Cake Order Internet Scam

Decorating By saltystella Updated 19 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm by doescakestoo

saltystella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saltystella Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 27

I have read about this on forums here once or twice and believe it has now hit me. I was grocery shopping today and received a call via my cell where the person calling had to have everything relayed back and forth via a phone operator (very time consuming and annoying to say the least when your food shopping). Turns out by the time I get home there is an email from the same person who called with an extremely shady email about ordering $2000.- worth of wedding cakes. Strange....I know this must be a scam...just thought I'd pass on to all my friendly CC'ers what the email looked like! Just a heads up!

Warm wishes, Amy icon_lol.gif

Hello,
I introduce myself as Lisa Grant, and i am willing to make enquiries on the
Price and Types and size of your wedding cake. I am willing to spend at least
$2000 on the Cakes, so choose the best plan to meet the Wedding of my
Daughter. Pls understand that payment of the cakes would be by check, Dont
worry about delivery, i have a shipping company that would come round for
the pickup. Pls provide the following information, so we can get this started.

Payable Name:
Mailing Address ( no PO Box please)
Pickup Address of Cake ( if different from Mailing Address)
Tel No
Cell No ( if available)

P.S The cake is needed for the wedding which is stated for April, but i love
to make my plans ahead of time, so things dont get messed up, I am looking
for 5 types of Cakes, All tiers stacked or with pillars, or a mix of both. I am
looking for any design that you think its best, cos i dont have any pictures.
Mix the flavours up, cheesecake, chocolate cake, chocolate orange,chocolate
hazelnut cake, chocolate cake chocolate ganache filling. Let it be a square
cake or rounded cake, Let all sizes be 11'' . My Wedding date is 04/28/2007

I Look forward to reading an email from you soon as possible.

Warm Regards
Mrs Lisa Grant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 27

Wow, pretty detailed email! I probably wouldn't have recognized it as a scam , though, so thanks for the heads up! Although, I would have replied that i don't permit wedding cake pickup (*I* deliver!) and I would encourage a face-to-face sampling appt.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 27

That stinks! Thank goodness you realized it was a scam before you started any work or got too excited about it! I can't believe people would be like this...

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 27

This is interesting....what do think they are trying to do? Get ideas on pricing or take $ or what? Just interested....

saltystella Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 27

From what I've read here the check comes and there is some discrepancy about amount or the purchaser downsizes order and cake maker owes money back to purchaser and check was not good in the first place. To be honest, I never thought I would be involved in such a scam and probably didn't I'd need to recall exactly what the thread here on CC explained. Thank goodness for the prior thread that something like this at least sounded familiar.

I'll have to searcgh and see if I can find the prior forum discussion.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 27

MIchelle104- Here is one thing they try to do:

Even though you quote them a price for the cakes, they will send you a check for a sizable amount more so that YOU have to refund them some money in the form of a M.O. (they will ask for that so there is no stop payment)
Their original check won't be any good and YOU are out money with no business to show for it!

saltystella Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 27

You can put in a search here on CC for "update on cake scam" which was the original thread that I had read

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 27

I guess I'm just totally naive and too trusting! I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open!!! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I just can't believe that people think of this stuff! Man am I glad you guys posted this. Not that I would have been in danger as I don't have a website but still, the knowledge is priceless.... sad but priceless. icon_sad.gif

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 27

here's how I do wedding orders and this email would have been nul and void for me.
I require at least 6 months notice for weddings
I require a sit down meeitng with the bride and groom
I make a dummy cake at least 4 weeks prior to the wedding so the bride and groom can come look and tell me if anything needs changed
once the dummy cake has been accepted there are no changes on the real cake

I've read a lot about these scams and it really bothers me that there are people out there that think they can get away with this stuff.
I am getting ready to open my web site for the public, however, since i joined this site i've learned a lot and have made "rules" for myself that I will not take internet orders, I will have an email address on there for people to contact me with their phone number etc but i will only take orders in person and i will deliver ALL wedding cakes and cakes more then 1 layer high.
Amy

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 27

I totally saw something like this on Dateline. There were 2 phone operators who were speaking out against the crime that happens via the phone through the operators.

The operators said they are supposed to be providing a service, and yet they feel caught up in crimes being committed, like they are the middleman.

Because of the way the laws are set up, the operators are not allowed to disclose the info except to the party they are relaying the message to.
One operator talked about having to relay a message to a customer (obviously in a drug deal or gambling deal gone bad) that they had a certain number of days to come up with the money or would be killed.

