Cheap Practice Icing?

Decorating By simplyelegant Updated 19 Feb 2007 , 2:40am by MillyCakes

simplyelegant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyelegant Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:03am
post #1 of 5

Just wondering if this would work;. I work at a high school and the hospitality and tourism teacher asked me to help teach the students a lesson on basic cake decorating. She has two classes with a total of 45-50 students. She was wondering if instead of icing if we could mix together shortening and flour to get some sort of consisitence of icing. This is not to eat but to practice with the different tips and handwriting techniques. she just didn't want to spend all that money on icing sugar. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jen

4 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:18am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure if mixing flour and Crisco would work. If you go to Wal-Mart you can but the powdered sugar and it's pretty cheap.

I've heard of people just using plain Crisco for practice.

I don't know what kind of consistency you would get from flour and Crisco especially if you want to use it for writing. icon_smile.gif

The buttercream in the Wilton book makes a nice size batch and it's not expensive to make. If your just letting them try it out and there not eating eat they really don't need alot. I'll give you the recipe just incase.

Class Buttercream Icing ( this is for stiff consistency)

1c. of solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 t. vanilla ( you wont need this of your not eating it)
2 T. water
4 cups of powdered sugar
a pinch of salt ( you wont need this of your not eating it)

Cream your shortening and water. Add the dry ingredients and mix on medium untill all mixed together. Blen until it's nice and creamy.

This make 3 cups so you'll have to make a few batches.

Hope this helps,

Chrissy

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #3 of 5

High school kids! You know they're gonna lick it. icon_lol.gif

I don't think she'll save all that much by purchasing flour. You can buy sugar in bulk at BJ's/cosco/Sams.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:31am
post #4 of 5

I agree I get a 25 lb box of p.sugar at GFS for 13 dollars.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 5

I used a coupon from Michael's and got a tub of Wilton's decorator icing and use it to practice. I like it because it lasts for a long time and comes in a plastic tub. Plus - with a coupon - it saves me time and I can practice anytime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%