icon_biggrin.gif

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 17

All of those cakes were so impressive! I LOVE those shows! I have a question and I hope I can ask it clearly. The guy with dark hair who did the very tall cake had little red presents with gold swirls on them. It looked like he was brushing the gold on with a small paint roller or something--I thought the only way to apply that was to brush it on with a paintbrush. Does anyone know how he did that, or was the roller for something else?

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:28am
post #5 of 17

I saw it last night and didn't agree with the judges. The second place woman should have won. I think the guy that won did have a tremendous cake with a ton of work but the other cake was a CAKE. I just don't get the whole cake art thing where it really isn't edible. I think they should have them make sure the cake is edible and not just durable plaster to be fair to the other contestants that actually look like they made cakes.

The guy that didn't practice didn't impress me. I'm a newbie and with a few more months, I could have done that cake. LOL!

Does anyone know the ladies name that got second place? She was in another cake competition that Collette won on Food network too. Speaking of Collette, she's on Home Matters tonight and I tivoed it so off to watch.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:36am
post #6 of 17

I think the winner was well chosen. His cake was spectacular! I loved the 2nd place winners cake too but the tree branches ruined it for me.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:39am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL

All of those cakes were so impressive! I LOVE those shows! I have a question and I hope I can ask it clearly. The guy with dark hair who did the very tall cake had little red presents with gold swirls on them. It looked like he was brushing the gold on with a small paint roller or something--I thought the only way to apply that was to brush it on with a paintbrush. Does anyone know how he did that, or was the roller for something else?

It looked like a small paint roller kind of like one you might use to roll the ink on large stamps. It works the same way. Instead of painting on the gold with a small brush, he rolled it on trying to hit the raised surface which was a cornelli lace design I think...can't remember. If you noticed, some got on the lower surfaces too but it didn't affect the look...really pretty. I don't think you could use that method for intricate work where precision mattered though.

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 1:51am
post #8 of 17

Thanks for your reply on the roller--I would love to do a present cake like that!

The second place winner's name was Michelle Bommarito (hope I spelled that right). I liked her cake, too!

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 8:16am
post #9 of 17

I did see it, but also noticed that same decorater, Buddy I think was his first name, used a steamer for setting those little decorative boxes, and other places on the cake as well, never seen that before. Have any of you done this, and what does it do?

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 8:32am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou

Does anyone know the ladies name that got second place? She was in another cake competition that Collette won on Food network too. Speaking of Collette, she's on Home Matters tonight and I tivoed it so off to watch.

Here's Michelle's website:

http://michellebommarito.com/

I think her cakes are gorgeous!

As always, loved the competition show. icon_smile.gif Looking forward to more! Such inspirational cakes icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 17

I think he used the roller to paint on color, like the luster dusts, and then steam 'sets' the paint.

I noticed recently I made a gold chain and the paint actually rubbed off in my hand, so I think steaming it prevents that.

I did love the hand held steamer and FOR THE RECORD, I think 2nd place should have won. I loved Michelle's cake. To me it was sooooo holiday elegant.

The jack in the box was truly a work of art but was too cartoonish, childish for a holiday party. I think it would have made a better birthday or children's party cake.

michelle's cake just was over the top gorgeous. I loved her sugar 'glass' ornaments.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 17

I'm partial to Jack-in-the-box cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Nana2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana2three Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 17

Steaming makes the lustre dust shiny! I do this with my sugar flowers.

I loved Michelle's work, but have to admit I wasn't crazy about the branches sticking out of the cake.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:26pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks TickledPink, it makes sense now!

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 17

I thought the first place winner was well-chosen, although I wasn't too crazy for a big Santa head popping out. I really liked the second place winner's ornament technique, but I didn't like the branches.

vanna49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanna49 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 17

i didnt see this show but I have to agree with caribou that in a contest I think everything should be edible..too easy to put fake decorations on a cake ..hope I dont offend anyone but mho is a cake is to be eaten and decorations to be looked at....i am a newbie at cake decorating but I strive to make my cake look its best and be edible...with some exceptions as in wedding s

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 17

For all of those, like myself, who missed this the first time around, here is a list of showing times for this show:

November 27, 2005 10:00 PM ET/PT
November 28, 2005 2:00 AM ET/PT
December 01, 2005 11:00 PM ET/PT
December 02, 2005 3:00 AM ET/PT
December 03, 2005 6:00 PM ET/PT
December 04, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT
December 11, 2005 10:00 PM ET/PT
December 12, 2005 2:00 AM ET/PT
December 15, 2005 11:00 PM ET/PT
December 16, 2005 3:00 AM ET/PT
December 17, 2005 6:00 PM ET/PT
December 18, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT

Now, I need to teach my Mom how to tape on her VCR. LOL icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%