They couldn't go to the police because they are technically just supposed to relay a message. These operators said criminals use them because they can't be identified or calls traced back (something like that...).

Scary! Way to be on your toes! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 27

that isn't jsut a cake thing - this type of scam is common. 1. never do anywork prior to the funds clearing. personally I don't take checks at all. 2. never accept a check for more than the amount owed. why would anyone do that?

ladyday95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyday95 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltystella

I have read about this on forums here once or twice and believe it has now hit me. I was grocery shopping today and received a call via my cell where the person calling had to have everything relayed back and forth via a phone operator (very time consuming and annoying to say the least when your food shopping). --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this happened to you. These type of phone scams are hurting many people. Some people need services of operators to be able to use the phone. Many times I tried to call someone and they just hang up so I have almost given up on using the phone for that reason.....I am one of those people (deaf). We use a relay service to be able to talk with hearing people on a phone. But the relay operator does explain the service first and explains to the person, they are talking for a deaf person. If the operator did not explain why they were using a relay then yes it was a scam.... Just wanted to let you know there are people who actually need to use an operator in this manner. but for me I usually use email or fax first... I do not like using the phone...

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 11:34pm
post #14 of 27

What a scam. . .

Is polygamy not illegal in her country? icon_lol.gif Her wedding is in April, yet she's Mrs. Lisa Grant. Interesting. . . icon_rolleyes.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:23am
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

What a scam. . .

Is polygamy not illegal in her country? icon_lol.gif Her wedding is in April, yet she's Mrs. Lisa Grant. Interesting. . . icon_rolleyes.gif

I think she said it was for her daugher... icon_smile.gif

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:24am
post #16 of 27
Quote:

What a scam. . .

Well it's for the wedding of her daughter or so she says in that First paragraph, hehe.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:30am
post #17 of 27

If I were you, I would report (forward) this e-mail directly to your internet provider.

deb

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:44am
post #18 of 27

foward the message to the attorney gerneral in your state.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #19 of 27

I would never have thought that people would be scamming on cake decorators!!! Sheesh!

I once got an email saying that this lady owned her own party shop & gets her cakes from someone else & wanted to talk prices with me. She then said she'd be soon moving to her own party shop. icon_confused.gif I asked her where she's from & she said a city a few hours from me (same state). So I then asked her what the name of her company was & where it's located & if she had a website.......I never heard from her again.

Funny how "your lady" said that she had a wedding coming up for her daughter......then goes on to say that her own wedding date is 4/28 icon_confused.gif

Glad you dodged that one

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:01am
post #20 of 27

The thing that really caught me was she first said it was her daughter's wedding and then said my wedding is 4/28/07. Good thing you caught it and didn't fall prey.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:19am
post #21 of 27

Christeena is correct about how the scam works. It is a varient on the pigeon drop.

What is interesting is that the fraud, more than likely, originated in another country. The writer of the e-mail is not a native English speaker. Reread the letter and pay attention to the grammar and punctuation errors. They aren't errors English speaker make; actually, I would be surprised if their native language even uses the Roman alphabet.

nglez09 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:28am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

Quote:

What a scam. . .

Lol. Now I feel like a dummy. icon_sad.gif

nglez09 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:29am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltystella

My Wedding date is 04/28/2007

That's what confused me. . .

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 1:50am
post #24 of 27

I got a phone call it said unknown name and number on my Ident a phone. From a Lisa who's wedding is April 28th. I told her she would have to come in for an appointment as I don't conduct business over the phone and she would require a deposit I gave her the date for the appointment and she said she would have to get back to me which she never did. I just phoned the number she gave me a cell phone number and it went to a recording that said sorry your party is not available. I left a message are you interested in coming for the appointment on such and such a day and time please return my call otherwise I will assume that you have shopped elsewhere. So far no reply. It seems so coincidental after reading these posts. I hope if she is a scam artist I have gotten rid of her. Makes you a whole lot more cautious.

Kathy

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 10:14am
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

Quote:

What a scam. . .

Lol. Now I feel like a dummy. icon_sad.gif

Don't.. because she also said it was her own wedding a little later on. LOL

Maybe she's her mother and her daughter?! icon_lol.gif

nglez09 Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 8:42pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_B

Don't.. because she also said it was her own wedding a little later on. LOL

Maybe she's her mother and her daughter?! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 8:56pm
post #27 of 27

This has also been dicussed on Sugarcraft site just lately. Same MO (mod of operendi) cop talk here- so every one out there needs to be aware of the scam and ask more questions. If they fall for it do not send any money before the check clears, if it does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%