How Do I Stop Ooze?

Decorating By craftygillespie Updated 29 Mar 2005 , 12:11am by p106_peppy

craftygillespie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftygillespie Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!
I need help! I make a black forrest cake with two 9" layers, that I divide/torte so i end up with a 4 layer cake. The top and bottom layers I fill with buttercream. The middle I fill with cherry pie filling. I do make a dam around the edges with buttercream, but still have ooze issues. Should I ice the layer, then make the dam, then add the cherries? I need any ideas I can get. It's not a huge heavy cake so I didn't think it'd be a problem. Should I use a different filling or add something to the store bought filling I use (comstock).
Thanks!

5 replies
KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

USE TIP 1B AND GO AROUND TWICE. ONE ON TOP OF THE OTHER AND MINE DOESN'T OOZE OUT. DON'T PUT THAT MUCH FILLING IN EITHER. DON'T MAKE IT COME EVEN WITH THE TOP RING. HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 6

you could also double the dam too. you could go around the outside edge twice and you could also add another ring of frosting inside the outer layer. I would think that would stop the oozing.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 6

I think you should ice the bottom of the layer too. It might be oozing because your dam isn't leak-proof.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Mar 2005 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 6

Make sure your damn is of medium to medium/stiff consistency! icon_smile.gif

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 29 Mar 2005 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

If you're using cherry pie filling, then I recommend that after opening the can, you put it in a sieve and try to drain out as much of the goo as possible.

Also, make sure you level your cakes before trying to assemble it.

And then don't spread the filling all the way to the edge, leave 1/2 an inch or so with no filling.

Black forest cake is not made with buttercream, try using whipped cream, with a stabilizer added instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%