Americolor Colouring

Decorating By peanut2 Updated 3 Dec 2005 , 11:56pm by cake4you

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 31

For those of you who live in Ontario, do you know where Americolor food colouring can be purchased here? Does Michael's carry these products?

30 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 31

There is one supplier in Mississauga. It's by phone/fax only, but you can quote the colours/item #s directly from the US Americolor site.

Here is his info:

Petra International
1982 Royal Credit Blvd.
Mississauga, Ontario L5M 4Y1

tel 905-542-2409 / fax 905-542-2546

Get the "Red Red", "Super Black" and "Royal Purple" colourings for sure!!!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 31

Just as an FYI...Michaels' does not carry americolor. They have an agreement with Wilton. You will not find any other brand cake decorating supplies other than Wilton.

peanut2 Posted 28 Nov 2005 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 31

Thanks ladies!

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 31

I just bought, red-red, super black and navy blue from Petra International and I went there to pick up, there are not on Royal Crest, they are on Fewster Dr in Mississauga...here is there new info...I picked up from them just last week, so I know for sure that is where they are!!!

1260 Fewster Drive,
Mississauga, ON L4W 1A5
Tel. : 905-629-9269

antonia74 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 31

Thanks Cake4You!

I've never actually been, I get them to courrier it to me, so I just wrote what was on the invoices. (He should change that!!!) icon_mad.gif I've given the info out to about 20 people now!!

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 31

I do have a question? Where can I order Americolor online because I am at the point now where I am TIRED of dealing with Wilton's colors. I need something better and from what I see and read, Americolor is a lot better. Thanks! - Kenya

cake4you Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 31

antonia74 - he should change that!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif In fact when I e-mailed Americolor directly they responded back with that Royal Crest address...which is obviously wrong, so then I called Americolor they just told me the name and I did a canada411 search and found them....but I agree he should change that and with Americolor too!!!...and funny I asked him to courier them to me for convenience sake and he said it would cost a small fortune, so I picked them up....really how much could it be from Mississauga to Woodbridge??? How is the purple colour, I see you recommend it, is it way better....I will tell ya.....I went from white - white icing to black black with a few drops!!! I am sold, I wanna get all their colours now and you can't beat the price....$2.50cdn for a 4.5oz bottle, the Wilton bottles are $2.29cdn for 1oz!!!!

ken....not sure about where to get them that will ship to germany, try calling Americolor in california, mabye they can help you or at least direct you to somewhere that can ship to you??

antonia74 Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 31

I buy the colours from them that

1) I use most often
and
2) the ones that are the most difficult to dye

I absolutely recommend big bottles of:

Super Black (a miracle in a bottle!)
Red Red (finally a REALLY good red!!!!)
Burgundy (see the wedding cake in my Photos...unbelievably strong)
Chocolate Brown (makes chocolate icing MUCH darker if needed!)
Regal Purple (a few drops in fondant and it IS purple, not off-blue!)

They have a few "Electric" colours like neon orange, neon green & neon pink which are good. I used just a few drops to get the awesome neon colours for a recent cupcake tower wedding. (See my photos!)

I don't buy the colours that are easiest to do, like greens, yellow, pastels, etc. I stick with the Wilton for those.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake4you

I just bought, red-red, super black and navy blue from Petra International and I went there to pick up, there are not on Royal Crest, they are on Fewster Dr in Mississauga...here is there new info...I picked up from them just last week, so I know for sure that is where they are!!!

1260 Fewster Drive,
Mississauga, ON L4W 1A5

Do they have any other interesting products?? And what methods of payment do they accept??

Thanks icon_smile.gif

cake4you Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 31

They have the airbrush system and a few other things, I didn't get a chance to look around real good, was on lunch...I plan on going back this week-end if possible!! Not a very big place though....they accept cash, visa, m/c, not sure about interac.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:32am
post #12 of 31

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 2:41pm
post #13 of 31

Ken-you can get them at sugarcraft.com! Just look under colors for them. They really are something. I won't ever use the wilton colors again!

peanut2 Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 6:14pm
post #14 of 31

Cake4you, are you sure the phone number is correct? Should the area code be 416? I just called the number above and was told it was the wrong number. I checked to make sure I dialled correctly.

cake4you Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 6:20pm
post #15 of 31

peanut2 - I think I may have PM'd you the wrong number....try this

1260 Fewster Drive,
Mississauga, ON L4W 1A5

peanut2 Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 31

That's the number I called? I just checked my phone. The guy said it was the wrong number.
I really am a jinx.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

There is one supplier in Mississauga. It's by phone/fax only, but you can quote the colours/item #s directly from the US Americolor site.

Here is his info:

tel 905-542-2409 / fax 905-542-2546

this one works I tried it......

cake4you Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 31

Okay this is really wierd.....the number that antonia74 posted, I never had before I called, I called the number I posted to you peanut2....very strange.....but I do now FOR SURE that they are on Fewster Dr in Mississauga cause I was there, I have my colours....I think I'm gonna call again, cause I was going to go there tomorrow and get some other colours!!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:24pm
post #19 of 31

I just tried Americolor for the first time this morning. I used it on the poinsettia cake I posted for the ivory icing. I was very pleased with how it worked. Very smooth compared to the Wilton paste.

cake4you Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 31

Okay....here is the deal....I think....

both numbers are for Petra, the one antonia74 posted is his home and the one I posted is the store, if you call before 10am or after 4pm, the one I posted won't work....but the one antonia74 posted will work all the time very strange I know...but I just talked to him and he clarified for me....so I guess the long and short of it is....they both work....but they are most definately on Fewster Dr.

WHew.....

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:39pm
post #21 of 31

I went online searching for the americolor site. When I found it I emailed them to get info. and pricing sheet. They emailed me back and stated that if I didn't have my business yet, all they could do would be to sell me an airbrush system with 6 or 12 colors. Is there any other place I could get them besides americolor directly, where I don't have to purchase the airbrush system yet?

gilson6 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 31

I purchased them from a store in Sugarland. Just outside Houston. I can't remember what their website is. I have it at home and I'm at work. I'll try and PM the website to you later tonight.

gilson6 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 31

I found their website. It's: www.cakecraftshoppe.com. They priority mailed it to me and I received it within 3 days. The cost for individual Americolor is $1.25 a bottle. The bottle goes a long way.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 8:59pm
post #25 of 31

Thank you so much for the info gilson....wow that is way cheaper than wilton colors and if a little goes a long way then I'm set to go!!!!!!!!

gilson6 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 9:04pm
post #26 of 31

I really like that website. They have almost everything you could want for cake decorating. I really like the molds they have for fondant. Wish I could afford to splurge right now.

dodibug Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 10:15pm
post #27 of 31

They also have them at sugarcraft.com icon_smile.gif

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 2 Dec 2005 , 3:35pm
post #28 of 31

I tried to get the 4.5 oz super-red or red-red from sugarcraft and they were out, so I ended up getting both in the smaller size. I think the super-red gives a nicer red than the red-red. The red-red looked a bit salmon colored to me.

BTW, the people at sugarcraft were really nice about calling me and modifying my order.

dodibug Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 12:01pm
post #29 of 31

I agree about the red-red. And I'm glad you said the salmon color, I thought I was going crazy! I was tring to make poinsettias yesterday and had to run out and all I could get was Wilton Christmas red but after adding half the bottle-got a great red-haha!! I'm going to get some of the super red this next time. I thought that was what I was buying at the time but with a 13 month old I'm suprise when I get anything right rushing thru the store!! icon_lol.gif

peanut2 Posted 3 Dec 2005 , 3:51pm
post #30 of 31

I just got my order in yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting my colours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%